• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Paprika

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

He provided some context, but not enough to give me an idea about how good this movie is; I'm still an outsider, since names like "Perfect Blue" or "Millennium Actress" mean nothing to me. In contrast, mentioning a famous Kon title like Paranoia Agent would have been very helpful in determining the direction of this film.

My idea of the prefect anime-reviewer, or someone as close to "impartiality" without actively trying, is someone who has seen between twelve to twenty titles with at least one of each title from a different genre. In this, the mythical reviewer has gone past the "imprint" stage of first seeing something from anime while avoiding the "educated opinion" bias common in seasoned anime fans.

In the past, I have criticized tempest about how silly he was in "hand-picking" reviewers instead of permitting fan-reviews, which are much more "reliable" en masse since the general trends of taste becme more easily recognized, where those reviewers he selects have a great deal of "experience" (however ANN defines 'experience'). Ergo, while the reviews themselves might be an entertaining read, they are not providing a service to the readers at all, where this service is to educate people about whether or not a series/movie is worth spending my money on.

In this instance, such a record was not provided for Mr.Sevakis, but instances of reviewers giving "full marks" to a show are all to common nowadays by the aformentioned "overzealous fanboys" and I've become dull to the alleged "shock" of seeing such a rating. As such, I'm skeptical as to the film's true merits, but I'll bestow onto him the benefit of the doubt since he's affirmed his review is sincere.
So, because you've never seen Perfect Blue or Millienium Actress that automatically means that there being mentioned in this review means nothing to you? Please let me know when the world suddenly revolved around your insignificant existence in the great circle of life because I'm lost here. Well, maybe, just maybe mind you, you should go and actually WATCH Perfect Blue or Millienium Actress if you've never seen them? And maybe, just maybe, Paranoia Agent wasn't mentioned in this review because Paprika wasn't LIKE Paranoia Agent? And what if the review had mentioned Paranoia Agent instead? What if there was somebody who read this review who had never seen Paranoia Agent? For example, I have never seen Paranoia Agent before in my life, but I have seen Perfect Blue, so if the review had mentioned Paranoia Agent instead I would be in the same position as you. So, regardless of which title he mentions in the review, there's always going to be someone who hasn't seen it regardless of popularity, so this is kind of pointless to debate.

And really, who cares if the review is biased or not? It's a REVIEW. All reviews are biased because guess what? Reviews are OPINIONS. According to dictionary.com, the word opinion means, "a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty." The word bias means, "a particular tendency or inclination". The word bias and opinion mean practically the same thing. Considering that reviews are made entirely out of opinions which means the same thing as bias, to say a review is unhelpful because it is bias is ridicilous when reviews are made of opinions. Your obvious hatred of ANN reviews is based on your OPINION of what you think of ANN's reviews. Since it is your opinion that means your post is biased, so does that mean your criticism towards ANN's reviews is useless because they're based on your opinions in which all opinions are biased? And this film hasn't even been released in the U.S. yet but you're already bashing this review for something you haven't even seen? Maybe you should actually wait to see Paprika before you bash a review of a film you haven't even seen yet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:10 am Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
So anyone got any theories on how fast this shit will be ported into a more purchaseable format?

Given Sony Pictures' usual theatrical-to-DVD lead time, I'd guess somewhere in mid- to late-summer '07 with Pay-per-view VOD late in '07, and premium channels in '08. DRM downloads are anybody's guess at the moment.
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:10 am Reply with quote
does the premise of this movie make ANYONE remember the Jenniffer movie "The Cell"??? scientist entering people's unconsiuness through their dreams? I cant wait to see it eather....
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote
kamui85 wrote:
does the premise of this movie make ANYONE remember the Jenniffer movie "The Cell"??? scientist entering people's unconsiuness through their dreams? I can't wait to see it eather....

sorry, I meant Jenniffer Lopez....
kizoku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I missed something here, how did Ghost in the Shell get into this discussion? Same company, same illustrators, just used to compare? Not criticising, just missed something. Thanks.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I love how certain people in this thread act like they paid this guy to give us his opinion. Give it a rest. Don't like his review? Tough. Go watch the movie and write your own.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:13 am Reply with quote
kamui: The book Paprika is based on was published before The Cell came out in theaters.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
You'll have to forgive me for being brief, but Justin's review pretty much sums up most of my thoughts on the film.

The Alice Tully screening was great; wonderful venue, great sound and a packed house.

No standing ovation. But very generous applause, at the film's end.

Justin's right. This movie, like most of Kon's movies, needs to be seen more than once. There's just SO MUCH happening on the screen. My eyes are darting all over the place to take in as much of the lush, vibrant visuals; I loved the parade(s). Of course, I have to make sure I don't miss the subtitles, while I'm doing this.

I followed the story pretty well. I wasn't bothered at all by the transitions from real world to dream world and back again. I mean, as a fan of Kon's works, that's pretty much what I expected. Also, as a film centered around entering people's dreams, I can't see it being anything *but* chaotic.

I cannot WAIT to own this on DVD. Hopefully, there will be a limited edition planned for the Japanese release. I absolutely must own the storyboard book to this movie. I won't be satisfied, until I do.

Oh, and no grade. I can't. Too soon. I'm still trying to absorb the film. And as a fan of Satoshi Kon, I don't want my excitement to get the better of me.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Bob Loblaw wrote:
The Alice Tully screening was great; wonderful venue, great sound and a packed house.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was also at that screening, and I'm happy to say that I not only enjoyed it just as much, but was actually able to make better sense of it. You're right, there's just so much going on, it's impossible NOT to miss something.

One additional note. This time, during the chirpy OP sequence, I was not able to hold back from having full-out anime-style rivers down my face. Amusingly enough, I've read no less than two other reviews admitting the same thing. It's just such a happy overload...

I've NEVER heard of so many people crying during the BEGINNING of a movie before. Crying BEFORE they've had any chance to get to know the characters, or even know anything about the film. While I'm sure Satoshi Kon had a lot to do with that, I think a lot of the credit for that one goes to Susumu Hirasawa. That chirpy Paprika's Theme will be stuck in my head (happily) for weeks.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
It's just such a happy overload...

Well, I wasn't moved to tears, but I did have a stupid grin on my face. The OP was great. Paprika's transition from place to place was well thought out and brilliantly executed; I loved the part where she "jumped" into the guy's t-shirt and also when she skipped past the security guard. And the staff credits being "projected" onto surfaces---like walls, streets and moving trucks---was well done too.

As for Susumu Hirasawa's 'Paprika' theme, I don't know how I feel about it yet. I loved the soundtrack to Millennium Actress. Some of the music in Paprika, naturally, reminded me of Millennium Actress. *shrug* It's the same guy.

To be honest, I was too absorbed in the visuals to really pay real attention to the music; I heard it, but i didn't really listen to it. Except for that one eerie sounding piece that placed during key moments of the movie. I think it was used in one of the many trailers promoting the film.

Once I see the film a second time, I'll focus on a lot of the things I skipped over or didn't give close attention to the first time around. Similar to what you did.
alleben

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Reviewers are people who (hopefully) can analyze and like to share their opinions about the subject at hand. Reviewers are also a tool to be used by us; the unwashed masses. The trick is to find a reviewer who comes close to sharing most of one's own opinions. This is particularly important when one is not familiar with the people who made it, their other works, or the genre. That way one can diminish disappointing viewing experiences, and efficiently manage one's movie and video budget.

I actually managed to catch Paprika at the Alice Tully Hall showing. It was quite a brainful and I will have to see it again at least once more before I can fully digest the movie. I left the theatre convinced that it is Kon's best to date.
Rakushun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
Hey folks, looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

I got to see a screening of Paprika at the Hawaii International Film Festival just this Wednesday. The show was sold out with a good mix of otaku and casual festivalgoers. There was plenty of applause from both groups by the end of the movie.

I generally agree with Justin's review. It draws a lot of the strengths from his previous works. Some of the scenes also reminded me of Pom Poko, particularly the parade scenes.

Paprika just sucked me in from the circus scene and had me grinning until the end. I recently enjoyed swallowing another dreamwalking movie, The Science Of Sleep, but the weak characters and narrative eventually made it crumble. Despite all of its mayhem, Paprika held itself together from beginning to end.

My only gripe was that the music was played so loud at the screening that it was distracting at times. I hope they follow through with a wider theatrical release so I can enjoy the full audio-visual dreamstate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:33 am Reply with quote
It got bumped to a 7.3 at IMDB.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
I feel sorry for Paprika. It can't seem to win any awards. Maybe it'll get an Oscar, though. Cool
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it'd be AWESOME if we could have *two* great anime directors recieve an Oscar. That would make people take notice, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5