• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Captain Earth (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
Never, and I say ever underestimate the power of a spoiler[Magical Girl. Akari is a good proof of that from the latest episode.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Akari just spoiler[Fucked them over in the most awesome possible way there!! It's a pretty risky gambit, but I think it's cool that she attempted it.]

Finally caught up on this show, and can post about it. I'm really liking this one so far: it's that kind of off-beat but serious mecha show that I'm often down with. And I really like that the mecha are hand drawn in this one; It's a visual feast Very Happy

This episode, I liked the touch of the idol's ridiculous song and music video playing on loop; the repetition somehow beautifully brought out its ridiculousness. I also liked the moroseness of the successful Idol, a commentary on how people can be bullshit about stuff like that, how arbitrary it often is whether people feel successful or whatever.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't know if i could call this show "serious". It TRIES to be serious at times but usually just comes off horribly contrived. I'd pretty call it a fun mecha show and nothing more. Because really there isn't any substance to be had here.

Daichi is still one of the most unrealistic characters I've ever seen. This kid gets into gunfights, mech battles and other shenanigans but his resolve or attitude never changes. It's quite absurd. This is pretty much why the only characters I've found myself to like are Akari and Teppei because they are the only ones who feel like they aren't just stereotypes of a character tropes. Akari especially shows off how spoiler[she handles serious deadly situations] and it was quite thrilling. Teppei shows that he has insecurities about his involvement in the team and his reaction towards his father is very natural.

Hana just seems to be used for fanservice and talking to a future telling squirrel that works when it wants too. The enemies are pretty much a joke and are the embodiment of Jessie and James. Each week they just continue to fail and fail in their missions. What's the point? I know with mech shows the enemy of the week format is pretty common but this show is being extremely mundane about it. Seriously the bad guys already know where the base of their opponents are and they seem to be able to easily find them in public without any issues. If they were competent they could easily take them out. And it baffles me how the command center continues to give all these serious missions to a bunch of kids. It's like they don't care about their safety one bit or the success of the mission at all.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:51 am Reply with quote
What baffle me is that next week the bad guys will be walking around freely, despite Globe knowing exactly what they look like and where they are. They could just surround the building that had a giant mech shooting laser on. Heck they don't even need to give the order, it's kinda hard to miss that so the regular cop should already have it surrounded and the military should already be called.

I'm starting to think the demographic there aiming for with this show is the 8-13 and I'm seriously over thinking it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
One thing I find somewhat irritating is that on a weekly basis now, a new character is introduced but not even half way, they get the telepathic kiss and we don't find out more about their present character.

As for the latest episode, I thought that spoiler[Lin girl is pretty damn cool before she got the kiss similar to the others so far. Otherwise, Teppi did well in his new mecha. I also saw some flags go up for Daichi..]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

It is a good thing they were able to have a spoiler[mecha for Teppei with some different functions and was coloured blue to show that the he is after the red member of the team]. As we all know colour is very important when protecting the Earth.

And getting kind of sick of seeing spoiler[cool characters turned evil], but at least it looks like Lin spoiler[might have a change of heart]. And we also spoiler[have another Hana], which reminds me that the romantic moment between Hana and Daichi was nice.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
I'm loving how every episode seems to have Daichi move up a bit on the Badass scale.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:16 am Reply with quote
Hum I was about to drop this series (it seems like coincidence is driving the plot at this point and no matter how awesome Akari is she can't carry the show all by herself) but then spoiler[the assistant] turn out to be interesting so I guess I'll watch it some more to see where that goes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Boom, spoiler[head shot]. Well it is slightly easier when spoiler[that woman was kissing the young girl just beforehand]. Although she was really reminding of someone and I can't quite put my finger on who.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:37 am Reply with quote
Does Orochimaru ring a bell?

Her motivations are quite literally almost the same lol Laughing
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
This show is kind of hard for me to figure out. I feel like I want to like it and there are some pretty cool aspects to it such as the well-done action sequences and the lovely aesthetics, but I think the plot (or lack thereof) is a major detriment.

I had previously only watched the first couple episodes during the preview guide, so I decided over the weekend to watch the rest of the available episodes and catch up.

On the one hand, the show is kind of fun, because I generally like each of the characters. Daichi is an anti-Shinji, which is basically an automatic win for me. He's likeable and hard working, and doesn't try to make you feel sorry for him with a bunch of emo stuff that you would very often see in a teenaged mecha lead.

Teppei and Hana are both intriguing characters. Teppei has that mysterious aspect to him that makes me want to find out more about why he is on the side of the good guys and how he was created, and for exactly what purpose. Same thing with Hana. She's also cute, and her little pokemon-type squirrel thing is a fun little mascot as well.

At first I thought Akari's "magical girl" shtick would get old fast, but I'm actually starting to like it. She has such a strong-willed personality and clearly has highly superior intelligence, so the magical girl thing ends up coming across as just a smart way of keeping people from completely figuring her out.

Although I love the characters, the action, and the aesthetics, the big problem with this show is that the plot kind of sucks. It is a monster of the week based plot, and the main two bad guys are Jesse and James, as someone already mentioned. The whole concept of the two factions spoiler[trying to save humanity (one by selecting special humans to save from armageddon, and the other by trying to prevent armageddon)] sounds kind of interesting in theory but it is executed in a highly confusing fashion. It's often hard to figure out spoiler[which person is working for the bad guys and which is trying to help the good guys, because they all seem to be working for the same people]. This type of plot is not impossible to do, as I've seen it executed much better in other shows (such as Daybreak Illusion), but here the writers hold too many cards close to their chest and the lack of info just serves to further confuse.

Also, one big thing that I don't understand is Daichi's livlaster. Is it a creature of some type? We saw early on that Daichi was having visions of some boy or girl in a school outfit (which is also shown in the OP) and it is heavily implied that the kid is actually his weapon. Why isn't this explored at all? It seems crazy for them not to explore this, since "people as weapons" is such a popular concept in anime these days.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I suppose Daichi is likeable but he isn't really a character either. He's not effected by his failures, duties or life threatening situations. The fact that he never seems to be shaken by anything make him almost as bland as Tatsuya from The irregular. I can understand your angst against characters like Shinji but Daichi isn't much of an improvement if you ask me since he's just a typical "always happy" boy.

Hana is just "boobs girl". I'll admit though I really like Teppei and Akari simply for the fact we've gotten to see the deeper aspects of their characters. Teppei has gotten the most development so far and strangely enough he acts the most human out of everyone in the cast. He has insecurities and worries about everyone. In my opinion he would make a better main protagonist than Daichi.

The problem with the story is they made things escalate to fast. These guys reaching the earth with their space machines means the end of the world right? Well why did they think it would be a good idea to have them attempt this so early? Because now we have a completely non threatening enemy that we know won't ever make it to earth because the show would end at that point. So they have to drag things out with this villain of the week format. Sadly all the tension has been sucked out because of this. And now the designer children are a complete joke if you also consider how incompetent they are during their operations.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Akari: spoiler[Why don't you kiss him already]?
Hana: Ok.

Well that was easy, can barely believe it actually happened. Teppei and Akari spoiler[questioning him about his first kiss] was also funny. Can the good guys have a proper victory for once instead of just stopping total destruction?
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:16 am Reply with quote
So Captain finally got his spoiler[ first kiss], pity he doesn't remember it...what i had really hoped for, though was do finally get some spoiler[m/m "awakening action" between Amara and "Bugbear",] oh well, maybe next time? Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:32 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
what i had really hoped for, though was do finally get some spoiler[m/m "awakening action" between Amara and "Bugbear",] oh well, maybe next time? Wink

Honestly, I wanted that too, we need some equality in here. Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10