• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryce Papenbrook to Voice Attack on Titan's Eren in English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
He did a great job in DRRR!! as Masaomi, so I'm happy with this.

I vehemently disagree. Even though Masaomi was supposed to be an annoying character, the way Bryce said phrases like "Laterz, peepz" or "Bewbie-licious!" just made me want to strangle something. Mad

Once Masaomi goes into "srs mode" in the last third, he does get better. But those first two arcs were nigh unbearable.

That having been said, Bryce was a lot better as Rin in Blue Exorcist, and even made Kirito at least somewhat tolerable to listen to. Even then, though, he has a tendency to be a terrible overactor and often uses more emphasis on certain words than he should.

He is good at playing the angry hothead, though, so I have decently high hopes for Eren.

I think he was fine with those lines. And it's not like those phrases would have sounded any better if he said them another way. They're lame as hell lol. He did good with what he got.

I actually think he's grown a lot since DRRR. That was a couple of years ago after all.

Last edited by KENZICHI on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Japan's equivalent of the Walking Dead"

Groan.

Why.
_arumiin_

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
It fits Eren. I like it Smile
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Quote:

Groan.

Why.
Trying to bring something other then anime fans into it lol Razz
MajinSaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
No Steve Blum or Troy Baker in any role. I'm sad as hell Sad.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Quote:

Groan.

Why.

It's a perfectly fair comparison:

Walking Dead is a gory action comic that's achieved phenomenal success in the US, outselling the superhero comics that traditionally dominate the American market.

Attack on Titan is a gory action comic that's achieved phenomenal success in Jpaan, outselling the Shonen Jump comics that traditionally dominate the Japanese market.

Pointing this out will attract some comic readers and fans of the TV series who ordinarily might not be interested in the anime or manga.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
This is shaping to be an interesting dub. Bryce Pappenbrook was a bit of an uninspired choice for Eren given how frequently he's voiced leads in big shows recently. He's a really good voice actor, but nothing spectacular.

The other casting choices seem spot on. Lauren Landa was perfect casting. She usually puts out fantastic work!

Also, I'm pretty sure some voice actors flew to Dallas for this, especially since Lauren Landa has also done additional voices in Space Dandy. I'm thinking they used her for that while she was down there.

Lynx Amali wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Wait. Does Ocean still dub stuff? I saw Kirby Morrow in a Hallmark Channel movie and I practically sobbed.

They still do animated TV shows and what not in Canada. Anime nowadays, very rare. The only one that I remember being relatively frequent is the Cardfight Vanguard dub and that's not necessarily a North American dub.

Ocean has nothing to do with the western animation done in Vancouver. Those are usually (but not always) recorded at Voicebox Productions. Ocean just happens to be a dubbing studio in the area and pulls from basically the same voice pool. They don't even do all the anime up there. Westwood did some while they were still in business (although they did work with Ocean), and the old short-lived 1995 dub of Dragon Ball was recorded at Dick & Rogers Sound Studio.

Keep in mind that many Vancouver voice actors and former Vancouver voice actors also do on-camera work. They're regular freelance actors not tied to any studio.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I saw the first three episodes dubbed at the Anime Boston premiere. Bryce Papenbrook I thought did a decent job. Eren I feel is a good fit for him because he has a youthful-sounding voice that conveys lots of inner potential and determination.

Personally I had thought Bryce Papenbrook would be a potential choice for Eren. I had also read that he was a fan of the series and very interested in working in it. However my expectations for him decreased greatly after hearing Texas-based FUNimaiton was dubbing the show.

As a result, I thought Micah Solusod would be a candidate because he plays youthful characters, is Texas-based, and sounds like LA-based Johnny Young Bosch, whom I heard was a popular candidate for Eren.

So when they revealed Bryce Papenbrook at the premiere, I was surprised mainly by the fact that FUNimation managed to have him work on the show despite him primarily working in LA.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
SaiyamanMS wrote:
I like Bryce Papenbrook and all, but doesn't it seem like he's getting a lot of leading roles lately? Rin in Blue Exorcist, Kirito in SAO, Red in Pokémon Origins, Naegi in Danganronpa...

I assume there is two sides. One side which supports the decision that he is voicing Eren, and then the side that hates it/cries nepotism.

I personally do not know much about him but I assume he is nice and not conceited like some of the VA's can be...

How are people crying nepotism in regards with Bryce Papenbrook? Also, which particular voice actors are viewed as "conceited" because it seems voice actors are mostly understanding of their fans.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought most of the dubs scenes were pretty good, but this trailer actually made me worried, reason being: if it wasn't for certain lines being obvious to certain character, I would have no idea who was talking. They all the same! >.< And definitely a lot older than 15. If a person who didn't know the series heard the trailer without the visuals they would be highly surprised/confused about their ages. I just hope they're not as undistinctive in the actual show. (p.s I'm not talking about the fact that I'm not used to the characters speaking in english. I meant that now that I heard them all come together like that, I fear that Funimation may have picked VAs that sound too similar to each other and therefore accidentally a dull sounding cast.) If you've seen it at the premier and disagree, feel free to let me know your thoughts on it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:

Wait. Does Ocean still dub stuff? I saw Kirby Morrow in a Hallmark Channel movie and I practically sobbed.

They still do animated TV shows and what not in Canada. Anime nowadays, very rare. The only one that I remember being relatively frequent is the Cardfight Vanguard dub and that's not necessarily a North American dub.

I know Kirby does dubbing stuff like Lego Star Wars but I don't think that comes from Ocean Studios. There must be another dubbing studio that does the dubs like MLP, etc.

Recording studio, and there are a bunch that do cartoons in Vancouver though Ocean seems to do most of the anime. But get the feeling that the days of dubbing anime in Vancouver are over [/spoiler]

Went union.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Walking Dead is a gory action comic that's achieved phenomenal success in the US, outselling the superhero comics that traditionally dominate the American market.

Attack on Titan is a gory action comic that's achieved phenomenal success in Jpaan, outselling the Shonen Jump comics that traditionally dominate the Japanese market.

Pointing this out will attract some comic readers and fans of the TV series who ordinarily might not be interested in the anime or manga.

1. Walking Dead doesn't outsell superhero comics
2. Attack on Titan IS a shounen comic so it can't outsell itself. Your comparison falls apart here because at least Walking Dead isn't a superhero comic but Attack on Titan is in the same boat as One Piece, Naruto and Bleach
3. Yeah, it's clear that's the marketing point of it, but it's still a cringeworthy comparison that makes no sense if you actually start to think about it
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Recording studio, and there are a bunch that do cartoons in Vancouver though Ocean seems to do most of the anime. But get the feeling that the days of dubbing anime in Vancouver are over

Went union.

The actors in Vancouver have always been union. Can't say if it's the same in Calgary, which might explain why Blue Water's been getting all the work.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:07 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Recording studio, and there are a bunch that do cartoons in Vancouver though Ocean seems to do most of the anime. But get the feeling that the days of dubbing anime in Vancouver are over

Went union.

The actors in Vancouver have always been union. Can't say if it's the same in Calgary, which might explain why Blue Water's been getting all the work.

I'm almost sure Ocean created the Calgary Studio in the first place was because Westwood Studio was going union, but I can't seem to recall where from, probably from one of the Vancouver voice actors who was pushing to unionize. That's been awhile ago.
DeviousDybbuk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Good choice. He played Asbel in Tales of Graces, the "energetic, clueless boy" role that also fits Eren.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

1. Walking Dead doesn't outsell superhero comics
2. Attack on Titan IS a shounen comic so it can't outsell itself. Your comparison falls apart here because at least Walking Dead isn't a superhero comic but Attack on Titan is in the same boat as One Piece, Naruto and Bleach
3. Yeah, it's clear that's the marketing point of it, but it's still a cringeworthy comparison that makes no sense if you actually start to think about it

He meant Attack on Titan isn't Shonen JUMP, not that it isn't a shonen series. Also, comparing it to One Piece slightly pisses me off. But maybe that just has something to do with the fact that I absolutely hate it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5