• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Macross TV Series's Teaser Video Aired

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
As a Macross fan this news has me quite elated! After all, the original Macross series is what got me started as an anime fan almost 30 years ago.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Apollo-kun"]Because, according to Kawamori, none of the Macross series are technically canon, and all are just varying fictionalizations of things that happened in the official universe, I would love to see a "real" Macross series. Or, that is to say, a Macross that Kawamori actually considers to be official canon, and not a dramatization of canon. He has teased that "the real Macross is out there somewhere" in interviews before, and I would be overjoyed if this is the series that shows us what he means.
[/quote

Did he actually say that? When? And where?

Because AFAIK only DYRL is considered to be a meta-fictionalization, although we do see them making a fictionalizing of Zero, which we can deduce isn't a fictionalization (at least not the first one) because the events happened in it weren't declassified until decades later, and the actor playing Shin in Frontier didn't look exactly like him.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Apollo-kun wrote:
Because, according to Kawamori, none of the Macross series are technically canon, and all are just varying fictionalizations of things that happened in the official universe, I would love to see a "real" Macross series. Or, that is to say, a Macross that Kawamori actually considers to be official canon, and not a dramatization of canon. He has teased that "the real Macross is out there somewhere" in interviews before, and I would be overjoyed if this is the series that shows us what he means.

Did he actually say that? When? And where?

Because AFAIK only DYRL is considered to be a meta-fictionalization, although we do see them making a fictionalizing of Zero, which we can deduce isn't a fictionalization (at least not the first one) because the events happened in it weren't declassified until decades later, and the actor playing Shin in Frontier didn't look exactly like him.

While actors weren't the same, everything from camera angles, to actor position, to stage blocking was apparently identical between our version of Macross Zero and the fictional movie 'Bird Human'.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
That seemed more like fanservice than anything else. If the froating head hasn't explicitly stated anything (or everything) other than the in-universe version of DYRL (which is not our version of DYRL, apparently) is meta-fiction, I take it at face value.

Although I could totally see:

SDF Macross being the first attempt at an animated fictionalization of the Hikaru Ichijo/Minmay/Misa story. That would explain the crappy off-model animation: 99% of the world's experienced animators/animation directors died. It wouldn't have been the first documentary about SW1 because it did such a poor job of really capturing the overall story of the war and it's aftermath (it followed the most boring people in the fleet, save for the fact that they helped end the war). The in-universe DYRL came later when mankind had recovered.

Macross II being an in-universe attempt at a sequel of the in-universe DYRL (which we can assume was actually live-action) without having to pay royalties to the people featured in it (since most of them were still alive at the time DYRL was made in-universe around 2035 or so, IIRC).

Macross 7 being an animated kids show about what happened on the 7th fleet, created on the fleet a few years later, which would also explain the abysmally bad direction/writing/animation despite the utter epicness that is Fire Bomber and Basara Nekki.

But Plus really happened, because... I said so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2