• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Unveils A Certain Scientific Railgun S' English Dub Cast, Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
Doing something illegal and bragging about it on a public forum is definitely not the "smarter thing to do."

That is true, bragging about it makes you seem insecure.

mglittlerobin wrote:
Saying, "I can get illegal Blu-Ray quality for free, Neiner, neiner!" is stupid.

Again, that's pretty immature.

mglittlerobin wrote:
I 100% support Funimation releases, I despise people like this who whine about quality, but wont suck it up and buy Japanese blu-ray and then say they're all about "teh quality!"

This part does not make much sense. You support Funimation releasing an HD show (Railgun S was animated in 900p) in DVD only quality? Also, what does importing have to do with this? The official DVD from Funimation WILL be of lower quality then a BD rip, that's a fact. And the BD s of slightly higher quality then the BD rip. That does not change the fact that the DVD version is the lowest quality of the three.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
On one hand, why pay for something inferior?

On the other hand, if you enjoy this series, why not just buy/import the Japanese BD? I don't really see "expensive", or even "I can't understand it", as an excuse for something you're passionate about.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Akaname wrote:
Doing something illegal and bragging about it on a public forum is definitely not the "smarter thing to do."

That is true, bragging about it makes you seem insecure.

mglittlerobin wrote:
Saying, "I can get illegal Blu-Ray quality for free, Neiner, neiner!" is stupid.

Again, that's pretty immature.

mglittlerobin wrote:
I 100% support Funimation releases, I despise people like this who whine about quality, but wont suck it up and buy Japanese blu-ray and then say they're all about "teh quality!"

This part does not make much sense. You support Funimation releasing an HD show (Railgun S was animated in 900p) in DVD only quality? Also, what does importing have to do with this? The official DVD from Funimation WILL be of lower quality then a BD rip, that's a fact. And the BD s of slightly higher quality then the BD rip. That does not change the fact that the DVD version is the lowest quality of the three.

I'm sure that eventually Funimation will get a Blu-Ray for Railgun S, but seriously coming here to brag that you can get Blu-Ray quality for free and being condescending towards people and Funi just because the only legit version we can get for now is DVD is really stupid.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
On one hand, why pay for something inferior?

On the other hand, if you enjoy this series, why not just buy/import the Japanese BD? I don't really see "expensive", or even "I can't understand it", as an excuse for something you're passionate about.

What his poster said, if they want Blu-Ray so bad, import it, you've seen the subbed version so you know what's being said. If you're REALLY all about quality, you'll suck it up and wait for a Blu-Ray release.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
From an economic stand point, that makes absolutely no sense.
Here are the available versions as of now:
1. Funimation DVD: cheap, but low quality --> Stupid choice, since you get the lowest quality and encourage Funimation to keep doing this. Also, they will milk you again later if they release a BD version.
You can turn this option into a smart choice by waiting for a BD version from Funimation. Buying the LQ DVD helps nobody but Funimation make even less effort.

2. Japanese BD: expensive, highest quality --> Morally correct choice, since you are supporting the official makers. However, you are paying at least 3 times as much as option 1. Not possible for everyone and for every thing you'd want.

3. BD rip: free, high quality --> Smart choice, since you are getting it for free at at least 90% the quality of option 2. usually reserved for people with low morals about copyright. Either they are too cheap to pay, or the culture they grew up in does not value copyright in the least (most east-european countries). Downside is that you are breaking the law. Depending on where you are from however, you will never be caught.

Choosing option 3 makes you cheap and selfish, but it does not make you stupid.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
I don't care about the lack of Blu-ray and likely wont upgrade if there ever is a BD release. I like the show and I'm going to buy it when its out, because I like it and want to own it. I don't believe that's a stupid decision
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote
If you guys wanna be technical, Funimation's BD releases are the lower quality. Because of the locked subtitles and banding issues they have...

So what if it's DVD? I get to watch the dub with subtitles on and I don't care about a few minor pixels here and there. DVD is inferior? Maybe. But is it so bad, it's not worth the purchase? Not really. I'm perfectly happy with DVD until the day I die, unless it's for an older show that desperately needs a remaster.

I honestly don't care if I can't see the every single little detail in the background or on their face or a specific line. I'm here to watch the show, not gripe about not being able to see a certain pixel... and in the end, that's what it's all about. And this is coming from an AMV maker, which is all about quality here. I use my DVDs to make AMVs and clean them up with scripts. Only different in BD is that I just take out the cleaning part...no big difference to me. Just an extra step of work, which I don't mind to do.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
From an economic stand point, that makes absolutely no sense.
Here are the available versions as of now:
1. Funimation DVD: cheap, but low quality --> Stupid choice, since you get the lowest quality and encourage Funimation to keep doing this. Also, they will milk you again later if they release a BD version.
You can turn this option into a smart choice by waiting for a BD version from Funimation. Buying the LQ DVD helps nobody but Funimation make even less effort.

2. Japanese BD: expensive, highest quality --> Morally correct choice, since you are supporting the official makers. However, you are paying at least 3 times as much as option 1. Not possible for everyone and for every thing you'd want.

3. BD rip: free, high quality --> Smart choice, since you are getting it for free at at least 90% the quality of option 2. usually reserved for people with low morals about copyright. Either they are too cheap to pay, or the culture they grew up in does not value copyright in the least (most east-european countries). Downside is that you are breaking the law. Depending on where you are from however, you will never be caught.

Choosing option 3 makes you cheap and selfish, but it does not make you stupid.

What makes you stupid is bragging about being cheap and selfish, and acting like you're better than others because you're cheap and selfish.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
I didn't brag about anything... Idk how certain people were able to reach the conclusion that I was bragging about what I said... Confused

For moralpolice, I happen to have as many Funimation releases as I do genuine Japanese imports. I support the industry where support is due. For a show like Railgun which has great art and some fluidly animated scenes I won't settle for a DVD release. Had this been 10 years ago, yeah I would've gotten that DVD. Today there's this thing called HD (BD), and that's the format I prefer as it offers significantly better quality (unless you've got really poor eyesight, i guess?).

Don't like that? Me = no care.

E: On anime BDs(and 3 DVDs!) I have spent a total of 477.31$ (including international shipping) this month. If you're calling me cheap you must be one rich guy. Lucky you Smile.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:19 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I didn't brag about anything... Idk how certain people were able to reach the conclusion that I was bragging about what I said... Confused

For moralpolice, I happen to have as many Funimation releases as I do genuine Japanese imports. I support the industry where support is due. For a show like Railgun which has great art and some fluidly animated scenes I won't settle for a DVD release. Had this been 10 years ago, yeah I would've gotten that DVD. Today there's this thing called HD (BD), and that's the format I prefer as it offers significantly better quality (unless you've got really poor eyesight, i guess?).

Don't like that? Me = no care.

E: On anime BDs(and 3 DVDs!) I have spent a total of 477.31$ (including international shipping) this month. If you're calling me cheap you must be one rich guy. Lucky you Smile.

The fact that you're justifying stealing a Blu-Ray rip as okay, even though you buy stuff is what makes you look bad. If you want to support Railgun S, you should just buy the Blu-Ray straight from Japan.
誤称

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
I'll probably pick this up on a Funimation sale at Rightstuf. I'm not willing to pay even close to full price for a faulty version like this. Let's also not forget the poor scripting choices, the terrible casting and the overall lack of care put into Funimation's Raildex releases to date.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I'll probably pick this up on a Funimation sale at Rightstuf. I'm not willing to pay even close to full price for a faulty version like this. Let's also not forget the poor scripting choices, the terrible casting and the overall lack of care put into Funimation's Raildex releases to date.
\

Now this I have to disagree with as I felt Railgun's first season had a very good dub. I can't say anything about Index S1 though as I haven't heard that dub yet.
Actar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
@Spaceman, If a title isn't released in the US, people (us residents) download the fansubs, and then everything is fine, because buying the Japanese release is too expensive. Wouldn't that make all of those people thieves as well?

Yes. Yes it does. It's still stealing.

People have come under this false belief that "just because something isn't legally available in my country, that gives me every right to download it for free." That's not true. It's still taking something that doesn't belong to you without paying for it. The creators get nothing for their hard work. Ergo, it's theft.

Quote:
If not, i'm not a US citizen, nor am I Japanese. I don't live in the BD region that you do. = I have no obligation to import any US releases.

Doesn't matter. If you torrent things you don't own, you're still stealing.

It's literally THAT simple. But of course, thieves will always try to justify their thievery. Rolling Eyes

Wait, what? There is a significant difference between the concept of piracy and theft/stealing and you seem to be conflating the two.

The interesting thing about piracy is that it doesn't diminish the amount of product that the company has to sell. Piracy is copying or replicating.

Assuming that one has absolutely no intention of buying the official product anyway (be it due to regional issues or a lack of money or whatever), the company gets no sale. If one were to torrent the anime, the company also gets no sale. It doesn't make a difference to the company either way because, as I said, pirating something does not reduce the amount of product that the company has to sell. This means that they will still be able to make the money that they were already going to make off the people who were going to buy the official product regardless. Going into a store and actually taking a physical copy of the DVD/BD Box Set from the shelves without paying? That's stealing.

Not to mention, the act of pirating something isn't mutually exclusive to the act of purchasing an official version of the product. Just because I pirate something, doesn't mean that I don't buy the DVDs or BDs, etc...

Whatever your moral stand might be, piracy is not stealing, no matter what those PSAs try to tell you. If you're that upstanding of a citizen, you shouldn't even lend your friends the DVDs that you bought because the "the creators get nothing for their hard work". By right, he should buy his own copy too. If you disagree, that's a double standard.

Last edited by Actar on Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
So what level was S animated at? The first season looked pretty good on DVD, but will the second season? I doubt a series from 2013 would look good on DVD, but I could be wrong.

The original was made to be in HD. S even more so since they made it with what they used for the index movie. Use to be that jc staff 1080p on the blurays were just upscaled and didn't really look better than 720p, but supposedly (as I haven't seen a bluray of it myself) the 1080p for S is noticeable.

Would have pre-ordered a bluray... will wait for bargain bin prices for a dvd though...

Barbobot wrote:
Now this I have to disagree with as I felt Railgun's first season had a very good dub. I can't say anything about Index S1 though as I haven't heard that dub yet.

The voice acting I thought was at least not bad. I didn't like 'sissy' but I am sympathetic to that being difficult to work around. My issue with it is that their dub takes too much liberty with the script and goes even as far as completely changing lines. I only watched 2 eps dubbed with a friend and one scene completely changed the meaning, and I'm not even being that picky, it didn't match the japanese but it also didn't match what happened on screen either (which it couldn't because Touma's power can't do what the dub line said in the first place).
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

The voice acting I thought was at least not bad. I didn't like 'sissy' but I am sympathetic to that being difficult to work around. My issue with it is that their dub takes too much liberty with the script and goes even as far as completely changing lines. I only watched 2 eps dubbed with a friend and one scene completely changed the meaning, and I'm not even being that picky, it didn't match the japanese but it also didn't match what happened on screen either (which it couldn't because Touma's power can't do what the dub line said in the first place).

I'll have to go back and check it out then. I rewatched the show dubbed after I bought it and didn't notice anything like that, but I wasn't comparing it to the subtitles and it had been a while since I last watched Railgun before that.
NoremaC-_-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:59 am Reply with quote
i would be mad at them for skipping season 2 of index but knowing that i get to hear mugino and the rest of ITEM's english voices more than compensates for that. Muuuggiiinooooo
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4