• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Tiger by the Tail

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Ihernan02

I haven't read the manga, so you may be completely justified. But it is not entirely unrealistic in a doomsday situation or knowing that there is a good chance of dying, for some to seek solace or the celebration of life, in sex. After all, if you are going to die, you need to make the time to cram as much of life into the time you have left.

Heck, look at horror films! Laughing

(But then, they always die before the virgins, so maybe there's priorities..........)
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Ms Silverman says:

"Really, the major issue here is still with the artwork, which is still oversexualized to a point where it is sometimes difficult to take the story as seriously as it deserves. There's one last fairly explicit lesbian sex scene (which is kind of explained, or at least the attitude towards underage sexuality is), but then most of the fanservice is the girls' clothes. "

I'm old, and comments like this give me the CREEPS. When I grew up in the USA in the '50s and '60s all media were self-censored to the max. Nothing sexual or even sexy--or even just seriously suggestive was allowed to appear. Are we going back to that?

Because, people, if you end up having to experience that system in future, you'll find that IT SUCKS. You find yourself living in a world of media that feels like it has had its mouth repeatedly washed out with soap (an old punishment for a child who curses) until it's totally whipped and silenced.

Amusing that the censoriousness that used to be based in the aversion of Christianity to sex now appears to be based in a whole new moral aversion: that of feminism to girls' sexyness.

Truly, everything old is new again.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:16 am Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:
Mistakes happen but you too can use google.

You are right. I did use Google yesterday and your point about sex and gender not being the same was proven quickly.
However, a person is not going to search for something unless he has some reason to think that what he knows is wrong.

Up until yesterday I thought that biological sex and gender were the same and I had been taught to use "gender" for male and female.
Now I know that I was wrong, but until yesterday I had no reason to doubt it.

You definitely do have a good point and a valid reason for making it. But I think that you were a bit harsh.
I will admit though that I might feel differently if I had a personal interest in the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Fallen Wings wrote:

This is a trans issue. Grammar is secondary.

To be honest this would be clear as well if you too used google before typing that.

It sounds harsh what I wrote but honestly if you don't know what trans people are then you don't write about them. It would be silly to write about a day in life of a Jew if I don't know what Judaism is. I'm happy if they want to edit it now, but my original comment still stands. I wrote I understood the confusion between the two but the difference is huge for people who are affected by it.

Basically by talking as if the persons sex defines their limitations can hurt. Is 101 on "What is a trans person". I would hope that someone who was talking about how this is serious, would know.

Mistakes happen but you too can use google. Here. This might be helpful http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx

Also it is easy to see attacks when they aren't there. I did not say they hate trans, I just said they need to understand what trans people are.[/url]

Holy crap, you don't have to be so angry about something that is really just a semantics issue.

It's the stupid "tree falls in forest" problem. You can read about the source of it here.

The reviewer was talking about chromosomes. You're talking about state of mind. In common parlance, sex and gender are interchangeable. You can go point out that in certain circles and situations that equivalency is removed, but you don't have to be so self-righteous about it.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:21 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
Ms Silverman says:

"Really, the major issue here is still with the artwork, which is still oversexualized to a point where it is sometimes difficult to take the story as seriously as it deserves. There's one last fairly explicit lesbian sex scene (which is kind of explained, or at least the attitude towards underage sexuality is), but then most of the fanservice is the girls' clothes. "

I'm old, and comments like this give me the CREEPS. When I grew up in the USA in the '50s and '60s all media were self-censored to the max. Nothing sexual or even sexy--or even just seriously suggestive was allowed to appear. Are we going back to that?

I think that you are taking that the wrong way.
She just said that the sexualized artwork detracts from the story. That is a reasonable comment in a review. She is not saying anything at all about sexuality in manga being wrong , just the art in this book.

The next book that she reviews is a yaoi manga for mature readers. She recommends the book and has no negative comments about the sexuality.

I think that you do not have any reason to complain about censorship here.
If you want to warn people about the dangers of censorship you should probably find a better place to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
You definitely do have a good point and a valid reason for making it. But I think that you were a bit harsh.
I will admit though that I might feel differently if I had a personal interest in the topic.

Honestly I didn't say anything in malice I'm just naturally really blunt. I thought I was being less blunt so now there is subjectivity.
I am sorry if someone read into my directness and was hurt. I know people seem off put by it and to be honest, I can't even see it. I was trying to show my undersanding!

And you are right. Most people do get it mixed up because society uses it interchangeably. It is a touchy subject to me, it kinda is when people have been trying to tell me all my life that I can't do that or this because of my sex. Gets very annoying haha.

Quote:
Holy crap, you don't have to be so angry about something that is really just a semantics issue.

....You can go point out that in certain circles and situations that equivalency is removed, but you don't have to be so self-righteous about it.

I'm not angry and never was angry. Just really blunt.
Though I have no idea where you get the self-righteous from. I tried to use examples to try to help people to understand but I must not have succeeded. Was that it?

I suppose the sex vs gender mustn't be easy to find. If you don't read into what a trans is, people just don't know the difference. Trans generally have an issue being seen so I suppose there is no need to read about it by most people. It isn't an issue that faces them.

But now that people have read my comment, they now know :3 so my intention has succeeded ... I think?
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
This isn't an insult since you didn't intend it that way, but I'll just point out for future reference that your earlier posts came across to me as saying "you don't know what this is and you're bad!"

Anyways on the topic of the From the New World manga, I'm interested in different versions of that story, but I tend not to like manga to begin with because it isn't animated and doesn't have room for a lot of text (the media I prefer being books and animation). Also, from what I've read of it (I checked out the first volume to an extent), it doesn't seem nearly as good, removing or destroying a lot of the elements that I really loved about the show. Still, there were some cool things in there that weren't in the show, so maybe I'll check out the rest of it some day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2