• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryce Papenbrook to Voice Attack on Titan's Eren in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Dub sounds good. Are they not doing a collector's box to fit the eventual part 2 into?
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm happy! While they could have had a number of other people for all the roles, I'm content with this! Definitely watching this dubbed!

Now I'm just waiting to hear the announcement that it'll be on AS.
Which would be great! Not completely but pretty far-fetched, but definitely great!
(Though, it'd be a while before that would ever happen...)
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
we should give Funi credit for giving anyone and anywhere to dub their series.

lolNo.
If anyone did it first, it would've both Ocean and NYAV Post. NYAV has both studios down in LA and up in New York and utilizes them really well (See Gundam Unicorn) while Ocean has studios in Vancouver and Blue Water in Calgary.

Funi's only started doing. And thank god they have because reusing the same actors in the same types of roles really does get tedious.

Echo_City wrote:

I'm honestly wondering why Funimation didn't just farm this one out to Bang/Zoom. It has several Bang/Zoom actors and it sounds like a Bang/Zoom dub. TBH, I can think of several Bang/Zoom dubs that I'd rank as superior. That realization shocks me to my very core.

Same reason they didn't go with Ocean for Shana or bothered redubbing the first season with their cast:
$$$$$.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
NYAV has done a great job with that, but that doesn't make it any less cool to see Funi doing some of that too now.

Yeah peachsncreamsoda, this show would be gold on Toonami/AS (I think Psycho-Pass is another they should grab due to it's GITS similarities). Not that that's going to stop me from buying it (already pre-ordered) but it would be a great fit.

Can't wait to rewatch this show.

daichi383 wrote:
Well Bryce was particularly awesome as Rin in Blue Exorcist so i can dig it. Looking forward to this quite a bit and with the UK release date announced it won't be long before i can get mah hands on it.

Agreed, he was a great Rin. Didn't expect him for obvious reasons. He sounded quite good in the trailer like when he was attacking the colossal and when he was doing one of his declarations.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
So they brought in the younger Greg Ayres for this one? Sad. Bryce has been the lead in at least 2 "major" titles that I've seen and he sounds identical to those in this one. Wasn't that the reason that "the internet" didn't want Vic? Vic admits that he isn't that savvy at disguising his voice but neither can Bryce (apparently) and Vic doesn't sound hokey like Bryce.

I'm honestly wondering why Funimation didn't just farm this one out to Bang/Zoom. It has several Bang/Zoom actors and it sounds like a Bang/Zoom dub. TBH, I can think of several Bang/Zoom dubs that I'd rank as superior. That realization shocks me to my very core.
Younger Greg Ayres?? how dose Bryce sound anything like Greg? i sure as hell don't see it and uh are you having a fan girl attack that Vic is not doing Eren? lol
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

lolNo.
If anyone did it first, it would've both Ocean and NYAV Post. NYAV has both studios down in LA and up in New York and utilizes them really well (See Gundam Unicorn) while Ocean has studios in Vancouver and Blue Water in Calgary.

Funi's only started doing. And thank god they have because reusing the same actors in the same types of roles really does get tedious.

Echo_City wrote:

Same reason they didn't go with Ocean for Shana or bothered redubbing the first season with their cast:
$$$$$.

Wait. Does Ocean still dub stuff? I saw Kirby Morrow in a Hallmark Channel movie and I practically sobbed.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Wait. Does Ocean still dub stuff? I saw Kirby Morrow in a Hallmark Channel movie and I practically sobbed.

They still do animated TV shows and what not in Canada. Anime nowadays, very rare. The only one that I remember being relatively frequent is the Cardfight Vanguard dub and that's not necessarily a North American dub.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I don't think they've dubbed anything since InuYasha The Final Act. I know some of their actors worked on My Little Pony and Littlest Pet Shop, but those aren't anime. It'd be nice to see them get back into anime again.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

lolNo.

Echo_City wrote:

$$$$$.

Eh Ocean did the new inuyasha right? other then that i don't think anyone gets them anymore i mean Gundams dead in NA sadly along with Bandai so ^W^
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

lolNo.

Echo_City wrote:

$$$$$.

You haven't even quoted about freelancing and technology part. I think it's an opportunity for everyone who wants to get involved more voice acting industry. I would to see more like this into the future and pay more as well. Like New Generation were the first one's who did inner and outer city dubbing when Geneon was around and slow process continued from NYAV.

I'm willing to see how they'll do work with other anime titles in the near future.

Oh and Ocean Group did BL: Roberta Blood Trail and I haven't even watched it yet.

LeL!
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

They still do animated TV shows and what not in Canada. Anime nowadays, very rare. The only one that I remember being relatively frequent is the Cardfight Vanguard dub and that's not necessarily a North American dub.

I know Kirby does dubbing stuff like Lego Star Wars but I don't think that comes from Ocean Studios. There must be another dubbing studio that does the dubs like MLP, etc.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

lolNo.

Echo_City wrote:

$$$$$.

You haven't even quoted about freelancing and technology part. I think it's an opportunity for everyone who wants to get involved more voice acting industry. I would to see more like this into the future and pay more as well. Like New Generation were the first one's who did inner and outer city dubbing when Geneon was around and slow process continued from NYAV.

I'm willing to see how they'll do work with other anime titles in the near future.

Oh and Ocean Group did BL: Roberta Blood Trail and I haven't even watched it yet.

LeL!
You want to pay more?! Doesn't sound like something that I can get behind.

Not watching Roberta's Blood Trail dubbed is probably the best course of action there.

Sentai Filmworks has outsourced to Bang/Zoom. While I'm not really a fan of Bang/Zoom the results that Sentai obtained were better than what Funimation has gotten with Titan. I guess this answers,with a resounding "NO", a lingering question: Can any given Funimation director make the Bang/Zoom actors sound natural instead of hokey, like stage actors?

Honestly, I'm wondering if Bryce Papenbrook even realizes how hokey he sounds.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I like Bryce Papenbrook and all, but doesn't it seem like he's getting a lot of leading roles lately? Rin in Blue Exorcist, Kirito in SAO, Red in Pokémon Origins, Naegi in Danganronpa...
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
I like Bryce Papenbrook and all, but doesn't it seem like he's getting a lot of leading roles lately? Rin in Blue Exorcist, Kirito in SAO, Red in Pokémon Origins, Naegi in Danganronpa...

I assume there is two sides. One side which supports the decision that he is voicing Eren, and then the side that hates it/cries nepotism.

I personally do not know much about him but I assume he is nice and not conceited like some of the VA's can be...
Wolfgirl90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
After all of my voice predictions failed, I finally got this one right. I had a feeling that Bryce Papenbrook would voice Eren. His voice just seems to fit.

I can't wait to watch the rest of the series dubbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5