• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon's April 27 Live-Streamed Event to Unveil New Anime Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I never expected them to maintain the cast because there are a lot of them who are retired or not active anymore. I just hoe they cast based on how fitting they are for the role and not based on their popularity.
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Crystal wrote:

That'd be annoying, ageism is gross.

(It wouldn't be appropriate-age casting, they're significantly older than their characters.)

Ageism is discrimination against people based on their age, so saying it'd be gross for older actresses to portray teenagers would be an example of ageism, not the opposite. Also, teenage girls are very frequently voiced by women in their early-to-mid twenties, which most of the people I listed are. So, if you have a problem with voice actors being older than the characters they portray then you'd have to have a problem with a huge amount of anime voice casts as it's a near constant.

I dunno, Tara Strong, Grey DeLisle and Hynden Walch are in their 40s and are great at doing voices for teenagers. I just watched "I Know That Voice"--I don't think ANY of the actors interviewed were in their twenties.

Your voice changes more between ages 12 and 20 than it does between say, 25 and 35. Why is it more common for 20-something voice actresses in Japanese anime to play little boys and girls than it is for older actresses? A 20-year-old would have to do a "character" voice for a little girl or boy just as much as an older actress would. In the real world, being younger doesn't always mean your voice is higher. Plenty of young women have lower sounding voices.

It's disgusting that the way Japanese voice acting seems to work is "get lead roles when you're new and then have your roles decline as you get older". Wouldn't working your way up make more sense than getting the most amount of work when you're new? It'd give you something to look forward to at least in that case.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
AsherFischell wrote:
Crystal wrote:

That'd be annoying, ageism is gross.

(It wouldn't be appropriate-age casting, they're significantly older than their characters.)

Ageism is discrimination against people based on their age, so saying it'd be gross for older actresses to portray teenagers would be an example of ageism, not the opposite. Also, teenage girls are very frequently voiced by women in their early-to-mid twenties, which most of the people I listed are. So, if you have a problem with voice actors being older than the characters they portray then you'd have to have a problem with a huge amount of anime voice casts as it's a near constant.

I dunno, Tara Strong, Grey DeLisle and Hynden Walch are in their 40s and are great at doing voices for teenagers. I just watched "I Know That Voice"--I don't think ANY of the actors interviewed were in their twenties.

Your voice changes more between ages 12 and 20 than it does between say, 25 and 35. Why is it more common for 20-something voice actresses in Japanese anime to play little boys and girls than it is for older actresses? A 20-year-old would have to do a "character" voice for a little girl or boy just as much as an older actress would. In the real world, being younger doesn't always mean your voice is higher. Plenty of young women have lower sounding voices.

It's disgusting that the way Japanese voice acting seems to work is "get lead roles when you're new and then have your roles decline as you get older". Wouldn't working your way up make more sense than getting the most amount of work when you're new? It'd give you something to look forward to at least in that case.

Ah, I misunderstood you initially. I thought the statement in parentheses was something you were saying personally, not you giving an example, so I thought you were saying something completely different. You're definitely right about the way it works in Japan, though. Once voice actresses reach a certain age, they mostly just get kicked in to "mother territory." I think that has a lot to do with otaku, though. The otaku seem to want younger, cuter newbies over older women, so the industry sort of casts them aside once the otaku move onto younger actresses.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Nah, voice acting in Japan is a much bigger industry than it is in America. Just the massive difference in the amount of shows that come out in Japan every year (150+) to how many cartoons come out in America (10 if you're lucky) There is so much more competition with new faces constantly breaking into the biz. Plus voice actors in Japan are expected to do a lot more than just voice act. They usually have to know how to sing, put out CDs and do other stuff do. A lot of voice actors here don't sing and usually get stand-ins to sing for them like on My Little Pony to the annoyance of some fans.

Sides, you wouldn't want to hear the same people for 20 years would you? Laughing Variety is the spice of life. If Japan's seiyuu industry is constantly being refreshed and getting new talent they don't really need to rely on the same small group of people like the west does.
Crystal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nah, voice acting in Japan is a much bigger industry than it is in America. Just the massive difference in the amount of shows that come out in Japan every year (150+) to how many cartoons come out in America (10 if you're lucky) There is so much more competition with new faces constantly breaking into the biz. Plus voice actors in Japan are expected to do a lot more than just voice act. They usually have to know how to sing, put out CDs and do other stuff do. A lot of voice actors here don't sing and usually get stand-ins to sing for them like on My Little Pony to the annoyance of some fans.

While you make some points about Japanese voice acting being larger, I think some Western anime fans over estimate their popularity (lots overestimate the popularity of anime in Japan). At a con, I asked Yuu Asakawa if she ever gets recognized on her own time in Japan. She said "No"--even when she went to Akihabara. I don't see how "they put out CDs and photo books" is a good excuse for the ageism. It's not really the CORE (heart?) of being a voice actor.

Quote:

Sides, you wouldn't want to hear the same people for 20 years would you? Laughing

Why wouldn't I? I'm always quite impressed with watching Frank Welker and June Foray nowadays. And Masako Nozawa as well! I'm not saying that there should never be new voice actors, I'm saying why should the roles be DOMINATED by new voice actors, and the *youngest* ones at that. Compared to cartoon voice acting, Japanese voice acting seems really uneven to me when the average age of a working voice actor is probably like, 23.7 >: P

Quote:
Variety is the spice of life. If Japan's seiyuu industry is constantly being refreshed and getting new talent they don't really need to rely on the same small group of people like the west does.

Why do people keep saying that? It's like they think VAs shouldn't have a ton of roles. Again, I'm impressed when a voice actor works a lot. (In English, at least) "bad" voice actors don't get a lot of work, otherwise why would they? It's not like in the on-camera world where a bad actor gets work because he's supposedly selling movie tickets.

They also reuse voice actors in Japan . . . until they turn 25-30. And when I watch anime in Japanese, the voices DO sound like voices I've heard before in other Japanese anime, even when they're not played by the same actors.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy I don't understand why ageism is mentioned. I'm too used to the performance over the years that I don't think of age.

I've heard various people play younger characters comfortably (maybe). Like Seki Tomokazu ("I'm 40, playing 18 year old boys!!") and Ishida Akira. They seem fine in their 40s but I think their selection is mostly due to their studio affiliation. Same case with the American VAs.

And hey, being older doesn't mean you're not cool.

Can't wait for this event. The teasing is terrible.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
Sides, you wouldn't want to hear the same people for 20 years would you? Laughing Variety is the spice of life. If Japan's seiyuu industry is constantly being refreshed and getting new talent they don't really need to rely on the same small group of people like the west does.

I'm assuming you've never heard of Nana Mizuki, who happens to be one of the most prolific seiyuu over the past 16 years?

Anyhow, I'm curious to see who the seiyuu for the new anime show of Sailor Moon will be. I'm pretty sure most of the seiyuu will be new.
Togame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Most of the old cast just isn't active anymore.
Sometimes they pop up here an there for a very episodic role, but not for an entire show. Some of the VAs in the old show aren't just "in 40s", but in 50s and even older than that. Remember, the original show was 22 years ago.

After all, this is a new production and the producers have gone out of their way to underline that fact a few times, a change of cast is probably expected and while disappointing to some, it might also be an interesting new take on the property.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Sarukah wrote:
I absolutely loved Sawashiro when she first came onto the scene, but since then there have been seasons where she was literally in every single show airing and it was horrible. I am so tired of her voice, she does nothing whatsoever to change it or make it different or unique for different characters except maybe once or twice, just to be lenient since I can't recall a time where she ever did.

Pretty sure you're confusing Miyuki Sawashiro with Kana Hanazawa. (I'd be happy with ANYONE as Rei as long as it's not Haruka Tomatsu or Yu Kobayashi. Especially not Tomatsu.) Sawashiro was (and sometimes still is) a versatile voice actress. I'm absolutely SICK of Kana Hanazawa at this point.

The only original voice I really want back is Aya Hisakawa as Ami (which is a no-brainer, as she was just in Robot Girls Z). I'd be okay with the rest of the cast being changed.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'm praying the original cast reprises their roles.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
@TsukasaElkKite

As much as I would want that, I honestly don't see that occurring for most of them, due to how much time has passed.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
@TsukasaElkKite

As much as I would want that, I honestly don't see that occurring for most of them, due to how much time has passed.

I dunno, I'm hopeful because almost all of them (save Chiyoko Kawashima and maybe Michie Tomizawa) are still active. I'm thinking of how the show is about as old as something like say, Darkwing Duck and the only one in that cast who isn't active is Christine Cavanaugh. I mean, Jim Cummings still works a lot! If something were to happen like that (doubt it, and I'm fine with it that way), I'm sure he'd be willing to be involved.

Another thing is, from what I know, I don't think seiyuu get residuals. I would think not getting as much work when you're older would be kinda tricky . . .
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
@Crystal

If that's the case, then perhaps some of them really may have a good chance of reappearing...
Well, as long as they still have the energy and desire for acting, then I'm all for the old seiyuu making their comeback. Smile
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
Doesn't Aya Hisakawa still voices Skuld in Aa! Megami-sama! titles?
First OVA was 1993, and even now Skuld still looks like 9 - 10 year old girl, or rather didn't age.

http://myanimelist.net/character/807/Skuld

Kotono Mitsuishi voiced Cocco in Hunter x Hunter that is currently airing who looks about 16 - 17, not that much difference than 14 years old.

http://myanimelist.net/character/66135/Cocco

Emi Shinohara who voices Kushina in Naruto: Shippuuden, also voiced young Kushina where she looked like she was 12 - 13, and she sounded quite young too.

Yuko Minaguchi can also easily voice young girls, for instance, Ringo from Casshern Sins (yes 2008 / 2009 series, but I doubt her voice changed that much).

I'm not really sure about Michie Tomizawa, Kae Araki, and Rica Fukami, as I didn't hear them voicing anyone young recently.
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

I don't see how "they put out CDs and photo books" is a good excuse for the ageism. It's not really the CORE (heart?) of being a voice actor.

While I do agree with you that these are not the core of being a voice actor, they really cannot help but put out these cds and photobooks because if they just rely on their salary for their anime work, it isn't really enough. Japan's culture really is into idols etc as time goes by. The new seiyuu who come out bank on their looks and their voices just so they can be popular.

Quote:

I'm not saying that there should never be new voice actors, I'm saying why should the roles be DOMINATED by new voice actors, and the *youngest* ones at that. Compared to cartoon voice acting, Japanese voice acting seems really uneven to me when the average age of a working voice actor is probably like, 23.7 >: P

A lot of them are really young but think of it, during the time of Sailormoon, their seiyuu also dominated the anime scene so I don't see why this time's Sailormoon shouldn't be dominated with new blood. Did it also not occur to you that the older seiyuu choose not to get any more new roles either just because they don't want to... I know some seiyuu do not wish to play 16yo girls/boys anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3