• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
You're agreeing with someone who is.
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Without being to lengthy this series repulsed me almost instantly. Almost everything people complain about Naruto is here, the only strong spot seemed to be the music, which aside from maybe 3 songs wasn't even that good. Eureka 7 and Accel world had much better OSTs'. Ryuko is a joke, Satsuki is a bigger joke and the big four are pathetic. This is just a big Mahou Shoujo parody, that sucks.

>Trigger's saving anime? Pfft!

Bones saved anime years ago.
jet_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Akuma-Soul wrote:
Without being to lengthy this series repulsed me almost instantly. Almost everything people complain about Naruto is here, the only strong spot seemed to be the music, which aside from maybe 3 songs wasn't even that good. Eureka 7 and Accel world had much better OSTs'. Ryuko is a joke, Satsuki is a bigger joke and the big four are pathetic. This is just a big Mahou Shoujo parody, that sucks.

>Trigger's saving anime? Pfft!

Bones saved anime years ago.

I'm glad that you put so much effort into backing your opinion and made a post of such great quality to contribute to the discussion about the topic.
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote
The animation did improve in the chunk of episodes this review covers. If I remember right, the latter half had help from staff from the new EVA films? There's a particularly stellar fight scene between Ryuko and Satsuki in Osaka. So yeah, it's unfair to judge the second half of the series' animation quality if you've only seen the first few episodes. Provided, I still wouldn't have given it an A for animation, more like a B or B+. (if everything was animated like that Osaka fight or the final episode then yeah, definitely an A)

I loved the series, and I was happy with the ending, which usually doesn't happen with anime. (I love anime, but I think we can all agree there's a lot of terrible endings) I can understand why the show might not be some people's cup of tea but eh, I enjoyed the wild ride and was completely satisfied with the show.

Between Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill I actually followed a weekly anime on a consistent basis for once. Time will tell if another solid show emerges for me to watch in the coming up season.
law240

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I think as far is the A is concerned all the "bad" animation happens in the first part of the series. so I can see why he gave it an A
SetSailsAndGo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
>A Rating for animation

Come on, much of the show felt slide-showish. Really, characters don't move as much as they just slide/float around on screen, how's that A worthy?
Well I personally think that for such a low budget the animation was awesome. There were scenes where the characters just slided across the screen but it fitted the style of the series so I didn't mind. All the key animations were very well placed so it was very pleasant for the eyes. Madoka for example had much more detailed animations with many more frames but I still didn't find the movements smooth and fluent.
So if say Kyoani shows have A ratings for animation than Kill la Kill would be a B- at best, but without comparing shows and considering the budget A seems perfectly fine for me.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Nui was actually one of my favorite characters. I don't know why people seem to hate her. I mean she's insane, but that make her endearing.

When a shows only complain is that the villains are bad, then you know you've got a great show and it is a great show. One of my favorite anime now. Even with all of the fanservice (which I typically avoid)

Also Ragyo groping everyone actually plays into her character. spoiler[ by groping Satsuki she's able to show dominance over her. It's a power play to try and weaken her morale while coming off as incredibly creepy and it works!]

Bad villains can currently be a mark against a show regardless. Ragyo literally was nothing more than a "I'm going to destroy the world!" villain. Not to mention she had a rather pathetic death considering how much of brute she was over the course of the series. Easily one of the worst points of the series for me. I really like her VA though. Makes her character almost tolerable.

Also i really think it was in bad tastes to make her a molester. The characters all treated it as if it was no big deal which implies that it was only used as a means of having more fanservice. So it honestly served no purpose. There are plenty of other ways to make someone appear to have dominance over their foes. Kill la Kill does it in such a disturbing way (the incest made it even more off putting) and has no real reason for it. Yes it makes her creepy but it doesn't add any depth to her character or make her a less generic villain. After all i've seen plenty of male villains that molest women and are looked at as scum so i don't see where all the support for Ragyo is when she is doing much of the same.
Beized

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
animehermit wrote:
king 47 wrote:
gedata wrote:
>A Rating for animation

I only saw two or three episodes before dropping the show, but I agree that from what I've seen the animation wasn't all that. While they might have improved, I doubt they changed all that much.
I have been seeing very weird ratings on ANN, especially for animation.

"I haven't even watched the batch of episodes this review covers, but I'll disagree with the review anyway"

But I didn't disagree with the review. I just said that the beginning of the show had very bad animation and that I found some very weird ratings.

"I disagree the analysis of this show, and I think ANN gives out weird ratings, but I didn't say that the show, whose analysis I disagree with, and whose thread I am voicing those disagreements in, was a show that had received these weird ratings. How dare you infer that I disagree with the review!"

Something like that?
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Man if this show can generate this much love and hate then that must be a good thing. I'm dying with laughter.

All I care about is adding the series to my collection and seeing the OVA. But folks shouldn't hype themselves up for the OVA too much, y'know how these things go. But I hope that it will be good enough to close out the rest of the show. If we have to wait this long I wonder how long it will take for the actual release?
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I believe the 'A' rating is for the unique style of animation and utilizing the budget well perhaps. It's also a bit tongue in cheek with the series I imagine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Nui was actually one of my favorite characters. I don't know why people seem to hate her. I mean she's insane, but that make her endearing.

When a shows only complain is that the villains are bad, then you know you've got a great show and it is a great show. One of my favorite anime now. Even with all of the fanservice (which I typically avoid)

Also Ragyo groping everyone actually plays into her character. spoiler[ by groping Satsuki she's able to show dominance over her. It's a power play to try and weaken her morale while coming off as incredibly creepy and it works!]

Bad villains can currently be a mark against a show regardless. Ragyo literally was nothing more than a "I'm going to destroy the world!" villain. Not to mention she had a rather pathetic death considering how much of brute she was over the course of the series. Easily one of the worst points of the series for me. I really like her VA though. Makes her character almost tolerable.

Also i really think it was in bad tastes to make her a molester. The characters all treated it as if it was no big deal which implies that it was only used as a means of having more fanservice. So it honestly served no purpose. There are plenty of other ways to make someone appear to have dominance over their foes. Kill la Kill does it in such a disturbing way (the incest made it even more off putting) and has no real reason for it. Yes it makes her creepy but it doesn't add any depth to her character or make her a less generic villain. After all i've seen plenty of male villains that molest women and are looked at as scum so i don't see where all the support for Ragyo is when she is doing much of the same.

spoiler[ I can agree that her plan wasn't the best and was kind of generic so I can see where you're coming from. But her groping, etc is incredibly off putting that's the point. You're right it's not for the characters in the show, it's for the audience. But I'd consider it more of a fan disservice. I can't think of anything that she could have done that would have perfectly encapsulated her character. The scenes where she goes about doing this are very disturbing, and in bad taste. But that's the reaction the creators were going for. They wanted to show that she is creepy, insane, and flaunting her subjugation over Satsuki and do it in one scene. That one scene makes her instantly reviled and unforgettable, while making the audience hate her.

The whole point of the show was kind of lampshading fanservice tropes. I think the creators were aware of that. I can name numerous shows where a female character gets groped by another. It is often entirely fanservice and contributes nothing. So taking that idea and incorporating it into a character's development was an effective way to use that idea. It's not good by any means and those scenes were disturbing, but they definitely serve a purpose in the point of her character and the show.]

Also I don't know of anyone who does support her. In my opinion she is scum just as she would be if she was a male.
daichi383

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
While i really dug the shows visual style, the actual animation overall was average. Sure there are moments of excellence but that doesn't warrant an A rating. The most consistent episode on the animation from was #24 but i'd still only give that episode alone a B overall. Then again if you are more rating it an A for overall visuals i guess i can understand but since the category is animation i can't really see how it would get that rating.

Other than that this was a pretty good review for a pretty good show. That line about ragyo, well played. Wink
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see any problems with the animation, that was the style they choose for it, and they did a good job.

As for the bad taste argument, you are watching anime, so you already have bad taste, like we all here do.

Listening to these bad taste complaints, reminds me of that Funimation beginning commercial blurb on all their DVDs/BDs, about whether anime fans are born or created...........

When Senketsu rips off Ryuko's clothes off in the first episode, you should have run screaming from your TV in complete horrification, because this isn't K-On, Lucky Stars, or Channel A.

You make it sound like the entire cast was there watching and cheering Ragyo on. If by chance the Four Devas knew anything about it, they probably thought that Satsuki was making a sacrifice for her master plan, and they soldiered on, instead of making trouble and risking everything.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
A truly great series I'm glad I stuck with all the way to the incredible end.

Now for the OVA!

Same here, loved the hell out of this show. Looking forward to some blu-rays (and hopefully perhaps with a fun, exciting dub as well).
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Man I feel so much differently on this show now than I did before it's almost unbelievable. I think part of that had to do with the fact that I actually had a bunch of friends in college who were also watching it and we could get into semi discussions. It even lead us to seeing the final episode in one room...or the raw version anyway with one of my friends partially translating...

As stated I wasn't sold on KlK at the begining, even though I loved the style and I found the cheap animation to be almost hilarious at times, I wasn't truly invested in anything that happened. Hell I still don't find Ryuko to be an entertaining character, but her story arc works and I loved the rest of the cast (well maybe not Ragyo...I personally loved to hate Nui) it seemed like once it finally cut it out with "I GOTTA FIND OUT WHO KILLED MY DAD~" it got a lot more interesting, my only other gripe is the animation. Yeah It got good in moments, but it was just that, moments. I hate making comparisons but I remembered the final fight scene in Lagann much more due to how vividly it looked. It may just be me but that kind of thing really helps with getting my adrenaline pumping.

I'm definitely glad I stuck with it, it may not have been my favorite of the fall season (that was Kyousogiga) but it was definitely a highlight of mine for the winter season and since I finally got a twitter I had alot of fun looking at the production sketches and art. I hope Trigger goes on to make some great stuff (hopefully with a better budget)!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10