• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: (The) irregular at magic high school (TV)
Movie: (The) irregular at magic high school The Movie: The Girl Who Summons the Stars (movie)
Season 02: (The) Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc (TV) (discussion starts here)
Spinoff: (The) Honor Student at Magic High School (TV) (discussed here)
Season 03: (The) irregular at magic high school (TV 3) (discussion starts here|

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 32 volumes, written by Tsutomu Satō, illustrated by Kana Ishida)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 01: Madhouse
Movie: 8 bit
Season 02: 8 bit
Season 03: 8 bit

Genres: action, comedy, magic, romance, science fiction

Themes: alternate history, school, sorcery, technology

Plot Summary: In a world where magic is not a fairy tale but has existed for one hundred years siblings Tatsuya and Miyuki Shiba prepare to begin their studies at the elite Private Magic University Affiliated High School (Magic High School for short). Entering on different levels of the academic spectrum the two turn the once peaceful campus into a chaotic one.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: April 5, 2014 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, Hulu

Movie: June 17, 2017 (Saturday)
Available on: Pending

Season 02: October 3, 2020 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll, Hulu

Season 03: April 5, 2024 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 26 episodes
Movie: 90 minutes
Season 02: 13 episodes
Season 03: Pending

Total: 39 episodes
----------------------------------

This is a story about:

Tatsuya, a defective elder brother low achiever.
Miyuki, a perfect, flawless younger sister high achiever.
After both siblings entered a Magic High School,
The stage of daily turbulence was unveiled—.

Two short special episodes came out. They were basically an info dump explaining the magical school system.

This is my most anticipated anime from the spring lineup. I enjoyed reading the first 5 manga chapters. The only issue I have is that Madhouse is adapting this. Mahou Sensou was a disaster, but since this is 2-cour I think they should do a much better job.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
There's actually 3 SD shorts out. Outside of the info dumps it captures the characters and how they interact quite well.

I wonder how far the adaptation will go. Since so many parallels have been drawn with Sword Art Online, I think maybe they'll only do the first 2 arcs (novels 1-4) like SAO did. However I'm seeing events from the 8th novel in some of the PVs. Then again, that was a flashback arc so it could be incorporated in at any point.
Bango

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
So it's... Mahoukoukouno for short. LOL.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
I usually call it Mahouka. Though I imagine the more english enclined with call it Irregular.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this tbh but we'll see what happens. I just hope they will cover enough material and not rush through the LN. I think the OST might be pretty good though.

Given it's a 2 cour show, I think they might add in some anime additional content, maybe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
My fellow anime nerd friends are talking about this anime like, well, crazy. "The most anticipated show of the season", "finally an awesome li'l sis anime", stuffs like that. Which makes me curious, is this show really up to the hype?

I barely know anything about the series, so I took a little peek at its manga adaptation (assuming it faithfully follows the light novel), and 2 most obvious things I see are:
1) The bro is freakin' competent
2) The sis has got the hots for him
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Hm, well I know that here on ANN only myself and a few other novel readers are particularly excited about it. I think it has a decent chance of being well recieved because it doesn't fall into a lot of the trappings people often complain about.

The two points you make are indeed quite correct Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
My fellow anime nerd friends are talking about this anime like, well, crazy. "The most anticipated show of the season", "finally an awesome li'l sis anime", stuffs like that. Which makes me curious, is this show really up to the hype?

I barely know anything about the series, so I took a little peek at its manga adaptation (assuming it faithfully follows the light novel), and 2 most obvious things I see are:
1) The bro is freakin' competent
2) The sis has got the hots for him

It's just your typical shonen, brooding main character with a dark past and mysterious power, sister thats not blood related and obviously in love with him, weird school system that makes absolutly no sense and is just a very weak attempt at talking about diversity/bullying.

From what I read of the manga there's nothing particularly good or bad about it. If you're itching for more shonen, watch it. otherwise skip it (then again this season is looking particularly weak, so maybe watch it anyway since it's pretty much guarantee to be decent)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
It's just your typical shonen, brooding main character with a dark past and mysterious power, sister thats not blood related and obviously in love with him, weird school system that makes absolutly no sense and is just a very weak attempt at talking about diversity/bullying.

They're 100% blood related.

There's nothing particularly nonsensical about the school system either. Students are divided due to lack of teachers.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, it seems like there's no reason to have the lower class at all, if there's no resources to teach them. It's like it's just there so there's some inequality to whine about. That said, I only saw the preview thingies, maybe it makes sense.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Both groups take the same classes, but Course 1 students get hands on instruction while Course 2 students just follow computer prompts. Course 2 students also serve as replacements should anything happen to Course 1 students.

I'm sure most of this will be established in the first episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, the bullying/discrimination stuff was every bit as bad as I had feared. We're almost at Freezing-level here. I can't not see the writing motivation behind the contrivance, which is a huge downer for appreciating a show.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Interesting relationship between the siblings.
A possible brother complex?]

The main character looks nice ^^
I could be persuaded to see that face more often O.O
Also, I like how he handles himself.
This could turn into a spoiler[chibi harem with all the clingy girls].
Might decide to put it on my list.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Meh could have done without the cheesy bro-sis moments but a somewhat promising opening episode.

The whole segregation thing has been so done to death in anime that i kind of roll my eyes whenever i see it. Other than showing off Tatsuya's analytical skills I really wasn't interested in what was happening and just wanted the situation to get over with. I really hope that isn't the focus of the show because i think everything else holds up rather well.

I just noticed that Taku Iwasaki is composing for this anime and I'm glad he's back to using an orchestra and not solely relying on electronica like he did for Noragami.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I lost count of the times ONIISAMA was said this episode. I think the first episode was underwhelming but it might have potential soon if it adapts it correctly and omit the weak parts from the LN. Then, there's our characters. Well, Shiba isn't a weakling but I'm not a fan of his either based on what I've seen so far. Then, there's Miyuki...and I think we'll get to see the true extent of her abilities soon. I think we got a little glimpse of it already in the pilot episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 33