• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Best Dressed Male Anime Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo's a pretty good choice. Especially in the manga, Kubo draws really cool outfits (when they're not wearing a shihakusho). There's been more than one occasion where I actually wanted something Ichigo was wearing in the manga. I could easily imagine clothes from Bleach on sale in Zara or something, whereas the other characters on this list, while cool, are mostly wearing cosplayable anime attire that no one would realistically wear.

Nabari no Ou was another one where the characters were often wearing nice outfits. At least in the manga.

I'd like to see a One Punch Man anime, but the animation would have to be truly top notch. Murata's working at the top of his game on that series, so a half-assed Pierrot adaptation or whatever would be an insult to the series.

Last edited by bahamut623 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo is #1 on the list?

*plays number 1 song*

Im glad that Ichigo is up there. I remember when Bleach was first airing on Adult Swim in '06(was a teen back then), the first thing that stood out to me were the clothes that the characters wore,especially the white clothing Ichigo and Rukia had on. I thought they were cool and that they would wear them in the show, which made me interested in watching it more. Unfortunately, they didn't, but I was excited to watch that opening every time Bleach came on. One thing I can say about Bleach is that I love Kubo's art and design.

Also, Kaneda and Jojo are great picks.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
I got back into the Pokemon TCG a few years ago and still play in league and tournaments.

I'm trying to get into Weiss Schwarz, but I get very few chances to actually play with other people... :/
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Surprised but pleased to see Kaneda make the list. I always did think his jacket-and-pants combo was nearly as iconic as his bike was.

Ichigo being #1 totally came from out of left field for me. (But then, I've never been noted as keen on fashion sense.) Interesting reasoning.

i wouldnt say that. i totally expected Kaneda to be on this list considering that his future biker gear is still to this day the most popular cosplay in the male otaku community. but ichigo is another story. i definitely woudnt have him on this list and have kaneda instead. however instead i would put naruto on this list though somewhere in the top 5.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
I was expecting more CLAMP on the list. Since I've always noticed Ichigo's clothing changing throughout Bleach, I thought the clothing design was spot on. It's not really a surprise that he got top spot.

As for card games, I can't seem to get away from them. I would call myself a card game nomad because when I stop playing one, I pick up another soon after... Pokemon to Digimon to Dragonball Z to Magic to DBZ (again) to Yu-Gi-Oh to DBZ (again) to Yu Yu Hakusho to Inuyasha to Yu Yu Hakusho (again) to Magic (again) to Kingdom Hearts to Magic (again) to Weiß Schwarz to Pokemon (again) to Weiß Schwarz (current)...

I've quit a few times in there. I think I quit Magic 3 times and am steering clear now. Funny thing is that I'm somewhat good at a few of the games and have played tournaments, but the only one that I'm exceptionally good at is Yu Yu Hakusho. I've never been good at Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh or Kingdom Hearts. There were always plenty of players for Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh around, but Kingdom Hearts was the complete opposite. I still haven't met another KH card game player. Digimon made little sense, because my Mega would always get pummeled by some Champion, Magnamon. Finding players to play with was always difficult, I think I knew 1 other person who played. In Magic, I would come up with really interesting combos, but generally didn't win and there was never a shortage of players. DBZ was my long runner, I enjoyed playing it and finding people play with was fairly easy. Yu Yu Hakusho started slow and I wasn't sure if I really wanted to play it and as it turned out, almost no one played it where I was from. I had about 4 friends who played. Eventually, I went to tournaments in other cities, I went to Worlds and got nearly last place. I learned my lesson and went to Origins that same year and won their Yu Yu Hakusho tournament.

Weiß Schwarz is a bit different mainly because of the language barrier that still exists with the game. Many of my friends are hesitant on even trying it out because of several factors:

Language barrier (many sets have only been released in Japanese and only recently in English).

Cards are hard to get (some that may never get a release in the U.S and others that will probably never see a reprint). I don't know how many of my friends said that they wanted Persona 3 and Black Rock Shooter cards...they would play if they were available, but the sets have been out of print for years now and unless they want to pay hundreds of dollars for a box that originally was about $35, their out of luck.

Cost (160 cards per booster box (1 per box) at ~$60, 36 cards per extra pack box (12 foils per box) at ~$35, and 50 cards for trial decks at ~$12). These are the normal starting prices and the prices usually go up over time. I think it takes about 6 months for the price to start increasing, especially with extra pack boxes. Here in the U.S., the packs end up being between $3.50 and $5.

Pull rate (extra packs have 2 foils per pack, booster boxes have 1 per box and trial decks usually have none, but has been changing to a guaranteed 1), once the signed card is pulled from a box, the rest gets pretty much discarded.

They are invested in other games, like Magic.

I love the game and have hosted events (introduction, learning how to play, and tournaments) at Anime Iowa for the last 3 years. Some have shown interest, but it hasn't been as successful as I wished it to be.

Sorry, I think I went a bit overboard with this post...
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
All these characters aren't even dressed that nice looking... But, matter of opinion, I suppose.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't tend to pay much attention to fashion, but thinking back on it, Kubo does tend to change up his characters clothing quite often (when appropriate at least). Perhaps he has a side passion in fashion design?

For last weeks poll I picked Shokugeki no Soma because it was the first series I thought of. When I saw One Punch Man on that list I almost changed my pick, but while I think that would make a great anime too, SnS is something different as opposed to another action series (not that that's a bad thing) and I'd really love to see it brought to "life".
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
I don't know about #1, but Kubo would definitely make some impressive cover/side art with the characters dressed in modern clothing. Fits Renji pretty well.
Waffitti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Kubo has really good fashion sense. Oda not as much, but he can be creative when drawing clothes for front-page illustrations. Kishimoto still draws Naruto wearing an ugly orange coat. (I wonder if their fashion senses extend to real life?)

I always felt Spike Spiegel's attire of choice had its own odd way of being classy (maybe it's the droopy collar that sets it aside most suit-wearing fellas...). The same extends to that once guy from REBORN! (you know the one). I'd extend the compliment to the FREE! cast, but they look better with their more practical attire, and to one of the Uta no ☆ Prince-sama ♪ princes, but I don't know that series very well.

The card game that grabbed me the most was Yu-Gi-Oh!, though I eventually lost interest when the synchro cards came came, I tried the Pokémon one once, which I didn't like, and I think I have some Digimon cards that I won from some friends years ago lying around (never got to play with them though). The only other game that got close to me was Magic (i still need to find my brother's card binder, it'ss got to be around somewhere...).
Xagor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote
Mune wrote:

Pull rate (extra packs have 2 foils per pack, booster boxes have 1 per box and trial decks usually have none, but has been changing to a guaranteed 1), once the signed card is pulled from a box, the rest gets pretty much discarded.

You need to convince people that the non-holos are just as good to get. Often the RRs will be worth more than the SRs, unless the SR happens to be good. SPs (signs) are a different matter, but even then, the unpopular signs / characters can be worth less than some of the RRs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3