• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam's 35th Year Marked With Reconguista in G, The Origin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

How delusional can one get ? Rolling Eyes
Gundam Wing was a great success in the US. Because at the time it aired it was new.

It did well because that show plays well to that audience and doesn't require a ton of investment in the show. It was new at the time and there was no other show on toonami like it.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Bandai should have gone forward pressing with Seed and Destiny (and these 2 shows in Japan are all the rage for the post 0079 fans). Instead they went from Gundam Wing to 0079 and caos insued.

You have this completely wrong. They didn't choose 0079 over SEED. SEED wasn't even out yet when Gundam Wing aired. Secondly, SEED DID air on TV in the US. AFAIK it didn't do that well.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

It was pretty obvious modern fans that took to Gundam Wing would never accept the old animation of 0079 (narrative quality notwithstanding).

That's exactly what I said. That 0079 was too old for the audience to get into. Despite the fact that it's an excellent show.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Hence the death of the Gundam franchise in the US. Gundam in the US was not niche. It became niche because of brain dead decisions to support a 40 year old show that no one cared about.

Ok, so first two sentences kind of contradict each other.

Do please enlighten me though how Bandai has supported UC Gundam, since, before Unicorn, there hadn't been a UC show in years. This resurgence in UC related media is only because of the positive reception and interest in Unicorn.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Continue to insist on 0079 is just idiotic. Bandai were they ever to make a Gundam comeback should just forget about 0079 and bring Gundam 00 and the NEW series.

Gundam 00 aired on TV over here, so I have no idea what you're talking about when you say they should "bring" it. AGE by most accounts is pretty terrible, so that's out. Unicorn has been coming out here, it'd be nice to see that on TV though.

What's really hurting Gundam is a lack of quality, the series was in a slump before Unicorn, and my hope is that it doesn't continue after. If the UC focus is going to bring quality back to Gundam, than I'm all for it. 0079 contain my favorite Gundam shows.

Besides newer Gundam AU shows are just a facade of tropes and homages the original shows invented. [/b]
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Wasn't SEED not even in existence when Bandai pushed 0079 in America (since I seem to recall TURRRURISM making them cancel the TV run)? So not only could they have not pursued that avenue, it would taken like another year or more for them to have even gotten it to us dubbed. Also, maybe you're just being hyperbolic, but 0079 was only like ~22 years old at the time...

Either way, they did follow it up with G Gundam, which became a hit here, so maybe they should have tried for X after its failure in Japan. I think that may have caught on at the time just fine. I'd have certainly dug seeing that on TV after Wing. They did also run 08th MS Team and other UC OVAs and films for the Midnight Run as specials; it'd have been cooler if them kept them in circulation longer.

Ok maybe I was being a little bit hyperbolic but the kernel still stands. Gundam was not niche in the US. It became niche because of stupid decisions by Bandai/Sunrise (at the broadcasting level and at the merchandise level). Japan and the US are not the same. Just because 0079 is an institution in Japan doesn't imply it will be that way in other countries. You cannot attract new fans by showing them 20-30 year old shows. It is simple common sense.
redranger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is a shame. Nothing here to get excited about. Just UC shit. And a new Gundam anime....but it's being directed by tomino. I'll be expecting a piece of shit, just like everything else he's been in charge of. I hope the next Gundam in 2017 is worth watching. Nothing seems to measure up to 00.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Awesome to see Yoshida doing full character designs for a new show!

Charred Knight wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
I was watching the Reconguista trailer and all I could think was "... You sure this isn't a Bones show?" Laughing

Of course I'll watch it all the same.

Tomino first used Yoshida for Overman King Gainer a few years before Eureka 7 came out.

Yeah.

Though given E7 is his signature work I can understand expecting it to be BONES when seeing his artwork Smile
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
redranger wrote:
Well, this is a shame. Nothing here to get excited about. Just UC shit. And a new Gundam anime....but it's being directed by tomino. I'll be expecting a piece of shit, just like everything else he's been in charge of. I hope the next Gundam in 2017 is worth watching. Nothing seems to measure up to 00.
UC shit? How can you be a Gundam fan and not like UC stuff? Not all clearly, but UC and it's stylings run through the entire franchise.

A shame? Nothing to get excited about? An adaptation of one of the best Gundam things out there? The conclusion of a pretty well done Gundam series? A new and different looking Gundam show?These aren't things to get excited for and are a shame? Do you even like Gundam?

Clearly you aren't if your claiming everything Tomino has done has been bad. Get some perspective and watch Turn A Gundam for Christ sakes. If this new Gundam show(I guess a new an interesting ACTUAL Gundam show is'nt exciting) is even half as good as Turn A that would be fantastic.

Jesus Gundam 00 was such a pos after Season 1 and that movie.... You think thats good and want to take a crap on UC?

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Very, very happy by the news. Any new Unicorn footage and news is welcome in my book and I'm happy to see Char & Sayla's backstory finally get animated, as there is a lot of interesting items to explore. The biggest surprise for me (and maybe not) is seeing Tomino return to the airwaves with a Gundam series for the first time since the last big anniversary one, Turn A, nearly 15 years ago. Considering the amount of rehashes the last few years (both aesthetically and thematically), I'm down for an out-there Gundam series that doesn't hug the line. Unfortunately, I'm sure some will scream "Eureka 7/BONES" knockoff stuff because of its looks and Yoshida's designs, which is ironic given where BONES came from, the latter's own history with Tomino, and Turn A & Overman King Gainer's own pre-E7 visuals. I would not get too worked up over it.

I have always enjoyed Tomino's style of storytelling and dialogue, and I thought he was done, period, with doing Gundam TV shows, but now this treat has come along. I'm intrigued by the prospect of UC pulling a "UC" and changing its calendar to reflect a "clean slate" (if that indeed is the case). I also wonder how many years it takes place after Victory and whether Tomino may try to shoehorn it into Turn A as prequel (Turn A Space, or was that supposed to be a sequel and possible tie-in with all of his other works?)).

On a separate note, to address a previous poster, Turn A is actually an AU series (taking place in the CC ("Correct Century") era, not a UC series. It was meant to "connect" the UC and AU series together, but it was more of an in-story sort of thing than a total canon attempt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
I'm somewhat relieved that The Origin will not be a full-out remake of the original show. Although as far as supplementary stuff for the Universal Century goes, I'm still hoping that they'll do something with Operation British and the Battle of Loum.

As for G Reconguista, I'm expecting a neverending influx of comments comparing it to Eureka Seven.

That would be a good thing if it reaches that quality and also delivers among the better Gundam shows, Eureka Seven was an excellent series. And they've worked together before so it should be cool and he does really cool animation (with both studios in E7 and Overman King Gainer). I'm really looking forward to it.

Yuugo Kanno just did an awesome job on Psycho-Pass's soundtrack, can't wait to hear his music for a Gundam project.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
At this point I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone,however Tomino said that G Reco won't be aimed at UC fans but at kids.
http://zakitakubu.com/2014/03/20/tomino-reconguista-is-not-for-the-uc-fans-but-for-children/
ChexGuy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
-snip-

Dude. It's one thing to get flamebaited, but it's another thing to get flamebaited by someone with 0 taste. You gotta step back and ignore those kinds of sub-human organisms.

danilo07 wrote:
At this point I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone,however Tomino said that G Reco won't be aimed at UC fans but at kids.
http://zakitakubu.com/2014/03/20/tomino-reconguista-is-not-for-the-uc-fans-but-for-children/

As long as it doesn't turn out like Brain Powerd, everything will be fine.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:58 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Tomino said that G Reco won't be aimed at UC fans but at kids.

So was Ideon and look at how that turned out. Razz
Eivion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleased with this news. I had no interest in Origin at all so I was never particularly excited to hear it was being animated let alone potentially a full blown series.

Reconguista looks like it could be interesting, and I'm curious to see what Tomino has done with it.

Also happy to see something new on Unicorn.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully we'll hear something soon about the US release of the last Gundam Unicorn blu-ray with the dub especially since at least on CDJapan this time the Japanese disc doesn't appear to have it.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it is aimed at children. If the show is good it will find its audience. The same thing happened with Gundam Build Fighters, a show specifically designed to appeal to kids (after the Age debacle) and yet UC fans watch it too.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:

I have always enjoyed Tomino's style of storytelling and dialogue, and I thought he was done, period, with doing Gundam TV shows, but now this treat has come along. I'm intrigued by the prospect of UC pulling a "UC" and changing its calendar to reflect a "clean slate" (if that indeed is the case). I also wonder how many years it takes place after Victory and whether Tomino may try to shoehorn it into Turn A as prequel (Turn A Space, or was that supposed to be a sequel and possible tie-in with all of his other works?)).

On a separate note, to address a previous poster, Turn A is actually an AU series (taking place in the CC ("Correct Century") era, not a UC series. It was meant to "connect" the UC and AU series together, but it was more of an in-story sort of thing than a total canon attempt.

I figure the space elevator in this is supposed to be the same one mentioned in Turn A. I could be wrong. My impression was that this series was supposed to take place some time in the 10,000 years or so between Victory and Turn A.

DangerMouse wrote:
Hopefully we'll hear something soon about the US release of the last Gundam Unicorn blu-ray with the dub especially since at least on CDJapan this time the Japanese disc doesn't appear to have it.

I believe its already up for pre-order on Right Stuf.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
"This video has not been released in your country." (And I'm in Japan!!!)

Anyway, good news all around (though Unicorn #7 isn't exactly news; everybody knew that was coming). Tomino has had his hits and misses over the years, but I do like his style of storytelling, and it makes me a little sad to hear people dumping on him so much these days; you just have to pay a little more attention to follow his shows, which I don't think is a bad thing.

(That said, I've never seen "Brain Powerd." Does that one really not make any sense, or does its reputation just come from people not paying close enough attention?)

The Origin announcement is a bit of a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, I'd have liked confirmation that the whole thing was going to be adapted. OTOH, we now know we'll be getting some of it, and possibly at Unicorn levels of animation quality. Such OVAs cost a lot of money to make, so it does make sense for them to test the waters before committing to the whole thing. But I have little doubt that if we buy (not pirate) it, Sunrise'll make more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5