• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ranma ½ Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Glad to finally start being able to collect this show and see it again after all these years since I believe I only got to see large sections of it and never got to buy the tapes.

Really nice blu-ray.

merr wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I quite enjoyed Brigitta Dau as Ranma. She wasn't great, but I actually think her voice is a slightly better fit than Venus Terzo, who I always thought sounded a tad forced. She actually left the show to move to Los Angeles, where she still lives today. She didn't have any other ANIME roles, but she did have some live action and WESTERN ANIMATION voice acting roles in Vancouver. Notably, she was Patch in My Little Pony Tales (ironically taking over for Venus Terzo). I don't mind Venus though. I just slightly prefer Brigitta.

I've always kind of liked Brigitta's performance too. Yeah, she was definitely rough around the edges, but she was young. I think given some time she could've grown into the role.

The neat thing about the Ranma dub is that most of the lead actresses were still teenagers when the production started, which may explain why their performances weren't nearly as "cartoony" as most early 90's dubs. Compared to a lot of shows from that era, it still holds up pretty well.

Same here. After getting used to the change Venus totally delivered for me, but I quite enjoyed her in those first couple of eps of the series as Ranma too back then. Despite the rough spots, I think she was a lot of fun setting up the character and those early jokes making me like her in those early eps. The two of them did well, female Ranma's probably my favorite character in the show.

It's gonna be kinda fun hearing earlier stuff from those couple of Inuyasha VAs again.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I don't have a BluRay player so I got the DVD version. It's okay I suppose. I just wonder what the booklet is like. How are the episode summaries? Anything interesting in it?

As far as the booklet goes, you aren't missing out on a whole lot. Half of it is the first chapter of the manga (a preview of the new re-release). The other half is episode summaries, with each episode given it's own page. There's also an ad for the manga re-release in the middle of the book, as well as four pages of credits, which includes the English voice actors, English dub crew members, original English staff (mostly subtitlers), and Blu-ray production staff. That's all very nice, and the booklet is visually GORGEOUS, but I wouldn't bother with the Blu-ray just for that.

And saying "each episode [is] given it's own page" is also a bit misleading as to the content of the summaries. The page for each summary is given a single screen capture, a two to three sentence description and a lot of picture border. It is VERY general. The only Ranma release I've ever had before is the first season on dubbed VHS (bought from a B&M rental store going out of business). The descriptions they put on the back of the boxes are twice as long as the "summaries" in the booklet.

The highlight of the booklet is the manga's first chapter, which has a nifty look on the glossy paper. But if you get the manga, It's not really necessary. I think a better feature would be a gallery of color splash pages from the original manga, since those are always rendered in B&W in U.S. releases. Maybe in future volumes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
Really glad to see so many positive reviews of this set. I'm definitely going to pick this up during the next Viz sale.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

wonderwomanhero wrote:
I don't have a BluRay player so I got the DVD version. It's okay I suppose. I just wonder what the booklet is like. How are the episode summaries? Anything interesting in it?

As far as the booklet goes, you aren't missing out on a whole lot. Half of it is the first chapter of the manga (a preview of the new re-release). The other half is episode summaries, with each episode given it's own page. There's also an ad for the manga re-release in the middle of the book, as well as four pages of credits, which includes the English voice actors, English dub crew members, original English staff (mostly subtitlers), and Blu-ray production staff. That's all very nice, and the booklet is visually GORGEOUS, but I wouldn't bother with the Blu-ray just for that.

And saying "each episode [is] given it's own page" is also a bit misleading as to the content of the summaries. The page for each summary is given a single screen capture, a two to three sentence description and a lot of picture border. It is VERY general. The only Ranma release I've ever had before is the first season on dubbed VHS (bought from a B&M rental store going out of business). The descriptions they put on the back of the boxes are twice as long as the "summaries" in the booklet.

The highlight of the booklet is the manga's first chapter, which has a nifty look on the glossy paper. But if you get the manga, It's not really necessary. I think a better feature would be a gallery of color splash pages from the original manga, since those are always rendered in B&W in U.S. releases. Maybe in future volumes?

Yeah, but still, each episode has an entire page dedicated to them. Wink

I do like your idea about the color splash. It could kinda double as an artbook. We know Viz is capable of doing such a thing well.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

The English dub included seems to be The Ocean Group's rendition, which means that the original voice for female Ranma is replaced starting with episode 7. This supposedly happened due to fan complaints at the time, and given how grating Brigitta Dau's performance is, that's entirely believable. (Is it any wonder that this and the franchise's OVAs are her only anime voicing credits?)

Nah, 6 eps is too few for people to complain. Plus, it's one of the earliest dubs widely available (and one of the better ones to boot) and hardly anybody had seen the Japanese version at that point --and this is before the proliferation of the internet, so no instant communcation/feedback (and remember, they had to dub the eps months in advance before the VHS release date)-- so really it was not quick going those days.

(But if ya really wanna know the big dub voice controversy back then, it was the voice of boy-Ranma Sarah Strange. Oh boy! Fans were very divided whether a girl, or that girl specifically, should be voicing boy-Ranma. Ya should've seen the flame wars! Laughing )

Anyways, Ranma Wiki says:

• Brigitta Dau (misspelled "Brigetta Dau" in the credits) is a Canadian voice actress who voices Ranma's female form in the first six episodes of the series; but left the role following her move to Los Angeles and was replaced with Venus Terzo for the rest of the franchise. Despite this, she remained credited for several more episodes, as the ending credits weren't initially changed after her departure.

On the contrary, people then didn't even know why she was replaced, if they even noticed (it wasn't customary to list dub VAs with their anime roles).

merr wrote:

The neat thing about the Ranma dub is that most of the lead actresses were still teenagers when the production started, which may explain why their performances weren't nearly as "cartoony" as most early 90's dubs. Compared to a lot of shows from that era, it still holds up pretty well.

Yes, Ranma 1/2 was one of the rare cases that the main dub casts are not only about the same ages as their characters but some were also younger!

IIRC for example, Angela Costain was only 14 years old when she started voicing 17-year-old Nabiki. Other female VAs were only in their late teens or early 20s, so they were kinda greenhorns not only with the industry but also the concept of anime dubbing.

But that scheme avoided back then the common complaint of the female dub VA sounding a bit too old for this then-new thing called anime dubbing where the common anime girl is a teenager but sometimes act even younger.
Funkgun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:35 am Reply with quote
So if I were to play this next to a DVD copy would it be worth it I wonder?
That said, I love Ranma, and got a lot of people watching anime with it in the mid to late 90's
Key

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, sounds like there's some incorrect information circulating out there about the issue with Brigitta. Apparently I bit on what I'm guessing was only a rumor. Razz

Still didn't like her rendition of female Ranma, though admittedly I didn't appreciate how bad I thought it was until I heard Venus's much better version. I am also a little surprised to hear that this was generally regarded as a good dub at the time. But learning stuff like this is a big part of why I bother to read these response threads.

Funkgun, see this page and watch the video clip for a look at the color upgrades you get. The picture is also uncropped (apparently some earlier releases of the series were?) and the episodes are in originally-intended order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Funkgun, see this page and watch the video clip for a look at the color upgrades you get. The picture is also uncropped (apparently some earlier releases of the series were?) and the episodes are in originally-intended order.

I think the emphasis on the video being uncropped is just meant to be in contrast to some of the "remastered" Dragonball releases being made "widescreen" by cutting off the top and bottom of the screen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes BD remasters reveal more of the original image around the frame edges (less cropped) than previous releases did. I don't know the specifics of why that occurs, but I see it quite often. Interestingly, the first episode of the Lodoss BD appears to crop more of the image in places. Maybe the edges of the film were just too degraded?
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:30 am Reply with quote
Given the kind of legacy that this show has, I should probably pick it up and give it a watch. I've never seen it and thus have no nostalgia, but not having something this prolific in my collection would be just a shame.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2