• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Paprika

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Apparently the film got a five-minute standing ovation at Venice, so hopefully most people will appreciate it more than that guy from TimeOut.

And, despite all that including....
Anime News Service wrote:
9-5-06 (1:00AM EDT)---- Kon VS Afflek
Goo Movie pointed out something interesting regarding the attendance numbers of Paprika at Venice. American actor Ben Afflek's latest film Hollywood Land screened in the same theater on August 31st. Despite the star himself being in attendance, tickets were sold only filling 700 seats. Satoshi Kon's screening on the 2nd drew 1060 people filling it to overcapacity. Tickets sold in out in less than an hour. As an aside Hochi Shimbun has more on the director's 5 minute standing ovation. Ringing applause, bravos and shouts of joy filled the theater for 5 minutes or more. During this time Satoshi Kon says he recalled faces of his staff, many sitting in front of a computer in a dark room for 2 years during the production. He said he was there as his staff's representative. Feeling excited and rattled he said he also wish his staff could hear the applause for 2 years time.

...here was the final response from Venice.
Anime News Service wrote:
9-7-06 (6:45PM EDT)---- Paprika Gets "So-So" Reaction In Venice
According to the Asahi Shimbun Satoshi Kon's Paprika has received a "so-so" overall international response and review at the 63rd Venice International Film Festival.

But, we'll find out what the American reviewers think when it screens on Oct 7th at the NY Film Festival.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
was this actually in the theater? or was it a direct-to-dvd release.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:03 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
was this actually in the theater? or was it a direct-to-dvd release.

It's doing a festival run right now.

ANN wrote:
Satoshi Kon's Paprika at New York Film Festival (2006-09-20 09:58:13)
The New York Film Festival will be showing Satoshi Kon's newest movie, Paprika on October 7th. Paprika premiered at the Venice International Film Festival earlier this month and is scheduled to compete in the Tokyo International Film Festival next month. The Japanese theatrical release is scheduled for January, followed by the North American theatrical release in March. Thanks Igraine.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
There are some high-res screenshots over at Catsuka.com (how does he get this stuff??), and they're making me more excited than ever.

Thanks for the terrific review! As a hardcore Kon fan and lover of all that is weird, I can hardly wait. This looks spectacular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
However, I do agree that when reading a critic's views, it certainly does help to have a track record of that person's taste so you can see if your own seems to match. So in the spirit of helping those people, I have made my MyAnime list public.

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/index.php?user=jsevakis&categ=3

Wow, I've seen you post here before... I had no idea you were founder of ANN. Anyway, I just have one question about your ratings there...

Quote:
Night Shift Nurses (OAV)........Masterpiece
Night Shift Nurses: RN's Revenge (OAV)........Masterpiece

I'm not really trying to question the validity of your reviews or anything, I just want to know why they're rated so high. It just seems wierd having them rated two levels above Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke... or is it a joke?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
There are some high-res screenshots over at Catsuka.com (how does he get this stuff??), and they're making me more excited than ever.

Well, my French isn't what it used to be so I used World Lingo. Wink

Those were probably promotional pics suppled by Sony probably because Kon's other work, Millenium Actress, is getting exposure in October at an event that Catsuka.com is involved with and also apparently Paprika is beng released in France on December 6th via Rezo Films. But other sites post a theatrical release date of December 4th. The Japanese theatrical release is in January, 2007.

Makes you wonder if Kon's fanbase is bigger in France than Japan.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
However, I do agree that when reading a critic's views, it certainly does help to have a track record of that person's taste so you can see if your own seems to match. So in the spirit of helping those people, I have made my MyAnime list public.

animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/index.php?user=jsevakis&categ=3

Wow, I've seen you post here before... I had no idea you were founder of ANN. Anyway, I just have one question about your ratings there...

Quote:

I'm not really trying to question the validity of your reviews or anything, I just want to know why they're rated so high. It just seems wierd having them rated two levels above Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke... or is it a joke?

He probably rates hentai on very different criteria than regular anime. I'm sure if he was rating them as "anime" rather than "hentai" they would be rated much lower.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Quote:

Hahaha!! I knew I'd get called on this one. Yes, that was supposed to be irony, although I have to admit, we had more laughs about this show while I was at CPM than perhaps anything else. It's also a great tool to make more senstive friends flee the room.

In retrospect, I probably should've rated Mononoke higher than I did, but I can't change it now.

hitokirishadow wrote:

He probably rates hentai on very different criteria than regular anime. I'm sure if he was rating them as "anime" rather than "hentai" they would be rated much lower.

No, I ranked the hentai pretty much the same, and since I am way not a rape fan, you won't find much that I like on that list.

Last edited by jsevakis on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Thanks for the terrific review! As a hardcore Kon fan and lover of all that is weird, I can hardly wait. This looks spectacular.

Regardless of where he gets them, thanks for posting those high quality pics here. I have been pumped about this movie for quite a while now(can you tell?), and those are by far the best stills I have seen yet. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
I haven't had a chance to see Kon's other stuff yet (I know, I know), but I've seen Paranoia Agent and I ADORE it. This movie sounds like it has the same satisfying art and interesting questions of the other one....I haven't heard of this movie before, but I'm DEFINATELY looking forward to it now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Malintex Terek wrote:

In the past, I have criticized tempest about how silly he was in "hand-picking" reviewers instead of permitting fan-reviews, which are much more "reliable" en masse since the general trends of taste becme more easily recognized, where those reviewers he selects have a great deal of "experience" (however ANN defines 'experience').

There are countless sites out there that will give you this exact experience. We do not.

And despite some often very sincere attempts by the sites themselves, the vast majority of the reviews really, really suck. I find nothing more reliable than a hand picked group of people whose opinions I can rely on, either to agree with or disagree with. Fanboy superlatives or not, it just doesn't matter, as long as I can count on consistency. And I couldn't care less about general trends of taste so much as tastes that, once again, match my own. Which brings us all (I think) back into agreement that the only way to get meaning out of a review is to read a bunch of reviews by a particular reviewer, and see if you agree with them or not.

Then again, in this case, I don't really care what the reviewers say, I'll end up investing my hour and a half or so (which is probably a more difficult to come by for me than whatever the dvd's going to cost) to watch this regardless. Based on consistently liking Kon's stuff.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
How could anyone be confused with the story for Perfect Blue? I guess it's because they were so used to anime without a story like Evangelion or Lain. Rolling Eyes
I was confused when I was watching Perfect Blue. Not "what the hell is going on!?" confused, but still confused on which sequence is which, since separate implications will grow. Paranoia Agent was much easier to grasp as a whole, if not totally see through all the layers it wondrously carry.

And good job on bashing Evangelion. Considering it's probably the most-bashed title ever released in the United States, except may be (though unlikely) Naruto, that's really not needed.
GATSU wrote:
I just hope it makes up for Tokyo Godfathers.
That was one wonderful film. It might be an exception for someone who knows the name of Satoshi Kon, but entertainment is not meant to be enjoyed because the creator is named William Shakespeare or some other famous person with a certain style.

And Tokyo Godfathers certainly stood out to be as wonderful while I watched it. Its family film tone that contrasts bravely with serious troubles in the actual plot produce an interesting effect, especially for one not familiar with anime as I was.

Anyway, looking forward to Paprika with great anticipation here.

Typo edit
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
This guy's review is no different than any of the other reviews on this same site. It may be a pretty fanboy-ish review bent on promoting the hell out of the title, but I don't see any reason to single him out for expressing his opinion in an exaggerated manner, I happen to like reviews like that, ones which show the reviewer was very impressed by the film, became excited about it and whatnot. It shows that this film has the power to impress its viewers and that's enough for me to go by.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:25 pm Reply with quote
After seeing the reviewer's My Anime list, I can now see that this isn't "an overzealous fanboy" (given by the small fraction of Masterpieces). Still, I can't say I'm in agreeance with the character designs so far, but I can now imagine the story being superb. I look forward to the movie.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
This sort of movie isn't usually my cup of tea but the reviewer seems so enthusiatic about his enjoyment of the movie, it does make me want to see it. It's been a while since I've seen Perfect Blue, I remember being somewhat confused (which was probably the whole point) but most of it did become clear in the end.

I also enjoy the talents of Megumi Hayashibara so I have put this movie on my "Want to See" list.

Quite frankly, I'm willing to trust the word of a guy who's seen over 500+ anime series and movies...even though some of his "masterpieces" may be questionable. Wink Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5