• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any advice on a good Forum topic?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I kinda noticed that the threads I've been doing have not been very good. Either they've been obsessed with a certain property or have been speculating something. I have no idea why my threads tend to do that... I'm really wanting make sure this type of thing doesn't happen when I make a new thread, but I can't really find a way. Any advice?
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, just a few common mistakes I see people making:

• Starting a thread just for the sake of starting a thread. These usually take the form of "Some trivial observation: discuss." It's pretty much always something mundane, that there just isn't much if anything to say about.

• Starting a thread to air a personal rant. There's a lot of problems with doing this, but perhaps the biggest one of all is that the thread starter is not even interested in hearing other perspectives. Sometimes these will get a fair amount of attention, but only because it's page after page of petty bickering.

• Starting a new thread just to ask a simple question. If it's only going to take one reply to answer something, then one should use the General Questions / Identifying Anime thread instead.

Quite frankly, if you sit there wondering what you can start a thread about today, it invariably leads to the first situation listed above. You're not required to start threads, and making them will bring you neither fame nor fortune.

You don't need to "find a way" to make better threads. All you need to do is be patient and wait to start one until a topic that other people will want to share their knowledge and opinions about comes to you naturally. In the meantime, take note of which threads generate sustained yet civil discussion, and what approaches were used to initiate them.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Parse Error, you really helped me a lot with that list. Very Happy
I'd also like for Tony K. or Key to give me some tips as well (if they get the chance).

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I think your Funimation 20th anniversary thread is turning out okay. Frankly, I thought Tony K's post in it was unnecessarily snotty. I had no idea it was Funi's 20th.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
I currently am very unhappy with FUNi. I don't own a whole lot from them, and a small percentage of what I do have is part of the DVD/BD case packaging snafu. It also pisses me off that a lot of stupid McAnime fans are contributing to the DBZ BD season set debacle, which I think just gives the company more ammo for shitty releases down the line (be it with DBZ or whatever, really). Then there's the longtime resentment I have for the DBZ dub, which I've always and still do despise to this very day since they tried mimicking the Ocean voices, only to keep sounding like cheap knockoffs, which then led to the Ocean dub ripping off their crummy scripts to sound just as bad!

To me, the tone of the opening post really felt like butt-kissing, and it ticked me off. It's like what I felt for ADV all over again (everybody just loooves them, praises their dubs, thinks they're number one in the industry in every single aspect, etc.), which took me a long time to get over, 'cause I never agreed with any of that sentiment.

No disrespect intended to CastMember, and I apologize if you thought my rage was directed towards you. Frankly, that FUNi thread is the only one of yours I even have in my short term memory at the moment. I have no idea what else you've posted (anything notable, at least).

My tips for better threads? Don't make any just yet. Lurk, observe, post in other threads. Try getting to know the community, learn what kinds of topics people like to participate in, then use that information to contribute/discover your own curiosities/interpretations with your own threads/posts. It's not a race. Just talk when something genuinely interests you and try to be detailed about it.

I speak this from experience. Back when I first joined, I simply wouldn't shut up. I butted in to every thread, asked/gave really short and broad questions/answers, and people eventually found me annoying. A lot has changed for me, personally, since then, and now I'm not so talky. I still can be, but the key is to know the right time and/or the right thing to say.

Well.. being a Moderator, I guess it's a little more difficult since it's also part of my job to shut people up, sometimes. But yeah, that's my advice. Just observe and learn for a bit. You'll get used to this place, eventually Wink.
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it! As for your response to that first post, that's no big deal. I didn't really take that personally. I too had those same exact thoughts when reading that post. Anyway, thank you again for those tips. They were very helpful.

Last edited by CastMember1991 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
It is also not necessary to quote everything someone said when you post. If the post is directly above yours, it is not necessary to quote at all. If you are responding to a post on the same page, just put something like this:

@CastMember1991.

If you are addressing specific items in separate paragraphs it is all right to quote, but quote only the line you are responding to, not the whole prior post.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Don't just make topics for the sake of it. There's no rule which says you have to make a topic to be a member. I think I've probably started fewer than 10 topics in my time here. Contribute to existing ones if you've got something to say about the subject, and follow others' advice from this thread if you think you've got an idea which is discussion worthy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, these rules/guidelines may feel a little strict. But I think they help keep the forum looking a little more orderly. If you look at the Feedback forum, there are some stickied threads at the top about Necroposting, Excessive Quoting, The List and One-liners rule, and Speculation.

Please give those a quick read, too. It'll probably save you any kind of future embarrassment in case you accidentally violate one of those.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
[*]Starting a thread to air a personal rant. There's a lot of problems with doing this, but perhaps the biggest one of all is that the thread starter is not even interested in hearing other perspectives. Sometimes these will get a fair amount of attention, but only because it's page after page of petty bickering.

That's what happen to me, I made a thread like that and it went downhill where at one point Tony K. had to lock it. I didn't mean for that thread to suddenly go downhill. All I wanted was just to collect some consensus and give some insight over the issue, not to make some political statement.

CastMember1991, I don't know what advice I can give you to make a good forum topic. But if you create a thread and it goes out of control and it get closed, don't make it a big deal. After seeing one of my thread get close, I don't know if I can make anymore interesting forum topic.

Tony K. wrote:
I speak this from experience. Back when I first joined, I simply wouldn't shut up. I butted in to every thread, asked/gave really short and broad questions/answers, and people eventually found me annoying. A lot has changed for me, personally, since then, and now I'm not so talky. I still can be, but the key is to know the right time and/or the right thing to say.

Same thing happen to me, but I don't do it that much anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1