• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam's 35th Year Marked With Reconguista in G, The Origin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Hopefully we'll hear something soon about the US release of the last Gundam Unicorn blu-ray with the dub especially since at least on CDJapan this time the Japanese disc doesn't appear to have it.

I believe its already up for pre-order on Right Stuf.

Ah excellent! Thanks, they must have added it relatively recently since I thought I checked. Thanks! Pre-order going in.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
(That said, I've never seen "Brain Powerd." Does that one really not make any sense, or does its reputation just come from people not paying close enough attention?)

I actually remember it making more sense to me then a lot of other shows back when I watched it. But, I still didn't like it. I think it had more to do with the fact that it just felt so boring and tedious.

It did produce one of if not my favorite Yoko Kano soundtracks though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Mm, definitely will be checking this out
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
When Tomino says, "It's for kids!" I imagine him with a giant, wicked grin on his face.

Everything he's ever done is for kids. It doesn't stop him from wiping out nine or ten kid characters every time he's at the helm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
pajmo9 wrote:
vanfanel wrote:
(That said, I've never seen "Brain Powerd." Does that one really not make any sense, or does its reputation just come from people not paying close enough attention?)

I actually remember it making more sense to me then a lot of other shows back when I watched it. But, I still didn't like it. I think it had more to do with the fact that it just felt so boring and tedious.

It did produce one of if not my favorite Yoko Kano soundtracks though.

While practically every other Sunrise mecha series gets this sort of reputation nowadays and a lot of it comes from people just being...well...difficult and developing extreme tunnel vision to the point of being impossible to satisfy there is some truth to it in this case similar to Gundam Age's reputation as a poor work albeit with an absurdly inflated negative reputation obviously.

Brain Powerd's themes largely center around the ideas of evolution, genealogy and fate vs. free will and whether they all actually go hand in hand or not. It's not the first time mecha anime has tackled such themes and character motivations, but what makes Brain Powerd a strange watch is how awkward the pacing and dialogue can be at times. More than perhaps any other mecha series I've seen it's often really hard to get a grasp on how much time has passed between episodes and even between some scenes. Quite often a significant amount of time is supposed to have passed and there's no indication as to it actually happening for example more than a year passes between the first and second episode yet it's only indicated at all in some throwaway line of dialogue and even then not even all that well. Also sometimes the series sense of what to communicate exposition wise with regard to the characters and their motivations or just even with the current status quo of events feels like a case of mixed up priorities. As in the things we really should be learning more about are kept cryptic while what feels irrelevant is waxed on at length. This was kind of par for the course for a lot of sci-fi stuff that was coming out at the end of the 20th century though so I don't really hold it against this series so much in particular as it's kind of a product of it's time for better or worse.

To me really Brain Powerd is kind of just another one of those really oddball non-Gundam Tomino shows picking up on the trends of the late 90's while also retaining a lot of his old school, some would argue stubborn approach to directing, but I felt it came together in the end more than a lot of people give it credit for.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside that every Gundam TV anime ever made has been "for children", Tomino's comments on Gundam's 35th anniversary seem relevant to that matter and Reconguista itself:

Quote:
Regarding the 35th anniversary of Gundam, we are given the opportunity to express our words of gratitude thanks to all of you. Originating from the Giant Robot genre, it has enjoyed long-standing support over time, and became the talked-about creative work today. For the strong support you have shown over these many years, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sadly, people age over time. It feels like there should be evolving works of Gundam which deals with those issues. To this point, building a road that leads to a rebirth of Gundam is something I hold dear.

It is always a challenging process to create a Gundam that can be enjoyed by any generation's children. However, as we keep these worries to ourselves, we are able to create a Gundam world for the next generation.

To that end, we must seek a new standard bearer. As we mind each other's health, let us have engaging dialogue about these issues.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Putting aside that every Gundam TV anime ever made has been "for children", Tomino's comments on Gundam's 35th anniversary seem relevant to that matter and Reconguista itself:

Quote:
Regarding the 35th anniversary of Gundam, we are given the opportunity to express our words of gratitude thanks to all of you. Originating from the Giant Robot genre, it has enjoyed long-standing support over time, and became the talked-about creative work today. For the strong support you have shown over these many years, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sadly, people age over time. It feels like there should be evolving works of Gundam which deals with those issues. To this point, building a road that leads to a rebirth of Gundam is something I hold dear.

It is always a challenging process to create a Gundam that can be enjoyed by any generation's children. However, as we keep these worries to ourselves, we are able to create a Gundam world for the next generation.

To that end, we must seek a new standard bearer. As we mind each other's health, let us have engaging dialogue about these issues.

If the fanbase for Gundam in Japan is anything like the one here I think a reasonable and engaging dialogue is way to much to ask here. Still the effort is appreciated, best of luck to the team on G-Reco.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the responses to my little "Brain Powerd" digression. Very interesting. And yes!!: although I've never seen the anime, I've got both OSTs, which I put right up there with Kanno's "Escaflowne" and "Macross Plus" work.

The Tomino comments just quoted put me in mind of something I always found regrettable about the many Macross sequels: turning what was innovative about the original into a formula rather than continuing to innovate, and explore other aspects of the world they've built. (It shouldn't have to be pilots+singers+music saves the day every time.)

(Edit: With the exception of most of ZZ, ) I love the UC Gundam continuity from the movie trilogy through Char's Counterattack, and on second watch, F-91 was actually pretty good, too (Victory is the one I pretend doesn't exist). Still, you can't keep doing the same thing over and over forever. Well, I guess you can, actually, since there's always a new crop of kids who haven't seen it already. But for the UC continuity, the main story is long since completed. To continue in that timeline, it probably is time to do something new. Hopefully Tomino has some ideas ready that can set up a good future direction for the franchise.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
I hope that Origin will get the same treatment of UC of including sub on the BD release. The omission of the sub in the upcoming 0079 movies BD set was very disappointing Crying or Very sad

Humm I hope that the OVAs will feature older Char (and Amuro) in some parts voiced of course by Shuuchi Ikeda and Tohru Furuya Smile
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Really excited for Reconguista. It sounds and looks pretty fresh. It already has pretty good character designs, the best the franchise has seen in a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
VPedge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
redranger wrote:
Well, this is a shame. Nothing here to get excited about. Just UC shit. And a new Gundam anime....but it's being directed by tomino. I'll be expecting a piece of shit, just like everything else he's been in charge of. I hope the next Gundam in 2017 is worth watching. Nothing seems to measure up to 00.
UC shit? How can you be a Gundam fan and not like UC stuff? Not all clearly, but UC and it's stylings run through the entire franchise.

A shame? Nothing to get excited about? An adaptation of one of the best Gundam things out there? The conclusion of a pretty well done Gundam series? A new and different looking Gundam show?These aren't things to get excited for and are a shame? Do you even like Gundam?

Clearly you aren't if your claiming everything Tomino has done has been bad. Get some perspective and watch Turn A Gundam for Christ sakes. If this new Gundam show(I guess a new an interesting ACTUAL Gundam show is'nt exciting) is even half as good as Turn A that would be fantastic.

Jesus Gundam 00 was such a pos after Season 1 and that movie.... You think thats good and want to take a crap on UC?

Very amusing you are trying to attack someone based on what they like in gundam. I know a number of people who could give a shit about the UC timeline but I don't berate them let alone say they have 0 taste but then again UC fanboy's think anything that isn't UC is shit Rolling Eyes

Edit:
ChexGuy wrote:

Dude. It's one thing to get flamebaited, but it's another thing to get flamebaited by someone with 0 taste. You gotta step back and ignore those kinds of sub-human organisms.

case and point
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Very amusing you are trying to attack someone based on what they like in gundam.
Whats amusing is you're inability to actually understand whats being said.

I'm not attacking/questioning someone on liking Gundam for whatever thier own reasons. I'm attacking/questioning someone fall calling all of UC Gundam "shit" and then saying everything Tomino has made is shit. Then proclaiming that three diffrent and exciting Gundam projects are bad and that it's a "shame" that they were announced. Making claims like that sure make you seem dense when you right off plenty of shows of varying quality just because they take place in one timeline. I'm sorry, you don't like Gundam if you think all UC sucks especially when pretty much every Gundam show draws from UC, especially 00. You are not a Gundam fan if your idea of Gundam is everything in the UC is terrible. What do you like Gundam for then? Do you just like 00 because it had good character designs? Because it can't be the themes, storytelling motifs, and whatnot that run throughout all Gundam shows. Hell, if you actually like all of 00,including the 2nd Season which is far more like a UC Gundam show then the first season then how can you claim all of UC is terrible?

It only gets into an opinionated area when you try to push 00 as the high point of the franchisee.

Quote:
I know a number of people who could give a shit about the UC timeline
Well then they don't actually like Gundam. Simple as that.

Quote:
but I don't berate them let alone say they have 0 taste
That's nice.
Quote:

but then again UC fanboy's think anything that isn't UC is shit Rolling Eyes
Clearly reading comprehension is lost on you. Did I say non UC Gundam shows suck? Actually no. I like Seed, Wing, X, and G just fine. Actually if you could read I listed Turn A(a AU show really) as being great. Also you'd notice that I said 00 was a pos after season 1.....wait.............does that mean I think Season 1 was actually good? Well I would think so since I didn't say all of 00 sucked. I also implied that some of UC is bad. So much for being a UC fanboy huh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5