• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-09-29]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru004 wrote:
I totally hated Ahiru being called Duck in PT.

I actually didn't mind them changing it to 'Duck'. With her name, the Japanese were trying to follow the tradition of animals in fairy tales being named their actual names. (I can attest to this, I have a huuuuge volume of fairy tales, and the animals are always "Mr. Mouse", "Miss Rabbit", etc.) To keep it as "Ahiru" actually takes it away and detracts from the original intent. Not to mention there's several jokes that just wouldn't work if her name WASN'T translated. Normally I don't like names being changed at all, but in this case it made perfect sense.

Cave wrote:
I don't see why fans can't complain about this stuff. Hell, Viz is just unnecessarially making changes that could have easily been the same and had more focus on other parts of the dub. I mean, there was absolutely no reason to change this stuff outside of "Americanization." (The name thing IS nothing more than Americanization. As far as I know, none of my friends call me by my last name ever.)

But is "Americanization" really a bad thing for a dub? I mean, painting over Japanese food they're eating and replacing it with a pizza, yes, that is bad. So is needless changes to the dialogue. But changing the use of names to better convey to an American audience the relationship seems fine to me. (If someone called me by my last name here, I'd probably think they were mad with me!) For subs and manga I prefer these not to be changed, though, since you can explain them--but for a dub, particularly one being shown on TV, if they have to change it to keep people watching from being confused, it's not a problem.

Quote:

The point of that one was because it followed a theme, had consistency, and would have made sense. I don't understand their reasoning, if any, behind changing shinigami to 'soul reaper' and yet leaving 'zanpakutou' the same. Anyone have any idea at all whatsoever?

I think it's because the original author requested that "soul reaper" would be used to translate shinigami. I've only heard this from other people on forums, though, so I can't point you to an original source for that. My guess is "shinigami" would've been used if he hadn't've requested for it to be changed.
Also, since the meaning of the sword doesn't *really* matter, it's better to keep it in Japanese, where the meaning of "Soul Sociaty" could matter (although I don't really like that translation--it kept confusing me), so I think that's why there's a difference there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:

The point of that one was because it followed a theme, had consistency, and would have made sense. I don't understand their reasoning, if any, behind changing shinigami to 'soul reaper' and yet leaving 'zanpakutou' the same. Anyone have any idea at all whatsoever?

It's been explained a million times before. Kubo, the creator of Bleach, wanted it to be Soul Reaper in the Englsih translation. They probably would have used shinigami if the creator hadn't wished otherwise. Soul Society has always been Soul Society so there was no reason to change that. Viz's manga translation has always used zanpakuto. I don't know where these inconsistancies you mention come from. I haven't seen Soul Slayer mentioned once in all the 14 volumes I've bought. I saw Ghost Cutter in the first volume but that was after zanpakuto was used in the same sentence.

Granted, the dub has added in some more Japanese terms, like changing binding spell back to kido.
Cave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
But is "Americanization" really a bad thing for a dub? I mean, painting over Japanese food they're eating and replacing it with a pizza, yes, that is bad. So is needless changes to the dialogue. But changing the use of names to better convey to an American audience the relationship seems fine to me. (If someone called me by my last name here, I'd probably think they were mad with me!) For subs and manga I prefer these not to be changed, though, since you can explain them--but for a dub, particularly one being shown on TV, if they have to change it to keep people watching from being confused, it's not a problem.

You bring up so good and interesting points, but there are still many problems with it. Many fans have issues, myself included, with any Americanizations in dubs. Fans who have been watching anime for years can understand the respectfulness and why last names are used. I guess for the Bleach anime, Viz's reasoning would be so that the 13 year old teenyboppers can watch it and have it dumbed down for them. Then this becomes once again Viz believing their audience is a bunch of uneducated morons. Kudos for Viz for thinking so highly of the American public.

They also did this in the Prince of Tennis and Hikaru no Go manga (I don't know about the Bleach manga; I've actually never read much of it) which you said they shouldn't do, so...

Royal Devil wrote:
It's been explained a million times before. Kubo, the creator of Bleach, wanted it to be Soul Reaper in the Englsih translation. They probably would have used shinigami if the creator hadn't wished otherwise. Soul Society has always been Soul Society so there was no reason to change that. Viz's manga translation has always used zanpakuto. I don't know where these inconsistancies you mention come from. I haven't seen Soul Slayer mentioned once in all the 14 volumes I've bought. I saw Ghost Cutter in the first volume but that was after zanpakuto was used in the same sentence.

Granted, the dub has added in some more Japanese terms, like changing binding spell back to kido.

I've never heard the explanation before, but even then it would still confuse me. I have every issue of Shonen Jump and they HAVE used 'shinigami' in reference to Bleach as latest as October's issue, page 6. They have the title as "A Shinigami is Born!" and in the description they say "shinigami (soul reaper)". Why not just consistently have it say 'soul reaper' and in parenthesis 'shinigami'? I don't know.

The soul slayer thing came from Lunar's fansubs. I mentioned it because it would be a theme that made sense to use 'soul' as the first word (obviously, it could have been 'soul slayer' or 'soul sword' 'soul cutter', etc etc). Why would they change 'binding spell' to 'kido'? It just seems more random then anything else.

Bleach definitely has a good dub. These are just some things that I have seen Viz do that irk me. A lot.

I mean the name thing, seriously, there is no point. D:
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:

I guess for the Bleach anime, Viz's reasoning would be so that the 13 year old teenyboppers can watch it and have it dumbed down for them. Then this becomes once again Viz believing their audience is a bunch of uneducated morons. Kudos for Viz for thinking so highly of the American public.

This kind of elitism - that they're "dumbing it down" for people who haven't been watching anime for years rather than "making it comprehensible and understandable", which is what they're doing, is a big reason people think a lot of anime fans are stuck up and impossible-to-please.

Bleach is entertainment - it's an action cartoon, and it's designed to just be enjoyed. The VAST majority of the audience for the Adult Swim airing of the series are casual anime fans or just people who are flipping channels rather than super-hardcore fans who have already seen it all anyway. Viz has a vested interest in making the show entertaining and understandable by the casual audience, who, you know, want to watch the show and have a good time, not sit through a Japanese culture lesson. The name changes are all completely understandable and NONE of them - not one - has any real impact on the story or anything at all like that. It's a basic cosmetic surface-level minor alteration designed to make the show more palatable for an American audience. Complaining about it and saying that the people who need such translations and changes to understand fully what's going on in the show are "stupid" or "dumb" is... well, it's arrogant, elitist and frankly shameful. You're no better than "some teenybopper" tuning in to an action cartoon just because you downloaded it years ago and saw it that way first.

Quote:

Yes, there is, you just believe that the way you personally would handle all the complex Japanese vocabulary in Bleach is "the right way" rather than simply "your opinion". You're convinced that because you're a fan of the show, somehow your interpretation of it is "right" and Viz's is "wrong".

Which is, again, arrogant and elitist. And I really wish people would drop this kind of attitude and accept that there isn't anything wrong with minor cosmetic changes like this designed specifically to make the show more palatable to a wide American audience.

I mean, it's like it's not enough that you have hundreds of thousands of new fans enjoying the show in a very subtly-localized version, bringing the series you love so much to a whole new audience, therefore creating wealth for the original creator and worldwide acclaim for the show, they have to be enjoying it your way. I don't get that.
Seca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Cave wrote:
I've never heard the explanation before, but even then it would still confuse me. I have every issue of Shonen Jump and they HAVE used 'shinigami' in reference to Bleach as latest as October's issue, page 6. They have the title as "A Shinigami is Born!" and in the description they say "shinigami (soul reaper)". Why not just consistently have it say 'soul reaper' and in parenthesis 'shinigami'? I don't know.

The soul slayer thing came from Lunar's fansubs. I mentioned it because it would be a theme that made sense to use 'soul' as the first word (obviously, it could have been 'soul slayer' or 'soul sword' 'soul cutter', etc etc). Why would they change 'binding spell' to 'kido'? It just seems more random then anything else.

Bleach definitely has a good dub. These are just some things that I have seen Viz do that irk me. A lot.

If you really need someone to blame for translation inconsistencies than you shouldn't forget the Japanese companies themselves. I have a lot of Bleach merchandise and except for some of the early merchandise that came out that translated 'shinigami' to just simply 'death', 'shinigami' has always been translated into 'soul reaper'. Zanpakuto on the other hand, I have never seen translated into anything English but it's harder to find examples of this since they normally don't use it on their merchandise in English. I do have a set of cards that are meant to help Japanese speakers learn English that takes lines from the early Bleach anime episodes and they leave zanpakuto as zanpakuto while translating 'shinigami' to 'soul reaper' every time the words pop up. So these 'random' translations existed well before Viz's Bleach dub and could very well be a result of Viz trying to keep closer to the Japanese presentation of the words in the English language.

And the 'name thing' is to help avoid confusion for the mainstream audience that may not even know that samurai is Japanese and not Chinese (something I've personally run across with people), let alone the importance of respect in Japanese culture.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac:

That is probably the best reply I have seen in a long time.

As someone who understands Japanese culture less than 50% of the people on this site, yet vastly understands that culture 150% more than the general [as] audience, I have to agree. All the changes are purely cosmetic, or at least very small. The story is mostly unaffected, and more people understand it as the outcome.

People who nit-pick at it are missing out and need to sit back and relax. Enjoy the show. It is a good show. It was done well. A few words aren't going to change that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Bleachtards? Hold on, I got to say that again: Bleachtards. No, I don't like it.

I humbly request that a new term be coined and suggest it has to do with the drinking of bleach. Maybe I am being harsh but honestly I have no opinion on Bleach, just the term, the term has got to go.

I replyed here to say that the guy who was complaining about Fantastic Four and some other shows quality is missing the worst animation offender still at large. The one animation fans have a right to be mad at: Family Guy.

Argh, why didn't they let that show DIE?!!!!

fawhooooosh!
redcomet15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
FlamingPinecone wrote:
Bleachtards? Hold on, I got to say that again: Bleachtards. No, I don't like it.

I humbly request that a new term be coined and suggest it has to do with the drinking of bleach. Maybe I am being harsh but honestly I have no opinion on Bleach, just the term, the term has got to go.

I agree--Bleachtards doesn't roll off the tongue very well. Personally, I've always been partial to the term Bleachers, but that's just me~
silver_omicron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
redcomet15 wrote:
FlamingPinecone wrote:

I agree--Bleachtards doesn't roll off the tongue very well. Personally, I've always been partial to the term Bleachers, but that's just me~

How about "People Who Have Been Acting Like They've Been Drinking Bleach"?
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
"Bleachtards" isn't designed to roll off the tongue, it's designed to mimic (perhaps half-seriously, half-mockingly) the term "Narutards". Changing it would dumb down its meaning somewhat.

The real derogatory name problem will arise if there are suddenly legions of Narutaru fans. I've been pondering this problem for a couple weeks and have yet to arrive to an acceptable solution.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
"Bleachtards" isn't designed to roll off the tongue, it's designed to mimic (perhaps half-seriously, half-mockingly) the term "Narutards". Changing it would dumb down its meaning somewhat.

The real derogatory name problem will arise if there are suddenly legions of Narutaru fans. I've been pondering this problem for a couple weeks and have yet to arrive to an acceptable solution.

I suppose B-tard would be effective but that's already being used.
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Bleach is entertainment - it's an action cartoon, and it's designed to just be enjoyed. The VAST majority of the audience for the Adult Swim airing of the series are casual anime fans or just people who are flipping channels rather than super-hardcore fans who have already seen it all anyway. Viz has a vested interest in making the show entertaining and understandable by the casual audience, who, you know, want to watch the show and have a good time, not sit through a Japanese culture lesson.

Would you kindly tell me where the line of demarcation is between entertainment shows and shows that are there to present a cultural lesson? Is there some way we can say, "Ok, this show you may make understandable, but this one you must keep all the complex symbolism and references, make it as difficult to understand as possible to anyone without a degree in Japanese culture"?

How about something like Air? That's a tragedy, loaded with symbolism and double-meanings. Can we keep that one pure, or do we have to change Sora's name to Sky-crow?

Is there no vested interest in making something palatable for those of us who find something entertaining only if we have to think about it? And is there no room for something that is not considered traditional fodder for thoughtful entertainment--comedy, action, fantasy--to nonetheless have some thought requirements added or kept?

In short, sir, is it right for primary concern always to be given to the lowest common denominator?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
In short, sir, is it right for primary concern always to be given to the lowest common denominator?

Ever heard of "wooden bucket theory"? You know, wooden buckets are made with long wooden plates surrounded with at least two girdles. The capacity of the final bucket is not determined by the longest plate, nor the average length of plates, but the shortest plate. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steroid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:00 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Steroid wrote:

Ever heard of "wooden bucket theory"? You know, wooden buckets are made with long wooden plates surrounded with at least two girdles. The capacity of the final bucket is not determined by the longest plate, nor the average length of plates, but the shortest plate. Wink

So use only long plates and you will have a deep bucket.
Sweet Lou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Soul Reaper appears on the Japanese DVDs of Bleach if any of you need reassurance. Just go search Bleach at http://www.cdjapan.co.jp and you can see for yourselves. It'd be nice if you all could get off your elitist high horses and stop thinking you know more about how anime should be translated than people who do this for a living. Because you watch copious amounts of fansubs or any other form of pirated anime does not make you a certified expert in the Japanese language.

That traditional Japanese name order and honorifics are necessary to convey character relationships and the inents of the creators is the biggest crock of bunk I've heard in a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7