• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ping Pong (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Great episode again and it's nice to see all the spoiler[guys training so hard especially Peco with his grandma. The training movements had a solid flow and the OST was consistent during some of the practice matches. China also had a robot arm motif that showed a testament of his strength. As Koizumi, it was interesting to see bits of his past. Ah, the 'butterfly joe' has a nice rythym to it.]

Looking forward to the next episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

spoiler["Welcome back, hero."]

The match spoiler[between Peco and Wenge] was awesome, those few minutes moved me more than most other sports anime matches that last several episodes...i hope spoiler[Wenge will stay in Japan, perhaps as a coach, he seems to be good at it] and i'm pretty fond of his character. So i guess it's spoiler[Peco vs. Kazama] next? That should be interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:
Absolutely amazing from the pacing, to the matches, to the dialogues, symbolisms, and characters. The spoiler[OST was great just like how I remembered during China vs. Peco's first match. Their rematch sure was different and I'm even surprised that China was eliminated. Oh well, it just shows how much Peco has changed since his first debut. I predict he might even be on par with Kazuma now. Speaking of which, I hope the next few matches will just be as intense as the one shown from this episode.]

Bravo Ping Pong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:43 am Reply with quote
Sometimes it's bad decision to have so many well written characters, since at this point I don't know for who to cheer for.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote
China has become a real likeable guy, spoiler[I was sad that he lost. But I suppose that was the point the show was trying to make, that likeability and talent are separate attributes and just because you have one doesn't mean you'll have the other.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
China has talent. Just not as much as Peco. And I've come to appreciate him too (China, that is).

I really like how this show has developed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
China has talent. Just not as much as Peco.

Well, obviously talent is relative.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
So what are your guys prediction for the final match? Will it be spoiler[Smile vs Peco or Smile vs Dragon? I think it will be Dragon in the finals. They have been building up that match for awhile now, but then again Peco is the hero so idk.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think we've had a hint with Smile's coach's career. My guess is that spoiler[Smile will face Peco who will be hampered by his injured knee. Smile will have to decide whether to take advantage of his friend's injury or throw the match as his coach did all those years ago].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
I think we've had a hint with Smile's coach's career. My guess is that spoiler[Smile will face Peco who will be hampered by his injured knee. Smile will have to decide whether to take advantage of his friend's injury or throw the match as his coach did all those years ago].

Oh I forgot about that. Yeah on second thought this is probably the most likely route. If it is I hope spoiler[Smile doesn't lose on purpose AGAIN.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Such a scenario raises interesting questions. I think the series has suggested so far that Smile is the better player, although Peco is more unpredictable. I also think they both know it. Which means that, regardless of the outcome of their match-up, they would know who was still the better player. Given that, being friends, they could accept the outcome, whatever it is.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote
The way i see it, it might depend on what Smile wants to do in the end. I guess it's pretty clear what Peco wants. He loves to play and to win and had always planned to go pro. After overcoming his temporary slump, i'm sure his goals are set again.

As for Smile, why does he play ping pong? Does he enjoy himself? Or is it simply because he's good at it? Or to please the coach? Or because Peco loves it and he always wanted to be like him?

It sure didn't improve his social life very much: the other players consider him a "robot", he's become even more isolated within his team and estranged from his best friend. So which path does he really want to take?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
When put in those terms, Merida, Smile's wholehearted embrace of ping pong could be seen as a journey from isolation to community. A very Japanese theme, that.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Another strong episode, this show continues to make an impression on me. What I expect is that Pspoiler[eco will do pretty well in this tournament in the upcoming match but will likely fall out. Of course, I could b wrong and there might even be a match between Peco vs. Smile. That would of awesome just like Peco's speech this episode.]

Oh and the spoiler[Ping Pong match this episode was great too. The anticipation for next week is high!]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Smile is a beast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5