• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill la Kill Episodes 13-24 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
On Ragyo's abuse:

spoiler[
Her groping is really disgusting and at first seems superfluous to the story... if you aren't listening to what she's saying.

When looking at the role of clothes in our society, the rape apologists and religious modesty arguments are the same - If you're showing that much skin, you're "asking for it" or you're a slut or too sexual.

Ragyo is trying to reinforce the negative effects of nudity to Satsuki, and thus the virtue of clothing. She's trying to brainwash Satsuki through abuse to make her a better vessel for Junketsu and a better weapon for Ragyo.

There will always be arguments about the presence of triggering elements in a story (Valvrave, anyone?), but I think in this case it was used pretty responsibly to the story/motifs.
]

That's my two cents, anyway.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Nui was actually one of my favorite characters. I don't know why people seem to hate her. I mean she's insane, but that make her endearing.

When a shows only complain is that the villains are bad, then you know you've got a great show and it is a great show. One of my favorite anime now. Even with all of the fanservice (which I typically avoid)

Also Ragyo groping everyone actually plays into her character. spoiler[ by groping Satsuki she's able to show dominance over her. It's a power play to try and weaken her morale while coming off as incredibly creepy and it works!]

Bad villains can currently be a mark against a show regardless. Ragyo literally was nothing more than a "I'm going to destroy the world!" villain. Not to mention she had a rather pathetic death considering how much of brute she was over the course of the series. Easily one of the worst points of the series for me. I really like her VA though. Makes her character almost tolerable.

Also i really think it was in bad tastes to make her a molester. The characters all treated it as if it was no big deal which implies that it was only used as a means of having more fanservice. So it honestly served no purpose. There are plenty of other ways to make someone appear to have dominance over their foes. Kill la Kill does it in such a disturbing way (the incest made it even more off putting) and has no real reason for it. Yes it makes her creepy but it doesn't add any depth to her character or make her a less generic villain. After all i've seen plenty of male villains that molest women and are looked at as scum so i don't see where all the support for Ragyo is when she is doing much of the same.

spoiler[ I can agree that her plan wasn't the best and was kind of generic so I can see where you're coming from. But her groping, etc is incredibly off putting that's the point. You're right it's not for the characters in the show, it's for the audience. But I'd consider it more of a fan disservice. I can't think of anything that she could have done that would have perfectly encapsulated her character. The scenes where she goes about doing this are very disturbing, and in bad taste. But that's the reaction the creators were going for. They wanted to show that she is creepy, insane, and flaunting her subjugation over Satsuki and do it in one scene. That one scene makes her instantly reviled and unforgettable, while making the audience hate her.

The whole point of the show was kind of lampshading fanservice tropes. I think the creators were aware of that. I can name numerous shows where a female character gets groped by another. It is often entirely fanservice and contributes nothing. So taking that idea and incorporating it into a character's development was an effective way to use that idea. It's not good by any means and those scenes were disturbing, but they definitely serve a purpose in the point of her character and the show.]

Also I don't know of anyone who does support her. In my opinion she is scum just as she would be if she was a male.

I suppose support isn't the right word. It's more like people are more tolerable of it. From what i've seen not to many folks had a problem with it. Now if one were to flip the switch and turn Ragyo into Satsuki and Ryuko's father you'd have storm of literally hundreds of people going "Someone kill this sick bastard!". Heck you don't even have to make him touch her. People got disgusted when in spoiler[Sankarea Rea's father was taking nude pictures of her to remember his ex wife.] The situation was actually more disturbing than it was here but ACTUALLY served a purpose in the series and wasn't used as if on a mere whim.

Now i get what you mean. Her being like this is characteristic to make her more unlikeable/hateable to the audience. But as i said there are certainly other ways of accomplishing this. I mean I didn't have a problem with the fanservice in the show as a whole but using incestuous relations as another means of fanservice just never did sit well with me.

Now don't get me wrong it's not as if this issue completely ruins the show or anything because i still gave it a Very Good rating. It's just the main issue I personally had the show (plus the sometimes really cheap animation). As people said in Metal Gear thread using things like this aren't always bad but if they are simply there for no real reason than to make us hate the villain then it just comes off as cheap.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about A in animation, but I also don't care. The show was never boring to look at as it was oozing with style. It always felt pretty inventive with how it displayed things. Thats more that I can say for a show like K On which may have fantastic animation, but is also boring as sin to look at.

Plus it always seemed like it had good animation when it needed to. Yet it had no problem making fun or using the bad animation, which is hardly something you see in anime. When it had "bad" animation it never felt cheap or terrible to look at. The show had fun and ran with it.

At the end of the day the direction of the show is pretty entertaining on it's own. I can't say that about a lot of anime. I'm not sure if that means it deserves an A in animation, but I sure would give it one. Kill La Kill is just a pleasure to look at all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
It was a fun show that hit its top around episode 15 due to its execution of comedy and drama but its ending felt really formulaic (Saint Seiya Omega already a similar season finale last year).

I think even the writers knew that KLK's villains were pretty bad so he made Ryuko become an antagonist not once but twice! It's amazing they repeated the same scenario of the girl losing herself in her anger and becoming an enemy to Satsuki who has to be aided by Mako. Same concept, different execution.

Then the one big flaw I noticed is that nobody dies in this show. They go through a lot of pain yet they nobody dies. Ryuko has her head opened in one fight and keeps fighting. Even Ichigo from BLEACH would be surprised. How can I care for the cast? spoiler[Only Senketsu dies but it felt really rushed.][/spoiler]

About the bad touch scene. Can you imagine how different would have been the backlash if it involved two male characters? I don't wanna think about it
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
It was a fun show that hit its top around episode 15 due to its execution of comedy and drama but its ending felt really formulaic (Saint Seiya Omega already a similar season finale last year).

I think even the writers knew that KLK's villains were pretty bad so he made Ryuko become an antagonist not once but twice! It's amazing they repeated the same scenario of the girl losing herself in her anger and becoming an enemy to Satsuki who has to be aided by Mako. Same concept, different execution.

Then the one big flaw I noticed is that nobody dies in this show. They go through a lot of pain yet they nobody dies. Ryuko has her head opened in one fight and keeps fighting. Even Ichigo from BLEACH would be surprised. How can I care for the cast? spoiler[Only Senketsu dies but it felt really rushed.][/spoiler]

About the bad touch scene. Can you imagine how different would have been the backlash if it involved two male characters? I don't wanna think about it

LOL I think watching the backlash of people screaming "WTF IS THIS GAY *@!#%?" would be more entertaining than the show itself at that point xD.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I guess the issue with animation is what does it mean? Like someone said above. From an artistic standpoint its kind of cartoonish, really reminds me of Panty Stockings and Garterbelt, but it fits the show well and is not bad because of a lack of budget or anything like that, its intentional.

I guess it would be better to call the category visuals rather than animation, because the latter almost implies whatever one is griping about, its technical merits, while the former is more what did you think looking at it.

Also have to agree with a few others Nui was an irritating character, and agree with the analogy to Escaflowne. She feels unneeded.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:28 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:

My opinion, in less extreme, I couldn't even finish watching the last 5 episode I think. The show was great when it accepted that it was just comedy and crazy action with no plot, as soon as it started trying to have one it feel apart, Satsuki was the only interesting main character, but she couldn't support the entire show by herself, I'm pretty sure they knew that so that's why they had spoiler[her mother grope her( actually at this point we might as well say have sex with her, or maybe rather rape her) in a way to make us hate her without actually spending any time developing her, I think it failed.]

The show repeated all of it's dramatic moment multiple time,spoiler[ how many time did Ryuko renounce Senketsu already]? And then it got so predictable, somebody on the forum asked me predict the rest of the show back at the beginning of February and I pretty much nailed it apparently, kinda disappointed. Sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This is just about the only show for which I've ever bothered to stay current with the Japanese broadcast (or indeed watch within a few years of said broadcast), and I loved the hell out of every moment of it. As Carl put it, it was one big balls-to-the-wall adrenaline rush, and the finale literally had me holding my breath. Also Mako is pretty much the greatest character of all time.

(The only downside is knowing that those bastards at AoA are going to be releasing it here. So much for owning it. Sad )
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Kill la Kill was awesome. Very Happy I really enjoyed it for the roller-coaster ride it turned out to be (though it was more like one giant hill, and the coaster kept going faster and faster as it got close to the top, and when it flew off the rails it landed into the arms of a crowd of naked people... or something like that Laughing). Although the ending felt a bit jam-packed, it managed to hit so many high notes and did so much right that I've got to applaud Trigger for making one heck of a climax to the series. I'm definitely going to get the Blu-Rays when they eventually release, and I'm so looking forward to the OVA, I can't wait. Anime catgrin

As for the animation, I mentioned in the review for the early stream episodes that I thought it was fantastic, though not necessarily for the technical merits some detractors have been focusing on. Rather, I think the animation is fantastic because of the daring of the actual physical motions of the characters, the oftentimes dynamic and dizzying changes of perspective, and the sheer accomplishment of rendering such complex setpieces so wonderfully. The technical marvel of animation is more than just its smoothness and framerate, but also in the feat of human skill it takes to render incredibly complex sequences. Obviously for a TV series (or almost any work really) you're not going to need jaw-dropping animation for every minute of the production, and for a stylistic show like Kill la Kill I think it's to the studio's credit that they managed to keep the animation consistently entertaining and in the spirit of the show the whole way through, even in the moments when it wasn't cranked up to 11. In that respect I think the animation staff really did a fantastic job, that in my book warrants an A rating hands down.

Regarding the incest scenes with Ragyo --- there's an undeniably clear sexual nature to them, and though they do raise an uncomfortable brow for what seem like fanservice-leanings, they're at least effective in demonstrating Ragyo as being a very disturbing person. It may also interest some people to know that there does happen to be another layer of meaning to those scenes, or at least to the bath scene between Satsuki and Ragyo --- Kill la Kill has had an incredibly amount of referential imagery and ideas used throughout the show, in the form of hundreds of pop-culture, historical, and classic anime references. Well, on top of that mountainous list of shout-outs, cameos and tie-ins, Kill la Kill also makes a number of references to Buddhism, both visually and in some ways conceptually (such as the Four Heavenly Kings, the similarity between Mount Meru and Honnouji Gakuen, and what look to be Star Mandalas on the Life Fiber making machines). Strangely enough, it turns out that the bath scene between Ragyo and Satsuki (which Ragyo described as a ritual) actually quite visibly shows Satsuki's chakra gates being opened at the 'climax' of the scene. There are some sites online that list out all of the hundreds of references that Kill la Kill makes, so it might be of interest to some to seek out those resources. I'm not sure if it really excuses the scene, which is very much discomfiting, but it does add a layer of nuance that gives it a bit more substance than might first meet the eye.
Brightshadow360

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I think the series (ironically) lost it's way during the second half. It felt rushed towards the end. In fact, the whole series felt rushed (note I am not referring to the breakneck pace of the series action, but to the way the plot was crammed). I think the first half of the series should have had many more one off battles like the battle with the tennis club. a whole season of Ramna 1/2 style antics would have been wonderful. instead Ryoko underwent her awakening in the third episode and had her first major fight with Satsuki. Way to cut a good chunk of the show short Trigger.

As for the second half, the conflict could have gone so many other ways. where was the social commentary on clothing and our relationship to it that the show was building up to before (not to mention the commentary on the caste system in place around the academy)? it devolved int nothing but us VS them. what about Ragyo's backstory? how did she get life fibers integrated with her (seeing as spoiler[ Nui had to be born in a life fiber womb and Ryoko barely survived the implant as a baby) ]. what about the original life fiber itself? couldn't sengetsu and ryoko have a conversation with it? they could have tried to convince it that they could live together as one. what about satsuki and her uniform? they could have started to form a relationship. finaly, what about spoiler[the Ryoko and satsuki's sister relationship]?

all in all, the show was rushed and killed off before it's time. all of the loose ends could have made for at least another full season, maybe two more.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Kill La Kill made a lot of cuts in animation that do not warrant an A rating and I agree that the villains are not compelling at all.

Besides that KLK is still a fun watch and I enjoyed the series. It takes a powerful performance to make me overlook the number of tropes KLK adopted.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
This was my third favorite show to end this season (behind Log horizon and Zvezda), but it was a great show.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I must be missing something.
Carl's review of Hozuki no Reitetsu Animation B-
Kill La Kill A.
?

I would argue that both shows had similar amounts of actual animation, and in my opinion Hozuki no Reitetsu looked way better.

I will admit, the fangasms over this show leave me puzzled.
I equate it with watching 5 year olds playing.
Bad Guy #1: "Take that!"
Good Guy: "Ouch! Well, here is my attack!"
Bad Guy #1: "Ugh, Well here is my super duper attack!"
Good Guy: "Yikes! Well here is my ultra super duper attack!"
last episode 600 minutes later.
Real Bad Guy #1: "Not bad, but this ends now, cower from my ultra evil bad guy incest molesting FATE OF THE WORLD, .... and you stink attack!"

Good Guy: "Damn you! Well here is my all combining, former enemies and all powers manifested in the show balled into one by the sheer force that is good and can not be denied......AGHNNNN!"

I hope I did not spoil that for anyone.

Decent while it lasted, but what is there possibly to be gained from a repeat viewing?.

Out of the 6 shows that I was following on Cruncyhroll Thursdays, this was #6 for me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Kill La Kill made a lot of cuts in animation that do not warrant an A rating
This I feel shows you missed what they were going for. No, the animation wasn't fluid, but they never meant it to be. We're not talking about some Hanna-Barbera cartoon where the characters don't move unless they absolutely have to; the characters bounce all over the screen so much that the lack of inbetween animations is blatantly seared as part of the style.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Gasero wrote:
Kill La Kill made a lot of cuts in animation that do not warrant an A rating
This I feel shows you missed what they were going for. No, the animation wasn't fluid, but they never meant it to be.

Ok:
Picture Drama: A
Animation: C+ (that CG opener to the last episode was sweet!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10