• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2014 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Both shows directly lift from Madoka. That's why they're being compared. People aren't making things up or being unfair, the shows are obviously copying elements from that series, sometimes so blatantly and on a fundamental level that they wind up in "this feels like a pretty direct rip-off" territory.

Daybreak Illusion was definitely a Madoka knock-off, but there are half a dozen shows Wixoss is ripping off more directly in both style and plot -- Black Rock Shooter, [C]-Control, Another, Fantasista Doll, Devil Survivor, Persona.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Beginning to think I should have held off renewing my Crunchyroll for the Spring season. Damn I wish it wasn't automatically renewed four days before the end of March.

Meh. Still got several more shows to go.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The Mushi-shi sequel series just started streaming. Some would probably consider that alone worth the subscription price.

Gonna be a slow day today, with only that and the Jojo sequel set to debut (amongst full-length episodes, anyway) and Riddle Story of Devil possibly showing up at some point. Much, much heavier tomorrow and Sunday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rederoin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The season is off to a decent start, but still no info on when we will be getting Akuma no riddle subs, which sucks.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Zac wrote:
Both shows directly lift from Madoka. That's why they're being compared. People aren't making things up or being unfair, the shows are obviously copying elements from that series, sometimes so blatantly and on a fundamental level that they wind up in "this feels like a pretty direct rip-off" territory.

Daybreak Illusion was definitely a Madoka knock-off,

Madoka did not create the 'dark' magical girl genre.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:

Hmm, unfortunately, it appears that whenever an anime with all-female/female-heavy cast airs, it will be immediately compared with Madoka. Especially if the story's a bit dark and contains some fantasy element.
First that anime with Italian title last year, and now this...

When something is hugely successful and popular, there are many attempts to replicate that success. It isn't a crime or some kind of horrible atrocity for a show to ape another successful series, nor is it some kind of unfair cynical smear job to point out what the extremely obvious base influence is.

(This is weird. I prepared this response last night but fell asleep before even getting to post it, and someone else decided to raise the same point lol (specifically referencing Zac's preview of Daybreak Illusion too).)

I often find myself agreeing with you Zac on your reviews (maybe I just enjoy your occasional cynic's take on some of the sillier stuff), but I will say that I think you've been taking a strongly negative early view of shows that involve magical type girls and are "trying to be dark." I've noticed you indicate that such shows are trying to ape Madoka, and get a negative impression of them as a result.

I would like to talk a bit about Daybreak Illusion. I don't know if you watched any more of that show than the first episode or so, but (although I was also somewhat skeptical at first) I ended up watching the whole series and was amazed by how smart and innovative the show actually was. It experimented with a lot of different things in that magical girl genre that were distinctly different than Madoka. (e.g. the girls in Illusion were forced to kill innocent people rather than save them, and the "good guys" were not really villains like Kyubey was in Madoka. They were technically good, but in a sort of ruthless way where they would lock a magical girl in a dungeon if she refused to keep killing.) Likewise, the mascot characters in Illusion were not anything like Kyubey. From what I could tell, they actually served as symbols for a kind of strange philosophical debate between chaos and fate which was played out at a certain point in the show, as indicated by their names (Shrodinger and Laplace - references to the famous physicist Erwin Shrodinger and mathematician Pierre Simon Laplace.) Whereas Madoka was much more of an intellectual puzzle, Illusion was more of a philosophical/emotional roller coaster. The general tone of the two shows was starkly different as well. Madoka started off as a kind of fake "sugary/sweet" magical girl show that finished by sort of taking away the "fake" part. Illusion starts off going hard with its gut-punches and continues to go hard all the way to the finish, never pulling a single punch. Likewise, the endings of the two shows were completely different. Whereas Madoka ended in spoiler[messiah-like sacrifice], Illusion ended in spoiler[personal introspection and reconciliation]. At the end of the day, I realized that there was very little in common between them aside from both being magical girl shows with "dark" themes.

I guess my point is, I think it is pretty easy to expect that there are a lot of shows that will come out and try to capitalize on Madoka's success. However, I don't think we can assume that's the case when a show involving magical girls of sorts is dark. Sometimes a show might surprise you if you go beyond some of those initial similarities.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:
The season is off to a decent start, but still no info on when we will be getting Akuma no riddle subs, which sucks.

I was wondering about Akuma no Riddle too it was one of my more anticipated shows for the season.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
First episode of JOJO: STARDUST CRUSADERS was pretty badass, loving the animation. I'm looking forward to listen to the opening and ending theme songs.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

I was wondering about Akuma no Riddle too it was one of my more anticipated shows for the season.

There are raws circulating, but no fansubs yet. I'm checking pretty regularly, though, as, I suspect, are others.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
With Mushishi and JoJo airing this season, there are two more reasons for looking forward to Fridays. Very Happy

Nothing else has caught my interest so far, though...

Last edited by Merida on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
First episode of Mushi-shi (Sequel Series) was as expected absolutely fantastic.One thing thing that I have noticed is that it shared similar motives and themes with the first episode of the original series,giving Mushishi a sort of circular narrative structure.I find it fascinating that a show can , in only 20 minutes ,create such a beautiful and serene atmosphere followed by layered characters and well told themes.This episode was one of the rare ones that expanded upon the mushi-shi society,the way we see how their society works was mostly shown and even when they used exposition it felt natural and not shoehorned.Great backgrounds as always which can get little distracting but director makes a smart decision to remove background pictures sometimes,so we could focus more on what characters are doing.There were amazing shots in this episode,including the last one which was just...great.I am so happy this got second season!!
P.S. the new opening is better then the first one.
Now to watch more JOJO

Last edited by danilo07 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SiLVER820

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
WIXOSS is ok. It lifts directly from Madoka with some key imagery ( clocks, disorienting shots, etc.). It's a competent type of mediocre, but the incest subplot and Tama's annoying moe sounds bring it down. It being written by Mari Okada is the only reason I checked it out, but I don't think it'll keep me around.

I give it a 2.

EDIT: The show has potential and is at least intriguing enough to warrant a second episode.

Last edited by SiLVER820 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures:Stardust Crusaders has a pretty awesome first episode!Seriously this and Mushishi make Fridays the best thing ever.Surprisingly,it now has a really good animation which means that all of my complaints about first season are nonexistent.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blade & Soul anime was garbo since the promo image.
king 47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I have a quick question.
What's the deal with Madoka? I haven't seen it and probably wont, but it seems that every other review and opinion about shows will some comparison or reference to the show. I'm not trying to troll here.
I get the impression that it's dark from people, but haven't other shows done that before it? Or is it something entirely new. Or is it that it looks like a magical girl show, but there's actually more underneath?
I don't care for spoilers, so I wouldn't mind.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit I wish the ANN guys would stop comparin Wixross to Madoka. Madoka is did not invent the "dark magical girl show" genre no matter how hard you try to push it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 50