• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Gets Limited Edition PS4

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok, we get it, you don't like the game.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
It has nothing to do with liking or not liking the game.

The PS3 version is legitimately awful. Many Fates become unplayable, especially ones in Ul Dah. Thereare a couple in Gridiana where the framerate goes into single digits.

It looks bad and it runs even worse. It is not a good way to play the game.

As for the other part. Just typical anime fandom crap. I like to be able to talk and interact with people in an MMO. That's kind of the point. Even with my grade school level Japanese that would be kind of hard. Besides, Japanese players are quiet anyway. I like MMO's to actually seem alive. Since I also don't have a bias I realize there are plenty of good western players and not all or even half are as bad as people make them out to be. Especially in a smaller mmo like 14.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lusbox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote
Played WoW for 9 years or so and its hard to find another mmo that lives up to it, in terms of end game content and continued playability.

Not seen much on this to be fair, but still doubt ill give it a try.
Just hoping for FFXV to come out on pc..
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Raxephon91 wrote:
It's a flaw because the game is extremely boring. The game does nothing you haven't seen in other MMOS and then makes the sin of failing even to execute the content well. Quests in A Realm Reborn are so boring, so cookie cutter that it's almost pathetic. Even the story quests are un-imaginative.

As in the concept of you being, "the chosen one"? That is a given cliche in nearly all stories where even MMO's get stuck in. Its the same all around, except with one just being the random adventurer. WOW has forgetable quests where you just spam the accept button to do your quest, or are you refering to the story quests? "Oh no! the empire is attacking the land" -FFXIV, "Oh no! the troll army is attacking the land" -WOW. Its a problem that seems unfixable given that MMO's are mostly about races to world first on content. FFXIV, GW2, and WOW are the same too.

Quote:
Even the world is meh. Invisible walls and not being an actual open world suck no matter how pretty the game is.

Its not like WOW with being an open world. Its GW2 with specific zones. All three games are pretty. And give examples. You mean places like the Sagoli Desert? I can consider that, but nowhere else. Like the land of Mor dohna or Cortheas.

Quote:
And just because other games fail, that means games shouldn't try? And we should give a game a break when it's completely safe and brings nothing to the table?

It means that game developers need to be careful. Why don't you go try to throw your ideas to a game company to build an MMO with hundreds of implemented servers and try to fit mechanics, graphics, and a set of lore that can make the game stick on the wall. With specs that could cater to low end or high end PC's so your gamers can actually play it on a steady framerate.

Rebuilding FFXIV: ARR was nowhere near being safe. They could have had another flop at launch, but they did'nt. They listened to their fans on bringing the game up to modern standards. Along with Yoshida's desires to be put into the game as not only a developer, but as a MMO fanatic.

Quote:
I'm so happy they finnaly got thier MMO up to the modern standards of 2005. Thats good, but too bad we have MMOs trying to evolve that modern standard and do more with it. Or we have mmos trying to execute that standard in some way that it makes it seem fresh and appealing. 14 does not.

Oh it's pretty and it has FF stylings. That is it.

I can understand. But I like this game yet I'm giving pieces of criticism. The Zodiac quests are a chore in a bad way, instead of relying on the players skills to level your relic, you just need the luck of a billionaire to do it unless you waste 6+ more hours just to get a single gem out of 12 to upgrade it for a relic that is not even as strong as coil weapons. Even some of the Main Story quests during the middle of the game were quite boring, even the ones in the newest patches, especially 2.1.

What games besides Everquest Next and maybe Wildstar? There trying to implement the features along with the graphics to be capable of being played on mid end PC's. Elder Scrolls Online is going back to first come first serve loot on specific enemies, Though that is from Beta, but it was recent. And they are locking specific races and classes from players if you don't pay the fee for the collectors edition.

Quote:
Who knows? Do you? Do you have some number out there that says the number of FF14 players are also players of jrpgs and FF games?

No you don't.

Of course I don't, because I did not say majority of people who played this game played Final Fantasy or JRPG's. I said, "Aware" of Final Fantasy or JRPG's.

Out of the gate, people could find or hear from news sites or critics that the franchise is one of the top 10 best selling series of all time. Or that it revolves around the JRPG genre. Overall, Square Enix invested in MMO's because of the popularity of the franchise to back them up. Square and Yoshida decided to rework the game because they did not want this to end on a failing game in the Final Fantasy series.

Quote:
WoW has a stupendous amount of built up lore. I wonder how many people actually care about that lore.

WoW was able to stick in the market, which meant they could expand on the lore for future patches and expansions to come. FFXIV has only 2 patches implemented since 2.0 and with no expansion out yet. But we are already given history during the umbral eras before recent one along with how the moogles have lived with the Twelve gods. To the mystery behind Dalamud being launched onto the worlds orbit during the 5th era that was nearly wiped out. And with the mystery after the Calamity. One can argue and say that WOW's popularity is more focused on the gameplay than lore.

And with this game revolving around lore and character icons from a series that has spanned over 25 years. Yet the worlds are distinctly different from one another but can be somehow intertwined, it builds to different possabilities for fanservice.

Quote:
Does it? So many people who play FF games did not play XI.

Most likely since of its heavy old-school nature MMO. Yet its Squares most financially money pumping title. Yet FFXIV is on the way to getting a bigger install base on FFXIV according to posts in Gematsu and live letters.

Quote:
Some may try 14, but just because you like single player jrpgs does not mean you're going to like and play an MMO

Your typing to someone who has more experience playing single player jrpgs, yet somehow likes playing MMO's after trying out this game for the first time.

Quote:
The FF name is an advantage, but it has to battle for anytype of gamer just like any other MMO.

That is what I have been saying. The advantage seems to be working well according to Yoshida that around 500,000+ gamers are logging in every day if you don't include people that only log around 3-4 times a week.

Most people are not looking for anything orignal. They just want a fun game, One may think it is fun like myself given the flaws me and you point out. But someone like you think it isn't.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
One can argue and say that WOW's popularity is more focused on the gameplay than lore.

Given how much Metzen has ruined and perverted the lore the past few years, that seem so. Lore sure isn't the focus over there any more.

If we compare vanilla games I'd say XIV has better lore. WoW originally had pretty scattered lore. None of the patches connected with each other very much and it was all over the place We go from the black dragonflight in Blackwing Depths to the old gods in Ahn'Qiraj to the Scourge in Naxx. No connection, just random additions. Some of which wouldn't be touched upon until expansions later. It wasn't until Burning Crusade we got more focus and a central plotline to follow with the Burning Legion. Then they'd use that standard for their future expansions and additions. Though it's still not perfect. It took until the Isle of Thunder for the Blood Elves to do ANYTHING in the story since Burning Crusade. And the Draenei are stil sitting on their butts along with Worgen and Goblins, who don't even have a proper leader still and I doubt the Pandaren will do anything after this expansion either. Now we're delving into time travel and alternate dimensions and gah. WoW lore ended for me with WOTLK and Arthas, even if they retconned that stuff in the end. Then the Dragonflights are gone now and Jaina's evil and... bah I'll pull the cliche expression of 'This isn't the Warcraft I grew up with".

Anywho, XIV does that format from the beginning. Setting up the world of the City States and Ascians, Scions, Primals, and Garlean Empire. Each patch expands upon those elements and ties things together. Then you got the Hildebrand/Gilgamesh stuff which is a fun distraction. Hildebrande is so distinctly Japanese comedy it's great.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As in the concept of you being, "the chosen one"? That is a given cliche in nearly all stories where even MMO's get stuck in. Its the same all around, except with one just being the random adventurer. WOW has forgetable quests where you just spam the accept button to do your quest, or are you refering to the story quests? "Oh no! the empire is attacking the land" -FFXIV, "Oh no! the troll army is attacking the land" -WOW. Its a problem that seems unfixable given that MMO's are mostly about races to world first on content. FFXIV, GW2, and WOW are the same too.
I'm not talking about the actual story. I could give or take the story in either game. Only The Secret World to me, has had interesting plots.

I'm talking about the quest design, what you're doing in quests. The gameplay. In 14 they are so boring, even the story quests like imagination. Not so in WoW.

Quote:
Its not like WOW with being an open world. Its GW2 with specific zones. All three games are pretty. And give examples. You mean places like the Sagoli Desert? I can consider that, but nowhere else. Like the land of Mor dohna or Cortheas.
Give examples of what? Invisible walls that keep you from falling off high places? I did'nt keep track of them all for Christ sakes. Butt hmm there's that area in of the Mor Dohna's where you fight the dragon fate(the one with a FATE line). The game would keep you from falling off that. Either way, unlike WoW. There is a feeling off un-openess. It does not feel like this large open world.

Quote:
It means that game developers need to be careful. Why don't you go try to throw your ideas to a game company to build an MMO with hundreds of implemented servers and try to fit mechanics, graphics, and a set of lore that can make the game stick on the wall. With specs that could cater to low end or high end PC's so your gamers can actually play it on a steady framerate.
First, specs and tech are not the answer. I doubt Everquest next will be some super high end game by the time it comes out, but there is a game trying to do something unique with MMO gameplay. Even GW2 is not some crazy specs game and it attempted something new with quest structure and party gameplay. You can argue if it worked or not, but the game is'nt a failure. 14 tries nothing new. I'm not an MMO designer, it's not my job to make a game that stands out in a crowded market.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2