• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils A Certain Scientific Railgun S' English Dub Cast, Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
so looks like you guys successfully entertained a troll for little bit, again

If anyone is entertained its us. He reminds of the criminals on Cops trying to justify their greed. That said, I don't consider him a fan of any kind and these other posts who said somewhat the same as me makes me proud of them. Even if they buy 1 or 2 series a time or support Crunchyroll, they're fans in my eyes for standing up to not-so-nice-people like that. Also, if you don't see a new season ever, you can blame him not us and knowing I wasn't the cause is all I need. Cool
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It's a simple matter, really. I want to own the series -> it's only going to be released on DVD -> I buy the DVDs.

You're free to be satified with your BD rips, but you really shouldn't act like it somehow makes you better than the rest of us.

That's the things though - the general rule for FUNimation is:
Release DVD ----> wait for BD rights to go up for purchase/be affordable ---> release on BD.

We've already seen this before with Deadman Wonderland, Panty and Stocking, and other titles I'm probably forgetting about.

If you're someone who only buys things on BD because you want the best quality possible, the best thing would be to wait and get the BDs so that you're not stuck with an inferior version down the line.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
It's not always about cost. Some companies are paranoid about reverse importation. They might refuse to give the BD rights to American companies so Japanese consumers can't buy the cheaper english discs. It's also why some BDs get released dub only or you can't turn the subtitles off the japanese track.

What I want to know is why we're getting Railgun S before Index II.

They're probably releasing Railgun S first since the Railgun series is more popular here than the main Index series (100% based on speculation mind you).

At least they're releasing the series in chronological order. Hopefully this just means that when they do release Index II, it'll also get a BD release (alongside the movie and first season too!).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:23 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
It's a simple matter, really. I want to own the series -> it's only going to be released on DVD -> I buy the DVDs.

You're free to be satified with your BD rips, but you really shouldn't act like it somehow makes you better than the rest of us.

Release DVD ----> wait for BD rights to go up for purchase/be affordable ---> release on BD.

We've already seen this before with Deadman Wonderland, Panty and Stocking, and other titles I'm probably forgetting about.

right, that's because Kadokawa wont let them release their shows on Blu-ray until much later
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

If you're someone who only buys things on BD because you want the best quality possible, the best thing would be to wait and get the BDs so that you're not stuck with an inferior version down the line.

Odds are when they do that it's a licensing restriction. Just look at all the other shows Funi releases that is a BD/DVD combo on day 1.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Accelerator's voice is terrible. And Saten still sounds like a grown up woman. And why not release it on BD, this show was broadcasted in HD. Oh, well, if it'll have a nice box to fill up the shelf then I'll get it anyway.
thewizardninja

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yes. Yes it does. It's still stealing.

Actually, I think you'll find it's legally the same thing as owning a counterfeit.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:

It's been awhile since Index came out and it has yet to recieve a BD release. I doubt it'll ever get one.

At any rate, no, I'm not hung up on quality. And if they do release blu rays I can just dump my DVDs on my brother.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
thewizardninja wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

Yes. Yes it does. It's still stealing.

Actually, I think you'll find it's legally the same thing as owning a counterfeit.

In a lot of cases things like this have been treated this way. But remember, Funi has proven in the past it will take legal action against torrenters. Good luck to those who announce such things on forums, they'll need it. (SouthPacific, I'm looking at you)
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Funimation has tried and failed hard at attacking people who torrent fansubs. Announcing on forums don't mine jack, heck if they really wanted to they could use something like MAL to see who watches fansubs by looking at the series' that aren't steamed legally anywhere.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote
So... No word on Toaru II yet, eh?
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:25 am Reply with quote
^
Its been licensed at least; along with the Index Movie.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Well, to be fair here... you are paying for something of lower quality, and he is getting it for free, at a higher quality. Legality aside, that does seem like the smarter thing to do.
Akaname

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Well, to be fair here... you are paying for something of lower quality, and he is getting it for free, at a higher quality. Legality aside, that does seem like the smarter thing to do.

But that's the whole point, isn't it? Doing something illegal and bragging about it on a public forum is definitely not the "smarter thing to do." That's something only an insecure moron of a thief would do.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Saying, "I can get illegal Blu-Ray quality for free, Neiner, neiner!" is stupid. I 100% support Funimation releases, I despise people like this who whine about quality, but wont suck it up and buy Japanese blu-ray and then say they're all about "teh quality!"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4