• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Macross TV Series's Teaser Video Aired

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
So hyped for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
In order to be a teaser, don't you have to have some footage or information about whatever it is you're teasing? This is just an ad, an announcement. I was hoping at least for a character or mech design. Sad
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
hype, just need the next new original gundam
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this.

Spotlesseden wrote:
hype, just need the next new original gundam

We're getting this too, this fall from Tomino and Kenichi Yoshida. Smile
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Good news. Probably be a fansub exclusive for Western fans.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that it will be the remake of the original "Macross the First" just like the new space battleship Yamato.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
I don't want a remake, because then we probably won't get a proper sequel or spin-off for another 10 years.

I want something new, not another retread of a story already told 3 times or more.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they included Macross II.

Btw, no matter how great remake of first series would be, I'd prefer it be direct sequel where Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay play a major (not necessary main) role again, simply to find out what happend to them when they disappeared with SDF-2 Megaroad-01.

Hopefully, one and only Mari Iijima will voice Minmay again, same for Mika Doi as Misa.
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
I cannot wait to find out what the new Macross series will be. A remake based on the Macross The First manga? A brand new story with new characters? I'm hoping for the latter but will be ecstatic with the first too.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:
I'm glad they included Macross II.

Btw, no matter how great remake of first series would be, I'd prefer it be direct sequel where Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay play a major (not necessary main) role again, simply to find out what happend to them when they disappeared with SDF-2 Megaroad-01.

Hopefully, one and only Mari Iijima will voice Minmay again, same for Mika Doi as Misa.

Well, it's part of the series, just not part of the original canon...

On another note, I think they might just teased the title. Given the way they were showing the titles of the other shows/movies/series, I think it's possible the series might actually just be called "Macross," which indicates to me that it might be a remake of the original, or at least another story set in Space War I. Maybe finally a definitive version of SWI?
Panon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:01 am Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:
I hope that it will be the remake of the original "Macross the First"

Macross the First started five years ago and only covered a quarter of the original series before going on indefinite hiatus. It's not getting animated.

Nor should it! Remakes are for lapsed franchises or ones that are out of ideas - coming off an excellent, very successful previous series Macross is neither of those.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
I'd be more excited for something like this if
A) there were a snowball's chance in hell that it would actually be released outside of Japan legally and in a release that didn't cost $70-$80 minimum per disc;
B) that I didn't have a sneaking feeling it's going to be yet ANOTHER revamp of the original Macross series with a love triangle involving two girls (at least one of whom is an idol singer or the like) and a guy, or two guys fighting over the same girl.
I'm sorry but people are in denial over Point B and think they're getting a new show with a NEW story when that isn't the case most of the time.. At least 75% of the Macross sequels/continuations have done exactly what Sunrise/Bandai has done at least a half dozen times with the original Gundam series as well... How many times can you watch the same show over and over again with the plotlines of colonies against Earth, corrupt psychotic leaders, and an enigmatic officer disguised with a mask? People got tired of Gundam very quickly in the States. They never had a chance to get tired of Macross because so little of it was ever allowed to be released outside of Japan!
I appreciate or love the original Macross, the 1984 movie, Flashback 2012 in respects, and was blown away by the animation in Macross Plus. As for the rest, I can take it or leave it -- 7 was silly, M2 and Zero were forgettable for me, and while Frontier has its moments it still feels like I've seen that show before!
Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Well hopefully this new series will be good and hopefully not a reimaging of the original show. I know its dated, but i want keep going forward and not trying reinvent the wheel.

With that last image of the Macross in the very end. One COULD think perhaps they could be doing a Macross-F side story about the Vajri expedition which had the SDF Global as its flagship.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Because, according to Kawamori, none of the Macross series are technically canon, and all are just varying fictionalizations of things that happened in the official universe, I would love to see a "real" Macross series. Or, that is to say, a Macross that Kawamori actually considers to be official canon, and not a dramatization of canon. He has teased that "the real Macross is out there somewhere" in interviews before, and I would be overjoyed if this is the series that shows us what he means.

Or, you know, a sequel to Dynamite 7. But that's just the M7 fanboy in me talking. Still, either way, new Macross is ultimately new Macross, and the series hasn't disappointed me yet, so I'll be happy with whatever. So can this just come out already? Better yet, can HG not be horrible about a localization?

spoiler[Oh wait. That'll never happen.]
Colonel Ron

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Better yet, can HG not be horrible about a localization?

spoiler[Oh wait. That'll never happen.]

Good one!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2