• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-29]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
@ rant: I don't see what the big deal is with not translating the name of the weapon... its not you need to know what "Zanpakutou" means in order to understand the concept of what that weapon does, and its not like it sounds weird mixed in with English like some Japanese words do. Besides, its not rare for us to keep the original names for foreign weapons, especially not when it comes to old weapons like swords. (Katana, Shamshir, etc) Besides, how dumb would it sound to have Sango scream "BOOMERANG BONE!" every time she throws her weapon? I'll take the original name over that, thanks.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Initial D wasn't so lucky...it became more americainized than some 4Kids dubs. Though they clearly wern't aiming it at kids (the language and rating is proof of that), they also missed many of their teen target demo with some horrible alterations/cliches in the dub (as well as the level of acceptance given to anime back then) the only people who bought it were sub-only/sub prefering viewers..

The assumed story was that TOKYOPOP was trying to aim for the "Tuner" crowd and trying to ride on the coat tails of The Fast and the Furious.

However, the idea backfired, because TOKYOPOP didn't do their research, made numerous technical errors and glitches, and they tried too hard to "inject" street slang and pretty much insult any tuner worth his salt. I don't have enough fingers to count the numerous technical glitches they did, even as minor as stock weights of the cars.

TOKYOPOP just basiclly insulted an existing fanbase AND insulted their target audiance.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
Initial D wasn't so lucky...it became more americainized than some 4Kids dubs. Though they clearly wern't aiming it at kids (the language and rating is proof of that), they also missed many of their teen target demo with some horrible alterations/cliches in the dub (as well as the level of acceptance given to anime back then) the only people who bought it were sub-only/sub prefering viewers..

The assumed story was that TOKYOPOP was trying to aim for the "Tuner" crowd and trying to ride on the coat tails of The Fast and the Furious.

However, the idea backfired, because TOKYOPOP didn't do their research, made numerous technical errors and glitches, and they tried too hard to "inject" street slang and pretty much insult any tuner worth his salt. I don't have enough fingers to count the numerous technical glitches they did, even as minor as stock weights of the cars.

TOKYOPOP just basiclly insulted an existing fanbase AND insulted their target audiance.

Laughing

I'm going to have put that on my netflix queue sometime.
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote
I agree with Zac on the flake of the week. I mean, since he has took the time to actually submit something to ANN, why can't he not look for categories or some information on here.

Hell, what am I talkin'? He could just surf the World Wide Web. On top of that, he should read the rules and the "Contact Us" section for Editors.

*Good advice for him, Answerman, good adivce. :-p*
Steroid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote
Re: the video game issue. Wow, Answerman decries an industry's anti-fan policy? There is hope!

Cowboy Cadenza wrote:
Zac, I love the way you respond to your Flakes of the Week. Very Happy

As for the rant: the complaints stated about the Bleach dub are all incredibly miniscule and affect the story in no way. Honorifics aren't used in English, so I don't see how they could put them in the dub. And to be honest, the fact that respect is important in Japan should have no bearing on the dub, since I highly doubt anyone in Japan is going to be watching it.

one3rd wrote:
I agree completely. I think this, in general, is perhaps my biggest problem with English dubs. They're not completely translated into English. By this, I mean they often don't convey natural (American) English speaking patterns. In English, honorifics aren't used, so they shouldn't be used in dubs.

And that right there is the core of my anti-dub stance. A dub should not allow you to forget that you are watching a Japanese show. The characters on the show remain Japanese (or Japan-inspired), so their attitudes should also remain the same. If using honorifics is the only way to get that, they should stay in. It would also be a little reminder that what you are watching is an adaptation, not an original production.

(Oh, and if we're calling out spelling, it's "minuscule," not "miniscule.")
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:03 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
But god, I 100% agree with the video game thing. Waaaay too many great games coming out at the same time. Lately, I have been away from the forum more often because I was playing Disgaea 2... but, this is just the start.

I decided to just put everything past, present, and future on hold for Disgaea 2, which works out for me monetarily, even though that means no Valkyrie Profile 2 and no Tales of the Abyss (I may make an exception for Final Fantasy III on the DS). Thankfully, Ar Tonelico and Rogue Galaxy got pushed back to next year, so I may be generally finished with Disgaea 2 by then. I still need to finish Steambot Chronicles and Suikoden V. I'm a horrible RPG gamer...

On TOKYOPOP dubs, the GTO one was pretty decent, and I'm not aware of any really big changes in it, but I haven't watched it subbed, since I'm already too big a fan of Blum's performance as Onizuka.
elsie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:17 am Reply with quote
Those of you who insist on honorifics in dubs, have you seen the Fake OVA? What was your opinion on how that was handled? The reason I ask: the story is set in New York among native New York cops, but the original and the dub have JJ referring to Dee as Dee-sempai since they were at the police academy together. No New York cop would ever refer to another cop as sempai, so should that honorific have been in the original Japanese version of the story or retained for the English version?
elsie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:20 am Reply with quote
Somehow there was a double post. Sorry about that.
Cowboy Cadenza

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Oh, and if we're calling out spelling, it's "minuscule," not "miniscule.")

You'll actually find both entries in the dictionary.

I feel that a dub doesn't need to fuse the English language with foreign customs to make it acceptable. You sound pretty convinced your opinion is right, though, so that's all I'm going to say about this.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote
You know...there's a very simple way to resolve issues anyone may have about a dub - DON'T LISTEN TO IT AND WATCH SUBTITLES INSTEAD.

Yeesh. I rarely, rarely listen to the dub unless it's been recommended as an exceptional (or horrific) attempt. To me, it's kind of like looking at a copy of a copy of a copy - someone's interpretation of someone's else's interpretation of someone else's character. (Not saying all voice actors/directors attempt to match the original dub track, btw).

My bias to subtitles is probably caused by watching fansubs. By the time a series is licensed and comes out over here on tv/dvd, I've already become quite familiar and comfortable with characters and their voices and it's extremely jarring to make the adjustment. I kind of have to reinterpret the show, which is not usually a good thing if I liked it well enough to buy it for its original qualities.

Anyways, er hem:

If you do not like a dub, don't listen to it. Stop complaining. I sincerely hope you're all literate and it isn't the difficulty of reading subtitles that's causing rejection of a Japanese track. Ok, so reading requires you to focus on what you're watching, there can be problems in translation, but if you're going to go all fussy over anime, at the very least have commitment to pay attention to it.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
You know...there's a very simple way to resolve issues anyone may have about a dub - DON'T LISTEN TO IT AND WATCH SUBTITLES INSTEAD.

Yeesh. I rarely, rarely listen to the dub unless it's been recommended as an exceptional (or horrific) attempt. To me, it's kind of like looking at a copy of a copy of a copy - someone's interpretation of someone's else's interpretation of someone else's character. (Not saying all voice actors/directors attempt to match the original dub track, btw).

My bias to subtitles is probably caused by watching fansubs. By the time a series is licensed and comes out over here on tv/dvd, I've already become quite familiar and comfortable with characters and their voices and it's extremely jarring to make the adjustment. I kind of have to reinterpret the show, which is not usually a good thing if I liked it well enough to buy it for its original qualities.

Anyways, er hem:

If you do not like a dub, don't listen to it. Stop complaining. I sincerely hope you're all literate and it isn't the difficulty of reading subtitles that's causing rejection of a Japanese track. Ok, so reading requires you to focus on what you're watching, there can be problems in translation, but if you're going to go all fussy over anime, at the very least have commitment to pay attention to it.
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote
I have no idea how that ended up being a double post. Confused
animecrzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
It would apear my post was whiped off the face of the net Shocked

Zanpakuto doesn't have an english equivalant, just like Bankai. How can you translate a word from japanese to another language that doesn't have an equivalant word in that language? New devices created in anime , for the most part, are not changed durring translation.

Take Crusnik, a vampire that feeds off vampires, from Trinity Blood, or Coralian, a swell of trappar waves, from Eureka 7.
If they're is trying to make a theme with their translation, then chances are Kido arts would become Demon arts.
What confuses me is how all this could confuse fans. Fans know what such-and-such means, even if the words are changed in translation; from the effort Viz has put in the dub (that I've seen so far) I have little doubt that the translation will be true to the original script.

[AS] is part of public television, and most of its viewers don't understand Japanese Honorifics, and honorifics are part of the japanese language, so doesn't it make sense that their removed durring translation? Respect is very important in Japanese culture, sadly, American(usa) culture isn't as keen in respect as Japanese culture. So the meaning behind honorifics would be lost on many viewers of the show.

Last edited by animecrzy on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:27 am Reply with quote
DELETED.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
"I just know you would never see Tokyopop doing this"?

Apparently Cave has never watched Tokyopop's dubs of Initial D or Rave Master. >cringe<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7