• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Baby Steps (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
That was fun. I wasn't sure who I wanted to win that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

It was a good way to finish things in the exchange program. Alex spoiler[himself learned quite a bit in the match], and Eichiro spoiler[managed to win with getting better], although he really should have spoiler[stopped the match and Alex got too cocky and made a mistake.]

The sad part is that his American trip is over, but on the upside we get to see him with Natsu again.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 5:

That was nice to see spoiler[Eiichirou talking with Natsu again. It's obvious he has feelings for her so I think the series will explore more of that. Characterization has always been important in this series so Takuma was no exception either as we see more of his past this episode.]

Speaking of which, I thought it was nice to see him compete on the court again! That was refreshing. I can't wait to see some of the other characters compete this season as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was a great episode! One of, if not the best of the series. I've always loved how naturally this show handles Natsu and Eichiro's relationship without ridiculous drama, and it was great to see they haven't lost that touch, even with throwing a new wrinkle into the mix (well, not totally new, but previously extremely low key to the point of making it seem a non-issue). I cheered when Eichiro spoiler[straight out admitted he was jealous, instead of denying it as every other anime protagonist would have.]

Takuma was fantastic too. Even the flashbacks didn't feel like padding. And we got some great tennis action as usual. So much terrific stuff packed into one episode, without making it feel rushed or shoe-horned in.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 5:41 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 6:

Good episode this week. It showed spoiler[Aki and some of her skills in the women's division while we also get a bit of development with Eiirchiro since his return to Japan.]

I like how the episode builds up future events as well so hopefully the season will play out for the best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
What is it about this show that is so compelling to me?
I think the overall theme of a moderately gifted person (maybe the eyesight is way above average), with an analyzing/studious personality excelling at tennis might have something to do with it.

This show is my most anticipated every week.
From the previews, next week looks to be great!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if it's my most anticipated each week (certainly on Sunday), but I feel the same way. I've said before I love the realistic way they handle the growing relationship between the leads (and how they took their time before that even popped up at all) and next week looks like it's going to be a lot of fun on that score. Though I'm always afraid they'll choke and fall back on the same old tired anime tropes with them. I hope they continue to prove my worries groundless. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 9:

I'm somewhat surprised at just how much Marou improved himself over these past few weeks and especially from his training in America. This week's match against Natsu clearly shows it especially in some of his serves. Not bad. He needs to keep it up!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I still can't believe he didn't get any training on handling southpaws, since they know Araya's in the tournament and likely to face Marou. That's a pretty big "oops, I forgot."

But Natsu says he'll be ok, so he'll be ok. Wink
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
lets beat Araya. Make him Mr. 2nd place. Keep getting 2 place is actually worst feeling than losing in the first or 2nd round.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
It is at this point that you look at how far he has come, and that he finally feels like he is playing like he always should have. Really analysing his opponent's style and kind of quicker knowing how to predict and disrupt them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13

I have been thinking it since the beginning of the entire series, and is a little odd to bring it up now, but what the hell is wrong with that one kid's fashion? The kid who keeps calling him "aniki", I though I would let it slide the first ugly shirt he wears, but just watch this episode and I had a really hard time paying attention over the crimes against fashion. It goes beyond bad taste in clothes, it has to be single handily the worse look which actually changes between days, of any anime character I can currently think of. Some character might be some ugly blob monster, but this kid chooses to wear sickening arrays of purples and lime greens, that would give people nightmares, and I am not even that interested in looking fashionable.

Okay, I think I got it out of my system.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 13:

That slow in terms of pacing. However, I just love Aki as a character so I'm fine with it. She has a personality similar to spoiler[Megumi from Food Wars] imo this season. However, she is very talented.

Anyways, nice buildup. Expecting some big matches to come soon and hopefully make impressions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Ei-chan-san? Does she think his name is Eichan? Speaking of that, it's interesting that Nat-chan is still calling him Ei-chan instead of Ei-kun, even though he's all manly and buff 'n' stuff now. Wink

It's kind of hilarious to watch him unwittingly acquiring a harem (i.e., every female character in the series except moms), especially since he only has eyes for Nat-chan. But they're still being brief and low-key about it, so I trust the writers to keep handling it as well as they have been. Looks like there might be some progress on that front next week.

They're not taking a break are they? That whole episode had the feel of winding down for the end of the season to it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 14:

I just love the natural flow of this show. No big moment, no "we'll do it when we win the tournament!" thing, just aspoiler[ wonderfully earnest and simple spontaneous confession, and there you go... they're "dating"...] not that the awkwardness will cease... there will be no giant strides made in this relationship, I'm starting to think that "baby steps" refers more to their relationship than Maruo's meteoric tennis advancement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5