• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sailor Moon Fan Project Releases Latest Scene Preview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Spacey Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
From my understanding, the project is meant to combine a bunch of different art styles. A design being cartoonish does not automatically make it amateur. Actually, not being constrained by realistic human figures (and physics) is one of the perks of comics and animation.

And Sailor Moon is pretty cartoon-y. They have a lot of facial expressions that pretty much goes into it.

*Face palm* There is no such thing as a "cartoon" or "anime" style. They are the same medium and the influences of each vary and overlap differently. Exaggerated facial features is very common in Japanese animation, though it lost popularity in the past decade and a half to some extent. Rolling Eyes
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

But that's how we get some of the fetishes in anime! Laughing
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Not what I was expecting.

I was on my mobile, saw this news, got excited, came home..and...and...

It's too weird. My body can't handle this as the remake approaches.
supersqueak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
I don't care much for this project. Some of the styles look cute but I don't like most of them. I mean I know they are not going for life like or close to the original but a lot of them are just plain hideous.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
I like it. This is like the Star Wars fan project, which was also fun to watch.

Thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:55 pm Reply with quote
A Spacey Penguin wrote:
*Face palm* There is no such thing as a "cartoon" or "anime" style. They are the same medium and the influences of each vary and overlap differently. Exaggerated facial features is very common in Japanese animation, though it lost popularity in the past decade and a half to some extent. Rolling Eyes

I'm completely aware that it's all animation. My point was that there wasn't any difference. Some fans don't like that anime and cartoons are the same and come up with convoluted reasons why it isn't. I just used the word cartoon-y to describe it because anime characters do have multitudes of expressions, just like American animation. And Japan calls American cartoons "anime" as well.

Calm your tatas.

[EDIT: Don't over-quote. -TK]

Last edited by tygerchickchibi on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
That was bananas!! I'm looking forward to seeing the full episode, this idea rules.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I think I tend to get frustrated with American cartoons because almost all of them look flat and undefiled to me, especially when I hear people say "All anime looks the same" I respond "Yeah, well all [actually most] American cartoons look flat and have circles with dots for eyes."

But I don't think flat should necessarily be a bad thing, likewise, looking round, detailed, lots of attention to shadow and detail (like a lot of anime) shouldn't be a bad thing either. :/

My issue is none of them are cute, or detailed. And that seems to be a problem with western art in general. A lot of people draw very big, defined noses and chins that make female characters look like men. Especially amateur artists. That's where the anime steretype of western characters have big noses come from I guess Laughing

I think it's a cycle. These young artists see the crude looking shows on TV like Adventure Time go "Hey, that guy doesn't have to draw very good and he gets a popular show!" So that's their inspiration and goal to be like. Draw some noodle limbs and peanut shaped bodies with dotted eyes and they can call it professional. Meanwhile little Japanese kids are looking at highly beautiful shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and Pretty Cure and Gargantia and get influenced by that so they have a higher role model to strive for. The divide is only going to get bigger as the CalArts style becomes the defacto for American animation and everything else is cheap looking Flash or CG. Animation schools are a dying form in America when we can just use computer programs to animate everything. I'm afraid for them and people who want to get into the industry these days.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
>All that weeaboo bullshit

Are you a ban-evading TitanXL? Because you sound like it.

Also protip: Adventure Time is a good-looking show. The art is simple yes but the actual artSTYLE is attractive spoiler[why am I even wasting words on trying to reason with you when you'll just completely misinterpret every part of my post and rebuke it with something that has nothing to do with it]

Also comparing FMA to AT when they're two completely different shows that aim for completely different things is incredibly disingenuous.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
And everyone forgets about Shin-Chan
Seiru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Ah that was actually pretty funny to watch.Especially Sailor Venus and Sailor Mercury entrance. Laughing I wasn't really watching this project but now I'll gladly watch the episode.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
And everyone forgets about Shin-Chan

Nobody forgets Shin-Chan. Just like everyone remembers what Sailor Moon was, and says "this shit isn't Sailor Moon". If you like shit, then more power to you. Most other people don't, and so don't accept this crap. Live with it.
RadenWA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
As an animation graduate and someone who is proud to be a part of this project, let me clarify some things to you guys, because this elitist attitude of "anime is better than cartoons in every way" is starting to get me.

To put it simply, cartoons focuses on interesting movements. Anime focuses on interesting visuals.

It is true that American cartoons (which is kinda the majority of the entries for this project) are "flat, simple and crude". Adventure Time's visuals is not "Professional" as you call it, and any 10-years old can make something remotely similar to that.

But when it comes to animation, that's when it gets the advantage. Simple shapes are a lot easier and more expressive to animate.

In the other hand, people who likes anime will move towards illustration. Yes, they are able to make very attractive drawings of people and very beautiful visuals, but when they're told to animate it, we usually get simple pans and stiff movements at best. Which is why anime gets infamous for tricks like "character standing still with their mouth flashing" to indicate them talking, or "one frame cut straight to them falling on the ground" to indicate how they react to a bad joke.

-and that's not their fault, it's because it's bloody damn hard to properly animate fully detailed (and attractive) characters, expressively. Which is why anime develop an universal language of expressions: character feeling surprised will do the same gesture/face, characters feeling annoyed will do another gesture/face.

And back to cartoon, the fact that their visual are crude and flat allows them to be more creative in inventing expressions and movement. The way Finn express happiness will be different from how Spongebob express happiness, and each characters will have numerous other ways to express the same expression.

For example, look at the shot where Sailor Mercury comes jumping in. Because the animator uses such a crude visual style, he could very easily add a really fluent acrobatic flip to that shot, which is a very innovative solution.

BUT hang on, anime does get better these days and we get things like TTGL which is beautiful visuals and very expressive movements. But remember, these shows are done by very well established studios with maybe hundreds of people working in it. And also it's in Japan, where people slave themselves like crazy.

While people who work in this project are mostly students or recent graduates who might also have a part-time job to take care of, so cut us some slack.

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
My issue is none of them are cute, or detailed. And that seems to be a problem with western art in general. A lot of people draw very big, defined noses and chins that make female characters look like men. Especially amateur artists. That's where the anime steretype of western characters have big noses come from I guess Laughing

I think it's a cycle. These young artists see the crude looking shows on TV like Adventure Time go "Hey, that guy doesn't have to draw very good and he gets a popular show!" So that's their inspiration and goal to be like. Draw some noodle limbs and peanut shaped bodies with dotted eyes and they can call it professional. Meanwhile little Japanese kids are looking at highly beautiful shows like Fullmetal Alchemist and Pretty Cure and Gargantia and get influenced by that so they have a higher role model to strive for. The divide is only going to get bigger as the CalArts style becomes the defacto for American animation and everything else is cheap looking Flash or CG. Animation schools are a dying form in America when we can just use computer programs to animate everything. I'm afraid for them and people who want to get into the industry these days.

When you say none of them look "cute", what's your standard of cuteness? Do you think only anime characters can look cute? I think the shot of Usagi descending look cute enough for me. And if you still can't stand the look of "non-anime" character, then you probably missed the shot of Jupiter kicking because that looks cute enough for anime standard.

And I'm not sure I understand why you say "Animation schools are a dying form in America when we can just use computer programs to animate everything". I went to one of these western school of animation and I have no experience of "computer doing the work for me" (though I totally would love to). Even when I'm doing 3D CG, modeling, rigging and everything takes such a damn lot of effort that I actually decided to go back to 2D.

Maybe self-working program does exist, but it's owned by Disney or Dreamworks or something and they cost millions and there's no way they're making it public anytime soon.

------------

So in case you want to go tl;dr to the above post, I think the point is that,

With this project, they didn't choose people who can't draw, they simply chose people who can animate. And unfortunately, most people who likes anime are now in the illustration field because the thought of "drawing the same fully detailed and attractive character" 8-25 times per second would scare them away from animation for their life. That's why the global animation field nowadays is filled with cartoon-styled artists, who clearly won't mind drawing Finn over and over again for next week's episode.

Peace out.
frubam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Link to actual scene:

http://youtu.be/E6GEm05rt9w?t=7m44s

I'm not one of those SM fanboys, but I thought this was fairly well done and funny =03. I am not one who minds non-traditional animations, especially when fluidity is valued over detailed animation and I can see the work put in to do this. It actually was pretty nostalgic, using the original eng voices and all as well.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:

Nobody forgets Shin-Chan. Just like everyone remembers what Sailor Moon was, and says "this shit isn't Sailor Moon". If you like shit, then more power to you. Most other people don't, and so don't accept this crap. Live with it.

Art style, hellloooo

And you fail to understand that the animation is just that. Art style in anime is not exclusive to cute bright eyes, so I brought Shin-Chan up as a point. I don't see what the problem is. It's not shit.

If you think it is, then oh well, at least you don't have to watch it.

>Everyone remembers what Sailor Moon was

What does that even mean? =/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2