• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nerd Tour Japan 2014: Days Five and Six

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybob8476

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Looks like you two are having (had) an amazing trip. I am looking to go out to Japan some day, so I will probably keep looking through the PacSet tours. The Christmas one looks pretty cool.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Planning a trip to Japan myself, so the Nerd Tour articles have been very helpful.

Last edited by fuuma_monou on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote
Tokyo Disneyland is where I REALLY would love to go when I'm in Tokyo.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I've only been to East Coast Theme parks, but it certainly feels like you wait in line for 3 hours a ride! That's why I don't like theme parks much; you're basically forking over a ton of money for the privilege of spending most of your day waiting on line. Water parks are better in that regard.

Wow, I haven't been to a theme or even amusement park for years! I remember really loving Epcot, though. Is it really the least loved Disney park? Is there an Epcot in California?

Been loving the photo journal of your trip. Thank you for letting us live vicariously!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Wow, I haven't been to a theme or even amusement park for years! I remember really loving Epcot, though. Is it really the least loved Disney park? Is there an Epcot in California?

The last ride we had at the "Big Golf Ball" (aka Spaceship Earth), they stopped it at the top when we were almost sitting horizontal, then had to get off and walk down. Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I've only been to East Coast Theme parks, but it certainly feels like you wait in line for 3 hours a ride!

(Well, up until now, you could've waited to see the Frozen characters at Epcot's Norway pavilion, which WAS a three-hour wait... Shocked
Unless you were at California's Cars land when it opened, and then the lines were almost that long.)

Quote:

You can usually tell the age at which most fans hate Epcot for "not getting it"--They're usually the ones too young to remember World's Fairs, which's understandable, since we haven't had one over here since Vancouver '87.
Fortunately, I was lucky enough to see the Vancouver fair three years before my first Epcot trip, and I was so totally into what Epcot was trying for. Cool
But "least-loved"? Ohh, no: Animal Kingdom just takes SO much unfair guff from the locals/coaster-heads, and you just want to punch the next kid who says "When're they gonna build another E-ride?"

And no, there's no Epcot in California, but they did move a West coast version of Innoventions into the old Carousel of Progress building, which seems to fit into both ideas of Tomorrowland.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
Speaking of Osaka... Do real life Osaka people speak like their stereotypical anime counterpart? Using Kansai dialect, that is.

Yes and no. I'm interested in that sorta thing, so I was listening for inflection differences, and they're definitely there in a lot of locals, but just like when regular Tokyo denizens talk, they don't sound like people do in anime. It's way less exaggerated, they just draw out the emphasis on certain words differently, like emphasizing vowels a lot more and going up and down in pitch more often in different places.

Basically, the phrase I heard the most in Japan was "shitsure shimasu" (you can probably guess why) and in Tokyo it was mostly "shitsureshimas, shitsureshimas," while in Osaka it was "SHItsureshiMAAASUUU."

Basically. But yeah, not like anime, needless to say. A lot of those characters are Tokyo natives putting on a phoney baloney accent anyway. (Fun fact, one example I know of that is not: Wolfwood in Trigun. Sho Hayami was raised in the Kansai area but moved to Tokyo later in life, and Trigun's director hired him for the part based on his past work, which was very formal and anime-y and he had been used to speaking more Tokyo-style after living there for a while. When asked if he could kinda fake a thick kansai accent, which is how Wolfwood is written to talk, he said "Sure!" and just let the director believe he was faking it, instead of totally native to and familiar with it. The director was completely impressed and said "You're really good with accents!" Laughing )

Ahaha, kinda already expect it wouldn't be like that. Thanks for the enlightenment! Very Happy

Now what's more interesting is guessing what would their reactions be when one talked to them in over-the-top, anime-style Kansai-accent! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3