• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Impenetrable Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
I expect if I knew Japanese I would love CD dramas but unfortunately not having that skill drama CDs have little value to me.

However I do love listening to audio dramas in English. I listen to a bunch from the UK and recently have gotten quite into Big Finish productions. They are usually what gets me through a day at work.
RedHotPT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
There are about 120 animes this season.

Almost half if Kodomo and young teen shows, but in the outer half there are the mainstream anime and the late night anime. The variety is such that is almost impossible not find some anime that people like.

That is what is great about anime, the number of subjects in the shows (action, drama, romance, comedy, fantasy, mecha, martial arts, BL, yuri, slice of life, sports, fan service and moe).

Never have been so many animes by season and with so much variety.
Been Japanese, American or European, its possible to find animes you like.

Anime have few fans in western countries, and instead of attack the tastes of the other anime fans, we should be united defending anime in general.

Im happy when appear new mainstreams anime, happy when appear new BL or yuri anime, and happy when appear new moe, harem , fan service animes. What is important is that are new animes in the season you can chose your favorites from.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
^^
Quoted for truth.

Banken wrote:
The shows that are popular in Japan but nowhere else are almost always fan-pandering crap. The shows that are popular everywhere always have merit of some kind.

Rolling Eyes That's funny, you're a funny guy, I like you. All this ethnocentrism some American fans display is absolutely hilarious to watch. Always fun to see a country that has zero stake in an foreign industry insist they're the only people who matter.

Parse Error wrote:
Serious use of those and similar labels frequently go hand in hand with this notion that the entire industry has been "ruined" or "killed" because it caters to the "wrong" and alien audience - the natural, "correct" audience being the person complaining and those with similar interests, of course.

People who legitimately say that show they have NO idea about the industry outside their little nostalgia bubble. Anime back during the 80s and 90s was HORRIBLE. There was only about 25 shows made a year. Less than what we get in a single season nowadays. And most of it was cutsey shows for kids. I'd like to see these people break down all the amazing anime of the 80s and 90s by year and see just how little of it there is for a 20 year partition. I'll go ahead and get people started.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2dqsttu.jpg

Try to say with a straight face that year was better as a whole than 2013.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
^

Here is a list the number of tv anime that aired in the last 24 years.

1990 50
1991 39
1992 62
1993 30
1994 38
1995 40
1996 46
1997 50
1998 82
1999 89
2000 64
2001 95
2002 95
2003 111
2004 128
2005 127
2006 181
2007 159
2008 147
2009 146
2010 130
2011 138
2012 155
2013 170+
2014 146(so far, with confirmed release dates)

2014 only includes anime that have aired in winter or have been announced for Spring/Summer/Autumn. At this rate, it'll be the busiest year in anime tv history.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
People who legitimately say that show they have NO idea about the industry outside their little nostalgia bubble. Anime back during the 80s and 90s was HORRIBLE. There was only about 25 shows made a year. Less than what we get in a single season nowadays. And most of it was cutsey shows for kids. I'd like to see these people break down all the amazing anime of the 80s and 90s by year and see just how little of it there is for a 20 year partition. I'll go ahead and get people started.

There is a period from 1979-80 where the number of classics on air and in theaters is beyond belief -- Harlock was just ending, Galaxy Express was in the middle of its run with the theatrical films starting to come out, Gundam, Rose of Versailles and Doraemon premiered on TV along with sequels to Yamato, Gatchaman and Cyborg 009, while The Castle of Cagliostro, Aim for the Ace, Unico and Triton of the Sea were in theaters. True, that great run ddn't last, but it's certainly a more impressive lineup than we got last year.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote

I watched all of two shows in 2013, and I see eleven in 1996 that I either love or want to watch. It's not about the quantity of the shows, but the quality. Not to mention that I really like the common points of the artwork from that era, as well as the 80s and the 70s. I just don't care for the way much of the stuff today tends to look.

It all comes down to personal tastes, and, quite frankly, my tastes just don't usually sync up with today's anime as much as they do the older stuff.

Last edited by GVman on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

I watched all of two shows in 2013, and I see eleven in 1996 that I either love or want to watch. It's not about the quantity of the shows, but the quality. Not to mention that I really like the common points of the artwork from that era, as well as the 80s and the 70s. I just don't care for the way much of the stuff today tends to look.

How can you judge the quality the shows from 2013 if you only saw 2 shows?

Just to make it clear, I don't think any year of anime is objectively better than another.
GVman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not saying it's better; I'm saying there's more stuff that interests me. All I watched last year was Diabolik Lovers (best worst show I've seen in a while) and Kill la Kill. And why would I watch more than the two shows that interest me?

Basically, 1996 was a better year for me. Maybe not for you or Ryan, but it definitely was for me.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
I'm not saying it's better; I'm saying there's more stuff that interests me. All I watched last year was Diabolik Lovers (best worst show I've seen in a while) and Kill la Kill. And why would I watch more than the two shows that interest me?

Basically, 1996 was a better year for me. Maybe not for you or Ryan, but it definitely was for me.

Ah okay, that makes it more clear. I just was a bit confused.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
At least one other person in the thread has suggested dubbing as well. But part if not most of the appeal of drama CDs lies in the performances of the Japanese VAs, so cutting them out is kind of counterproductive.

It would not be counterproductive for people who are not interested in the performances of the Japanese actors but are interested in the performances of the English actors.

Quote:
Though I've long thought that NA companies should sell Drama CD versions of anime with just the dub VAs reading their lines, since the "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't care about anything else.

Was that intended as an insult to people who prefer dubs?
I certainly took it as an insult, but maybe I am reading it wrong or just being too sensitive.

As for the profitability, Justin says that an anime dub costs at least $7,000 per episode. Would a drama CD cost about the same for 20 to 25 minutes?
They would probably be easier for the actors and directors to record because there is no animation to match, but doesn't a drama CD usually have more dialog per minute than anime?

I am wondering if drama CD's have the same problem as light novels,
with the market not being big enough to support the cost of translation.
The cost of translation would also apply to subtitles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

And if so, why put them down? I understand why taking a "no dub, no buy" stance is counterproductive, and it certainly is not my own position as I much prefer subtitles anyway. However, it only makes sense for someone with a limited budget to reserve it for things they can readily enjoy. Is that camp widely despised because they're so vocal or something?
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I love Drama CD's, so it's a shame we don't as much of them here. Especially the stuff that IS relevant to the story, including things that fans would most likely want to know about. ... And then there are Drama CD's that are adaptions of novels, such as Bungaku Shoujo's Drama CD series and the 4 volumes of Fate/Zero's Drama CD series (which adapted the story much more accurately than the anime).

But the point stands that in order to achieve a moderate level of success, it needs to have accompanying graphic art. It could be slideshow art, whether shots of existing manga panels, additional art of the kind that accompanies light novel chapters, or pose photographs, but the art is necessary for a subtitle translation of a radio drama to have a shot of success.

I've enjoyed the two Manga2.5 series on Crunchyroll {+}, but I've noticed that they seem to be focusing on English dubbed motion comics ... surely it must be cheaper to provide an inanimated slideshow to accompany an existing Japanese audio track than to dub existing manga art into English, color it and apply pseudo-animation gimmicks.

{+ well, enjoyed one and enjoyed the other as much as I'm going to enjoy a series of that genre.}

ikillchicken wrote:
Has anyone ever at any point disputed this? Has anyone at all said Japan should cater exclusively to "American" tastes?

This being the internet, the odds are high that somebody, in some discussion forum somewhere has made most claims we can come up with as "nobody said, ever" lines.

Last edited by agila61 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote

Out of all those shows from late 1995-1996, the only anime shows that I found interesting were Saber Marionette (which I finished watching a couple days earlier), Hana Yori Dango, and Kodomo no Omocha.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
Touma wrote:

And if so, why put them down? I understand why taking a "no dub, no buy" stance is counterproductive, and it certainly is not my own position as I much prefer subtitles anyway. However, it only makes sense for someone with a limited budget to reserve it for things they can readily enjoy. Is that camp widely despised because they're so vocal or something?

It depends on what you mean by "that camp".

The people who act that way, that's just what they want to consume. Its why the hybrid dub/sub market for a title is bigger than the sub-only market.

The people who come onto every announcement of a North American or other international release that is sub-only to make a reflex, no-thought-required "no dub, no buy" comment, they are more the ones who are despised, because most people commenting in any given release thread are people who are happy that the series got picked up, and trolling that thread as if making a "no dub, no buy" comment in every sub-only release comment thread is going to somehow change the economics of localizing anime in English language markets is annoying to the people happy to see that title get a release.

Pleinair92 wrote:
I find it odd how in the answer regarding drama CDs, Justin never even brings up the possibility of dubs. Is that physically impossible, or just unprofitable? He only talks about subs or publishing translated scripts, which strike me as a rather roundabout ways of doing it.

It physically feasible, but the economics would be forbidding ... taking the existing audio and adding subtitles and graphical art would be far cheaper than translating the script and recording a new English language radio drama, and at least in North America, there is not much of a market for radio drama, since the transition in the 80's when VHS took over from LP's as a way to own a piece of a favorite show (cf. the
Snagglepuss and the Wizard of Oz LP from 1977).
katscradle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I love audio dramas. Though, I'm probably old-fashioned. There was a public access television channel for the arts that would broadcast English radio dramas late at night in one place I lived. So I'd honestly like to think the demand for such media isn't there because people are ignorant. Though I'm sure the format and economics of a translated project is complicated. Probably too complicated.
But, I think it's wrong to offer proof for a conclusion by placing such a great emphasis on piracy = interest for any given thing. Certainly no one goes about doing such things without a purpose but, very great stuff gets ignored by the fan-translations and they don't seem to catch up until something might get exposure through legal channels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10