• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dark Horse Adds Legal Drug, Drug & Drop, Oreimo: Kuroneko

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
rahzel:
Quote:
They didn't do new translations. They just flipped the books that needed it, cleaned up the pages a bit and then added all the color artwork in. My CLOVER omnibus still has Ora/Sue instead of Oruha/Suu and the same pretty badly translated lines from the TP versions.

Kind of ironic, considering Toren trashed Tokyopop's translations as inferior to his own. Didn't want to admit they were passable enough to do the job, it seems.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
They didn't do new translations. They just flipped the books that needed it, cleaned up the pages a bit and then added all the color artwork in. My CLOVER omnibus still has Ora/Sue instead of Oruha/Suu and the same pretty badly translated lines from the TP versions.

That seems pretty cheap of them.

Not like I would know, since I'm not someone that read the original Japanese edition, so I couldn't say how good or bad a translations is.

What I do hate, is when companies keep the "san" and "sama" stuff when it doesn't matter to the story at all. Unless it's important to the series, I would prefer that stuff to be taken out.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
YAAAAAAAAY they got Drug and Drop
Nemui_Nezumi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
(...)
What I do hate, is when companies keep the "san" and "sama" stuff when it doesn't matter to the story at all. Unless it's important to the series, I would prefer that stuff to be taken out.

yeah, me too

or when they keep some japanese words (even if you know them it's weird, gives that feeling the translator is some kind of newbie weaboo or something)
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
or when they keep some japanese words (even if you know them it's weird, gives that feeling the translator is some kind of newbie weaboo or something)

You mean when they use terms like "ni-san" or the Japanese words that mean big brother and big sister?

Lol, maybe it's so they can the word count down, ni-san is shorter to type out (takes less space), then typing big brother in the speech bubble
potatochobit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
April 15, 2015, lol
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
Vata Raven wrote:
You mean when they use terms like "ni-san" or the Japanese words that mean big brother and big sister?

Lol, maybe it's so they can the word count down, ni-san is shorter to type out (takes less space), then typing big brother in the speech bubble
Eh, as a form of address "big brother" and "big sister" just sound weird; leaving it foreign just flows better in my opinion. I've definitely seen some "keikaku means plan" translations in professionally-done manga, like "goukan"(foyer) in OreImo and "kampai" in Girl Friends(where there's a longer explanation that just makes the decision look even worse).
ShaunHastings

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Awesome news about Drug & Drop, I have the old Legal Drug volumes Tokyopop put out all those years ago, so will definitely be picking up the continuation.

Now I have to go and find my old volumes, so I can re-read them and remind myself what was actually going on..!
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
rahzel rose wrote:
Vata Raven wrote:
rahzel rose wrote:
It's really too bad there won't be new translations for Legal Drug since TP did an awful job with it, but at least we'll get a decent one for Drug & Drop.

Are they not re-tranlating it?

I thought Dark Horse did new translations for the other Clamp stuff they got a hold of?

I don't know about Clover but, the CCS omnibuses I have are different. Granted Tokyopop did different versions of the series themselves. But, I distinctively remember being thrown a little when I started reading the Darkhorse version. Unfortunately, I also bought CCS around the time a couple of other companies had done license rescues. One of those newer versions I purchased ended up being truly awful. So after I spent way too much of my free time just working through the volumes I had of that series I was burnt out. As a result I can't say what's better in the CCS case since I didn't even think about the Darkhorse version again until I read this thread.

So, maybe good things will happen for Legal Drug?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2