• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Impenetrable Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Speaking of sport seires, despite Funimation's well known avoidance in modern times of sports anime, I assume either that didn't apply yet in early 2009 when they licensed Bamboo Blade, or they don't consider it a sports anime.

Kendo is a relatively popular sport for those into anime overseas because it involves swords (bamboo or otherwise). Sure, it's not widely practiced but a lot of them enjoy the idea of seeing them hitting each other with sticks. Plus it's got cute girls and comedy. I can't say much the same about Bamboo Blade's own popularity, but shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo and Afro Samurai have managed to carve out its own respectable fanbase because of the whole cool samurai theme.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sylpher3 wrote:
Interesting. Are there any well-known names of these commercially failed anime aimed at a Western audience?

Cowboy Bebop...

Interesting that you bought up Cowboy Bebop as being among anime failures within Japan...
Not to say that it was as big of a hit there as it was in the U.S., but I thought that show had a fairly good reception?
Perhaps I might be missing the reason as to why that may be the case...
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Maybe "fail" is the wrong word, especially since I cannot remember the details, but I'm relatively sure it didn't make much money, if any, in Japan. Justin could probably correct me if I'm wrong.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Among those originally targeting American audiences:

Didn't Heroman bomb pretty bad in Japan?

What about the Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men, and Blade TV anime series?
There's also the Batman: Gotham Knight OVAs, and the Halo anime OVAs.

A while back there was also Skull Man...
RedHotPT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Yeah... pretty much only Japan, and a few hispanic countries like sports anime, from what I noticed.

Depends on the sport, I would be surprised if a football(soccer) anime would not get subbed by the European fanbase.

Im from Portugal. Here football(soccer) anime is pretty big.
One of our best players "Cristiano Ronaldo" have said to be influenced by "Captain Tsubasa" and in a channel they have "Inazuma Eleven" dubbed in Portuguese.

When i was kid i remember watch almost all episodes of "Captain Tsubasa" on TV and, if i remember correctly it have Portuguese subtitles.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sylpher3 wrote:
Interesting. Are there any well-known names of these commercially failed anime aimed at a Western audience?

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and The Big O did pretty bad in Japan. So did Redline.

I think he was asking about anime that was made for a Western audience but failed to achieve a profit from the western market, not what failed in Japan but did well in America
consignia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Was Skullman aimed at foreign audiences? It didn't feel like it was particularly looking beyond Japanese fans. Not saying it succeeded in gaining an audience like...
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Didn't Heroman bomb pretty bad in Japan?

What about the Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men, and Blade TV anime series?
There's also the Batman: Gotham Knight OVAs, and the Halo anime OVAs.

I'm pretty sure Japan didn't give a crap about Heroman to Halo in your list, which isn't surprising. What do they care about our superheroes or creations really?

As for Skull Man, I'm pretty sure he was intended for Japanese audiences. What gave you the impression he was meant for overseas?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Maybe "fail" is the wrong word, especially since I cannot remember the details, but I'm relatively sure it didn't make much money, if any, in Japan. Justin could probably correct me if I'm wrong.

It was very popular and sold very well. Cowboy Bebop averaged fifteen thousand copies per volume. This back in the nineties when selling more than ten thousand copies per volume was way more difficult than it is today.

Don't believe the "only Western fans appreciate Bebop" garbage that certain people spout.

CorneredAngel wrote:
All due respect, that still doesn't really answer the underlying question. Not that I have any interest in breaking into the world of anime dubbing, but if I did, just some of the things I would want to know could be:

- How would I find out who exactly to send my reels to?
- What specifically would I put on my reels? How long should the reel be? With how many different voices/roles?
- Are there places to look for actual solicitations/openings

If you are an actor then you won't have to worry about what to put on a reel because you'll already have one anyway. In other words, get into the acting industry first; theatre is one of the best places to hone your skills, and small community groups do accept newcomers. Once you've done that for a while, then worry about anime. Do not attempt to break straight into anime without doing proper acting work first or else you'll almost certainly fail.

As to where to send your reel, to the various dubbing studios I guess? Keep sending it until someone responds, don't give up hope. Also update your reel if/when your skills improve so that you're always putting your best foot forward.
thenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I used to think Drama CDs were the coolest thing. The past several years I really don't care, even if they came out in english there aren't many i would bother listening too. I have listened to the FLCL radio dramas (since I got the CDs and they came on it) and I've listened to/read translations to the Pokemon radio dramas made for the first movie. If you really really love a show it adds to that love but it's nothing special usually, just additional side stories.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I saw the "After the end" on youtube once, and I found myself laughing a lot. I also remember how many fansites used to have translations of the drama cds. But I agree that they are of the hardest products to market outside japan. If OST cds didn't exactly suceed on the outside market a drama cd would be probably even harder.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
All due respect, that still doesn't really answer the underlying question. Not that I have any interest in breaking into the world of anime dubbing, but if I did, just some of the things I would want to know could be:
- How would I find out who exactly to send my reels to?
- What specifically would I put on my reels? How long should the reel be? With how many different voices/roles?
- Are there places to look for actual solicitations/openings

I'm giving general advice. I am not going to hold anyone's hand as they try to get a job, telling them exactly where to apply and when. There are tons of resources out there for wannabe voice actors, and very few ways to get in the door. Enough people know the usual dubbing studios and have Google. If you have to write into a public Q&A column for that, you are beyond hope.

Sylpher3 wrote:

Series like Escaflowne obviously did a lot better in the US than Japan, but I don't think they were made specifically with an American audience in mind. Things produced SPECIFICALLY to appeal to Americans would be stuff like Heroman, the second season of The Big O, Heat Guy J, IGPX, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Little Nemo.

VHD: Bloodlust seemed to do OK here, but behind the scenes was a special kind of clusterfuck that I'm still trying to get someone in the know to go on the record about. Someday...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
VHD: Bloodlust seemed to do OK here, but behind the scenes was a special kind of clusterfuck that I'm still trying to get someone in the know to go on the record about. Someday...
This is what i want to hear about, man.

Also i believe that English voice actors aren't given a choice of where they want to be, it's where they can get work not I'm here because of anime. We would have 90's dubs all over again if they just hired fans or people with no voice experience. Nearly every Big movie actor or VA has an extensive background in a ton of other things not just "I like anime". Our Engish VA's , especially the eccentric ones can be blamed for giving fans these delusional thoughts.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder when this subset of western fans who are obsessed with the possibility of Japan caring about western tastes will finally die out. Because they're always "JAPAN'S GONNA LISTEN TO US ONE DAY AND MAKE THE NEXT COWBOY BEBOP". They need to realize that that will basically never happen. Not only it anime niche even in Japan but Japan is not a fan of caring about what gaijin think no matter where they come from. When are these western fans finna stop...
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are many anime that I wanted to purchase and watch in English such as Star Driver, Heroman, Tegami Bachi, and Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (and if I recall, Funimation has Reborn! licensed but isn't doing anything with it)

Wait, what? Funimation has Reborn? That's news to me... Rolling Eyes

No one has Reborn in the states. Viz only has streaming rights and doesn't want to release a home video release of it. They also like to warm their butts on the manga license and do nothing but fart on it considering how bad they treated the translations.

There are many anime I believe should get an English dub, but doesn't. What the anime companies find appealing to make English dubs of sometimes baffle me....but it's their money, their decision, I guess. I would buy shows I like whether they're dubbed or subbed, if they ever get released. If not, the companies just don't want my money and I'll give it straight to Japan...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10