• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: California Senator Behind Violent Game Bill Arrested on Gun Trafficking Charges

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
People have short memories as he had gotten in trouble before in the mid 90s, yet they still elected him. Nothing new about these types of creeps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:14 am Reply with quote
Karma.

Mark Gosdin
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
Yee could not be reached for comment as he is currently out bowling with his cousin Roman.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
Very Happy Oh man, now that's amusing.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:48 am Reply with quote
There have been several recent cases of politicians getting busted for corruption. The FBI is on a roll.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
Pineapplenya wrote:
he must've played a lot of violent video games as a kid Laughing

He was born in 1948. Video games (as we know them, anyway) didn't exist in the 1950s...
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Okay, what... the... f***?!
Not all that surprising, actually - and not just because he's a legislator. The two groups most likely to support prohibitions and restrictions are Baptists and bootleggers: if you're not some others'-business-minding moralist, you're making money.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
There have been several recent cases of politicians getting busted for corruption. The FBI is on a roll.

FBI and other agencies love busting elected politicians, always have. They're the biggest fish they can chase.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
TheHTRO wrote:
Pineapplenya wrote:
he must've played a lot of violent video games as a kid Laughing

He was born in 1948. Video games (as we know them, anyway) didn't exist in the 1950s...

I thought it was quite funny but you had to ruin that one Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see ANN is reporting on it although this was already reported by the gaming media few days ago. But I found several article from Gamepolitics which might be of interest to all of you:

Poll: Will Leland Yee’s Arrest Negatively Affect the Viability of Anti-Video Game Arguments?

Leland Yee Accused of Buying Campaign Donations With Political Favors and Brokering an Arms Deal

Leland Yee: Rocket Launchers and the Chinese Mafia

I wouldn't be surprised if Leland Yee had ties with the Chinese Communist regime and secretly giving top-secret info on how US military operate to the Chinese government and also giving information on Chinese dissidents (that include the one that take part in the 1989 Tianammen Square uprisings) living in the US and their activities. I would love Leland Yee to be prosecuted for espionage.

Former Friends, Foes Comment on California Senator Leland Yee's Indictments

Well there you go, that's most of the useful info I can find on Leland Yee's criminal act.
BGMaxie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
I do not completely oppose anti-violent measures, except many of them have turned to be garbage to some extent. What really pisses me off is when not-so-nice-people like this guy attempt to show how "sincere" they are, when they are just building their own market of the same niche.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Ah, I see ANN is reporting on it although this was already reported by the gaming media few days ago. But I found several article from Gamepolitics which might be of interest to all of you:

Poll: Will Leland Yee’s Arrest Negatively Affect the Viability of Anti-Video Game Arguments?

Leland Yee Accused of Buying Campaign Donations With Political Favors and Brokering an Arms Deal

I wouldn't be surprised if Leland Yee had ties with the Chinese Communist regime and secretly giving top-secret info on how US military operate to the Chinese government and also giving information on Chinese dissidents (that include the one that take part in the 1989 Tianammen Square uprisings) living in the US and their activities. I would love Leland Yee to be prosecuted for espionage.

Well there you go, that's most of the useful info I can find on Leland Yee's criminal act.

Yee is a state senator - as in senator of the state's legislature, not federal. He has little if any useful information about the US military to offer any government, so espionage allegations are very premature.

I still maintain that most politicians are decent people trying their best, even if I don't agree with their views. Consider how many people serve as elected officials nationwide year after year. How many have even been accused, much less found guilty, of any wrongdoing? It's these sorts like Yee that put a big black eye on the profession as a whole.

I only wish we could start judging people as individuals, not just based on an inarticulate grouping that brushes over personal differences. If we could all do that, maybe this guy wouldn't have been elected in the first place.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Yee is a state senator - as in senator of the state's legislature, not federal. He has little if any useful information about the US military to offer any government, so espionage allegations are very premature.

True I forgot that he's state senator not federal so he can't gain access to top secret US military stuff, but he might have given information about Chinese dissidents living in California if more evidence surface, so if he did that, he can be indicted for espionage and endangering the safety of asylum seekers, that would be the worse he can face, but I'll wait and see.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
y'know, when I think of scummy politicians I think of under-the-table deals and money switching hands in order to get votes or financial support (mostly from corporations or whatnot). I don't think of selling weapons to Muslim extremists and terrorist groups in the Philippines. I mean, HOLY CRAP, Saints Row would think this is too much.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 am Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4