• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Captain Earth (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
How is it not like eva?

Child pilot who can pilot his mech "because"? Check
Daddy issue? Check
Unknown force attacking earth? Check
Mysterious girl? Double check
Mysterious organization? Check
Tons of technobabble that are left unexplained? Check

How does that not describe a whole lot of mecha anime? Valvrave?
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
How is it not like eva?

Child pilot who can pilot his mech "because"? Check
Daddy issue? Check
Unknown force attacking earth? Check
Mysterious girl? Double check
Mysterious organization? Check
Tons of technobabble that are left unexplained? Check

Heck the command room even look like eva command room. I half expect Teppei to turn out to be Kaworu.

Really all that missing is mother issue (which will probably come soon) and pseudo christian motif.

Ultimately eva is about adolescence, I'm pretty sure that's also what captain planet will be about. "Angst, sadness, rebellion, akward love, by your power combine I am… a japans mech anime? What? how is that even related?"

You are painting in such broad strokes it isn't even funny.

Child Pilot - There is a fairly large difference between a 14 year old and 17 year old for one.

Daddy issue - HUGE stretch for multiple reasons. First off, the main character in Captain Earth doesn't have some horrible relationship with his father. There isn't some inkling of a strained relationship, bordering on child abuse as there is in Evangelion. As far as we know, he just misses a father spoiler[who died].spoiler[ He was a child when he died and doesnt know exactly why he died.]. To sit here and be like "This is like Evangelion" after one episode that doesnt draw similarities isn't a logical conclusion.

Unknown force attacking earth - So pretty much the majority of anime? This is seriously a point you are trying to make. A TON of shows do this. And these arent giant monstrosities attacking Earth. They are humanoid beings, if not humans.

Mysterious Girl - You mean the one we see for a minute of the show and can draw pretty much zero conclusions to and not get an idea of who the character is? Yes, exactly like Rei Ayanami.

Mysterious Organization - See previous point of MANY anime do this. I'm guessing by your logic, Darker than Black is the same as Evangelion.

Tons of Technobabble that is left unexplained - Many shows do this. Tons of shows do this. And I cant stand when people complain. Have patience. Or would you rather have a first episode of info dump with nothing else happening. Not everything needs to be explained in the first 10 seconds of the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

It does. A whole lot of mechs anime are trying to be eva. I mean it can still change quite a bit, it's just one episode, but yeah for now it's definitely… let says taking a lot of inspiration from eva.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

It does. A whole lot of mechs anime are trying to be eva. I mean it can still change quite a bit, it's just one episode, but yeah for now it's definitely… let says taking a lot of inspiration from eva.

Before Eva went down the rabbit hole mid-series there was very little that hadn't been seen in previous mecha shows. There was nothing in the first episode of Captain Earth that was particularly Evangelion so saying that it is inspired by it specifically is a stretch.

The best way to describe the first episode is "all over the place". Too many plot threads, weird personality swings for the mc, a ton of technobabble. Because of people involved (Enokido in particular) I'm hopeful that the camp elements (pilots being called "captains", stuff being inserted in other suff etc.) will have more to them than mere wink-wink-how-funny-we-are humour.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote
So uh what was that girl in the pink robot doing during that whole transformation sequence?

She could have done what she needed to do on earth, got her nails done, drink a cup of coffee, beat a 48 hour rpg and STILL made it before it was done lol.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
A whole lot of mechs anime are trying to be eva.

I can just as easily claim that Eva was trying to be like MSG and Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked. Your point?
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
meiam wrote:
A whole lot of mechs anime are trying to be eva.

I can just as easily claim that Eva was trying to be like MSG and Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked. Your point?

My point is that out of the near infinite number of possibility they decided to go with event that closely emulate eva (which was greatly influenced by other mech vs unknown force show, but they still chooses stuff that was very eva centric).

The main reason I said eva over any others is because they decided to devote a good portion of the first episode (the first episode is the most important episode of the entire show, they have 20 minute to grab the viewer attention, if something is in the first epi you know it's important) to the character father and they had the incredibly awkward conversation existing solely for the sake of telling the viewer there's a conspiracy, secret organization involved. (who talk like that amongst each others? "We, the member of NATO, are very worried about the situation in Ukraine")
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
So uh what was that girl in the pink robot doing during that whole transformation sequence?

She could have done what she needed to do on earth, got her nails done, drink a cup of coffee, beat a 48 hour rpg and STILL made it before it was done lol.

she was getting there. Daichi will get there faster. we dont know the orbit of that space station, so lets assume it's at the ISS's lowest orbiting altitude, which is 330 kilometers. an average rocket can reach low earth orbit in about 10 min.

When Moco destroyed those rockets and started moving again, she was 32,000 Kilometers away from, probably, earth and moving at 50 meters a second. assuming her trajectory will lead her to near the space station, she has to travel 31,670 kilometers. at 50m/s she'll get there in 176 hours.

However, considering she closed a gap of 360,000Km to 32,000Km in very little time, she will probably magical arrive shortly after Daichi does

Last edited by getchman on Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote
getchman you really know your stuff Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ignatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
getchman, how much beer do I need to drink to understand what you wrote?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Ignatz wrote:
getchman, how much beer do I need to drink to understand what you wrote?

do your math skills increase the more you drink?
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
It was a pretty standard first ep of a mecha series (hero's past, terms and factions, then ending right before the battle) so I'll need more to decide but I'm already interested. The cover poster makes it look like mystery girl, mystery boy and hacker chick are all pilots too, though of their own robots or backups/teammates for this one I have no clue.

Speaking of robots, this show totally wins in one mandatory requirement for a mecha show- Hot damn that thing looks cool. The enemy mech looks ok too but I really like the look of our glinting alabaster hero. I also appreciate the technical transformation scene. I have the feeling it's been a while since I saw a good one like that. I hope it doesn't become stock footage though.

So cheers to more episodes. Let's see where this thing goes and what the flying hell is going on.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Whoa... that spoiler[guy from Salty Dog was a too touchy feely with Hana.]
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Never underestimate the power of a spoiler[boomerang]

This episode help set up the rest of the series in terms of explanations while still leaving us wanting more. I like what Daichi did in this episode. The whole spoiler[defiance thing by shooting the tower was pretty awesome]

I'm liking Hana too, she reminds me of a mix of Eureka from Eureka Seven, and Mishima from RahXephon.

Do the Kil-T Gang share information by spoiler[kissing? Moko seemed to enjoy it a bit too much...]

Also I totally believe that the spoiler[little girl from the first episode is the Livlaster. It looks like she transforms into it in the opening.]

Great episode! Too bad I have to wait another week for more...BONES always makes good Mecha stuff!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
These folks aren't devoid of creativity. Do they really need the spoiler[Yes, my name is Mr. Iously Evil, representative of the OSPLO (Organization for Scheming in Poorly-Lit Offices). I'm going to put this torture device on your head] stuff?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10