• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking: April 7-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty much figured Youkai Watch's timeslot change would be the death of it in the Top 10. Ah well Sad

StrawHat313 wrote:
I didn't expect DB Kai to be so high on the ranking? Especially since when it was revealed to be doing the Buu Saga, they said "because of American demand."

It's Dragonball. Of course it'd be high. Despite Kai being considered a failure it still got in the Top 10 every week back when it was originally airing.

First time I've heard it exists because of 'American demand' though.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
It's odd that DB Kai hasn't made those 9/10+ ratings yet and with that taking One Piece to greather heights as well as suppose to Toriko which din't do that but so far they haven't been that successful to really get that that dream 9 block going full steam ahead.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
First time I've heard it exists because of 'American demand' though.

It's more like "overseas demand" and not specifically American. Kai is really only being continued so it can be sold internationally, as it did absolutely nothing for the franchise in its homeland. Some have even speculated it's only on Japanese TV because the Toriko anime bombed amazingly.

As a result, there are a lot of shortcuts being taken with production, all of which super-fans have been documenting at places like Kanzenshuu. A lesser in-house remaster as opposed to being farmed out to company Q-TEC, extremely low budget musical score, the complete forgoing of reanimated scenes... It's a sad state of affairs for me, who was really looking forward to this.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
It's odd that DB Kai hasn't made those 9/10+ ratings yet and with that taking One Piece to greather heights as well as suppose to Toriko which din't do that but so far they haven't been that successful to really get that that dream 9 block going full steam ahead.

The (very) slow start followed by a better rating suggests that people were simply not aware of DBZ Kai being back on Japanese tv. It was announced not that long ago too. The 'Dream 9' block is not yet in full force but One Piece beating Conan for the first time since January suggests it is getting there. I wouldn't be surprised if ratings continued to increase in the next few weeks/months for both shows.

The problem for Toei and Fuji TV is that DBZ Kai isn't a long term plan, 69 episodes 'only', and when it ends One Piece ratings will probably drop again to their 'normal' level unless they find something successful enough to replace DBZ (or maybe they'll air reruns, but I'm not so sure that would work either).
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The new Kai does seem like it's more out of obligation than an honest attempt. Though that always felt like Kai to me. A total Dragonball remake would have been huge, but just remastering and editing old existing episodes felt pretty lame. I'd love to see a full on Dragonball remake given the few tidbits of new animation we do get. The openings and recent movies look phenominal. Would love the whole series in that style
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2