• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So is Tatsuya like spoiler[holding back so people don't realise how dangerous he is]?

Strangely I like the dynamic, the brother and sister are almost pretty much a couple, and I did not find it too dirty or her insane for being so obsessive. That she apparently gets angry for him seems to describe some of their relationship, he instead seems quite aimed on avoiding unnecessary fights and confrontation.

I noticed music similar to Noragami, which is a good thing, and everything looks pretty good. But the discrimination thing feels a bit tired, who here has already seen Baka Test.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
So is Tatsuya like spoiler[holding back so people don't realise how dangerous he is]?
Well, given what we're shown of their past, it's entirely possible spoiler[he doesn't want to fight anymore and's trying to avoid catching the military's attention], which might feed into why he wants to be an engineer.
Quote:
Strangely I like the dynamic, the brother and sister are almost pretty much a couple, and I did not find it too dirty or her insane for being so obsessive. That she apparently gets angry for him seems to describe some of their relationship, he instead seems quite aimed on avoiding unnecessary fights and confrontation.
I think I get some vibes that they might be orphans; her clinging to the only family she has left would definitely fit with her behavior thus far. Protecting her might also feed into his strong conflict-aversion(a beatdown might protect her physically, but can still close a lot of doors).
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I think I get some vibes that they might be orphans; her clinging to the only family she has left would definitely fit with her behavior thus far. Protecting her might also feed into his strong conflict-aversion(a beatdown might protect her physically, but can still close a lot of doors).

I don't know about the mother, but the father is alive. She mentioned the father calling her about her acceptance to the school or something like that. She was upset he didn't call Tatsuya.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
The thing I enjoyed the most was the OST. The series seems like it has potential.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
My fellow anime nerd friends are talking about this anime like, well, crazy. "The most anticipated show of the season", "finally an awesome li'l sis anime", stuffs like that. Which makes me curious, is this show really up to the hype?

I barely know anything about the series, so I took a little peek at its manga adaptation (assuming it faithfully follows the light novel), and 2 most obvious things I see are:
1) The bro is freakin' competent
2) The sis has got the hots for him

It's just your typical shonen, brooding main character with a dark past and mysterious power, sister thats not blood related and obviously in love with him, weird school system that makes absolutly no sense and is just a very weak attempt at talking about diversity/bullying.

From what I read of the manga there's nothing particularly good or bad about it. If you're itching for more shonen, watch it. otherwise skip it (then again this season is looking particularly weak, so maybe watch it anyway since it's pretty much guarantee to be decent)

but this is not a typical shonen. typical shonen's main character has no dark past, just powerful/famous ancestor(s). The main Shonen characters normally have no sister and hey are normally weak. There is no indication says that they are not blood related either.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
The setting was very interesting in this one, as was the aesthetics of the school. I liked the traditional english boarding school vibe. I like the magic system (well, what we've heard about it so far), and it seems like it could really be structurally involved and complex. The uniform design is really nice. I especially like the transparent veil dresses that the girl students wear.

I thought the music during that fight scene was an unusual choice, and I liked it a lot for that. It wasn't the kind of music I'd listen to on its own, but the uniqueness of the choice of that music with that scene was something I was really down with.

The little sister stuff is kind of annoying, but it wasn't overdone this time. The cast seems pretty cool. I hope it doesn't turn into a harem, but I don't really think it's running that risk.

This one is interesting because in some ways, it has a lot of things going on that you might think would make it a strongly otaku show, but the presentation and tone really seem like it's not going to be like that. Here's hoping that my assessment of that is accurate.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
And here I was, convinced this was going to be a trainwreck from the start. I should really stop paying any sort of attention to Chagen. that had some nice pacing, and I'm definitely going to keep watching
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 am Reply with quote
Why would anyone ever listen to Chagen? Seriously. Smile

I think three lines into the episode his main complaint/rant is debunked.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Why would anyone ever listen to Chagen? Seriously. Smile

I was mostly joking. I don't listen to what Chagen says. I just wanted to take a dig at him. However, like WhiteHairGirls in his opening post, I was slightly concerned about this possibly being a train wreck since light novels sometimes seem to be difficult to adapt and Magical Warfare was terrible
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Meh i don't think Magical Warfare had the same kind of following this series did. Considering it's been the show that was hyped the most this season I don't think Madhouse would be stupid enough to treat it in the same fashion.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
And here I was, convinced this was going to be a trainwreck from the start. I should really stop paying any sort of attention to Chagen. that had some nice pacing, and I'm definitely going to keep watching

Mahouka doesn't start as a trainwreck (though the first novel is boring as SIN). It becomes ridiculous later on. Just wait.

As for this episode, boring as hell but the music was good. I'm gonna keep watching for when it becomes pants-on-head stupid later on, which should be fun.

Also Tatsuya is hot. And his voice is SEX. Miyuki's boring and her voice is really deep and flat though. Erika and Leo are far more interesting than the main couple. Animation and art remains good, I can't criticize Mahouka's asthetics at the very least.

My main annoyance with the series at large is how it wastes the potential of being about a guy who can't do normal magic but simply works around that through clever and inventive plans and gambits.
SodaPop65

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SAO had an amazing start that petered off over time, so it leads to some resentment and bad reviews in hindsight even thought lots of people (myself included) were in love with it early on. (g-damn the ALO arc was cringeworthy. I'm not a fan of GGO arc either, I guess we'll see how they adapt it.)

Mahouka has a dull start that becomes my current favorite story thats being written out of Japan. Shows no sign of slowing down, we'll see over time how it ends. (Next volume comes out tommorow)
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
After watching episode 2, I'm concluding this is the worst series I've ever seen. I mean, even trashy ecchi series at least try to entertain the audience. This was twenty minutes of exposition full of incomprehensible technobabble. As best I can tell, it was really cold on the day of the test, so the MC's psions shrank to miniscule size, and now his sister is trying to convince everyone that he actually has the hugest psions in the world, which intrigues the head of the S&M Committee.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Very average and going downhill. The latest episode felt lifeless and the spoiler[duel] was way too rushed. Also, the weird interactions between Shiba and Mayuki is something that I can barely take now.

I really hope this show's story pick up soon..but so far, it's not very impressive imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
After watching episode 2, I'm concluding this is the worst series I've ever seen. I mean, even trashy ecchi series at least try to entertain the audience. This was twenty minutes of exposition full of incomprehensible technobabble. As best I can tell, it was really cold on the day of the test, so the MC's psions shrank to miniscule size, and now his sister is trying to convince everyone that he actually has the hugest psions in the world, which intrigues the head of the S&M Committee.

...... So you want this to be a rushed anime or something? What is wrong with the 2nd episode being an exposition one? Jeez you just can't please everyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 33