• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nerd Tour Japan 2014: Days Five and Six

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RakuenOokami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry Zac, you're not the only one bothered by Duffy. Very Happy He just pops out of no-where, and they start marketing him, with no tie-in to ANYTHING.

On a different note, I'm really enjoying watching your travels through Japan! Can't wait to see Kyoto next time!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Jafar was swamped with Japanese schoolgirls.

^Highlight statement of the article for sheer amusement.

Fan art of this. Now. Anime hyper

You don't need fanart, I have a photo!

belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You don't need fanart, I have a photo!

Haha, very nice! That is epic, thank you. XD
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The other meaningless cute shit that's everywhere in Japan is usually at least kinda funny or clever or weird. Duffy is just this super generic teddy bear

The advertising you saw may not have made it clear, but Duffy is supposed to be Mickey's teddy bear. And his paws have Mickey silhouettes on them. So he's not just any teddy bear. (That said, I don't care for him either.)

I think the Duffy phenomenon, and lack thereof in the US, has to do with the different demographics of who goes to Disney parks. You don't mention anything about who was making up the crowds when you were there, but one thing that really stuck out at me from my visit was that the locals were nearly all either couples with young children, or groups of young women.

Now I too have the Sindbad song stuck in my head, aaaagh...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Zac wrote:
The other meaningless cute shit that's everywhere in Japan is usually at least kinda funny or clever or weird. Duffy is just this super generic teddy bear

The advertising you saw may not have made it clear, but Duffy is supposed to be Mickey's teddy bear. And his paws have Mickey silhouettes on them. So he's not just any teddy bear. (That said, I don't care for him either.)

I think the Duffy phenomenon, and lack thereof in the US, has to do with the different demographics of who goes to Disney parks.

Actually, it was designed for the marketing mythology of the Disney Cruise Lines (the teddy bear Minnie gave Captain Mickey while he was away) and then was imported to all the parks when...they tried to figure out why the Tokyo park fans were going so nuts over him.
That's strange--Japanese fans NEVER gush over anything cute! Confused

(It also took them years to figure out why they couldn't market Marie the Kitten from "The Aristocats" over here like they could in Paris or Tokyo.)
rheiders

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, DisneySea looks amazing! I got to go to Tokyo Disney when I was in Japan last summer and loved it, but DisneySea looks even cooler^^ I hope I'll get back there someday.

I can't wait to hear about Kyoto! That was my favorite part of my trip; it's a really cool city.
Texas84

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
May not be as bad as Japan but Duffy is all over Epcot. Even has a meet and greet. My cousin was going off about how much she hated it so I had to buy her one. The one you can buy clothes for. HAHAHAHAHA.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:

I think the Duffy phenomenon, and lack thereof in the US, has to do with the different demographics of who goes to Disney parks. You don't mention anything about who was making up the crowds when you were there, but one thing that really stuck out at me from my visit was that the locals were nearly all either couples with young children, or groups of young women.

I don't think "couples with young children" are more common over there--I went to Disneyland with my mother (her brother had to go there for a photography class in college and invited us) and I saw so many couples with their kids it was insane. Granted, it was in California, so there were a LOT of asian couples visiting there, so maybe both Disneyland and Disneysea are alike in their demographics
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
First thing I thought of when I saw Osaka:

So I guess Duffy is basically the Japanese Mickey Mouse? I've heard of him before, but I didn't know it was that big of a deal.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
awwwww why didn't you guys take any pictures of the New York section of American Waterfront? Sad
Scarlet_Scapegrace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Been really enjoying this Nerd Tour feature, this update especially. I've always wanted to visit Japan but never really thought about the Disney parks over there. But after those Disneysea pictures, definitely going to hit there if I ever get the chance.

On the topic of being reminded about Kill la Kill stuff in Osaka, this screenshot makes 200% more sense after reading this article. Never heard about the Glico Man until now. Surprised

Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 am Reply with quote
We must have visited two different Osakas. I found the people in Osaka far more friendly than those in Tokyo. I've seen people pushed down escalators in Tokyo simply so some businessman can make it to the train despite the next train coming three minutes later. But in Osaka, I've had locals sit by me on the train and talk to me about things.

My experience has been, the further away from Tokyo you are, the more pleasant people are.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Osaka... Do real life Osaka people speak like their stereotypical anime counterpart? Using Kansai dialect, that is.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
I remember disneyland in Paris being kind of a let down (perhaps because i was there to short with school trip and with an annoying group ...) but Disneyland in Japan looks awesome they also have 20,000 leagues under the sea which is one of my favourite movies of all time.

I din't think much of going to Disneyland in Japan but after seeing this i must definitely go there when i go to Japan !!!
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Speaking of Osaka... Do real life Osaka people speak like their stereotypical anime counterpart? Using Kansai dialect, that is.

Yes and no. I'm interested in that sorta thing, so I was listening for inflection differences, and they're definitely there in a lot of locals, but just like when regular Tokyo denizens talk, they don't sound like people do in anime. It's way less exaggerated, they just draw out the emphasis on certain words differently, like emphasizing vowels a lot more and going up and down in pitch more often in different places.

Basically, the phrase I heard the most in Japan was "shitsure shimasu" (you can probably guess why) and in Tokyo it was mostly "shitsureshimas, shitsureshimas," while in Osaka it was "SHItsureshiMAAASUUU."

Basically. But yeah, not like anime, needless to say. A lot of those characters are Tokyo natives putting on a phoney baloney accent anyway. (Fun fact, one example I know of that is not: Wolfwood in Trigun. Sho Hayami was raised in the Kansai area but moved to Tokyo later in life, and Trigun's director hired him for the part based on his past work, which was very formal and anime-y and he had been used to speaking more Tokyo-style after living there for a while. When asked if he could kinda fake a thick kansai accent, which is how Wolfwood is written to talk, he said "Sure!" and just let the director believe he was faking it, instead of totally native to and familiar with it. The director was completely impressed and said "You're really good with accents!" Laughing )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3