• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rise and Shine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My name is Will Murray. I am 62 years old and have been collecting anime since the 1980s.

Dude, you are my freaking hero, in that you are 16 years older than me and have such a shelf-tastic anime collection. I hope I'm still watching new stuff when I'm 62.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
zensunni wrote:

I also agree, for the most part with the WUG review, though I may end up purchasing the show in the long run. I am really enjoying it, and the meta-level critique of the Idol industry is impressive, considering the show is a product of that industry. It really pulls no punches in the way it portrays the darker side of the industry and the way idols are treated by the corporations and the fans.

It'd be a real tragedy if the real group still follows the conventional idol business practices.

This, this, this. I find it hard to watch the series and not ponder whether or not the "we're not like I-1! We're loveable and scrappy!" is 100% marketing, just like your typical "idol profile" (Nyan-chan loves cosplaying and collecting teddy bears!) is usually marketing. ESPECIALLY since now fans expect Anime Mayu = IRL Mayu, Anime Yoppi = IRL Yoppi, down to their hobbies, tastes, and mannerisms. Hell, the girls might be under even worse scrutiny because they have the show to live up to...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Hi Will
I'm the same age as you, but only seriously started collecting since 2000. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Nice work by the way. Wink Laughing
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I love Wake Up, Girls. It really feels like a good, long look at what exactly the idol industry is like.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3