• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ping Pong/Kick-Heart's Yuasa Directs Adventure Time Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Visual Diversity means having a look all your own, or at least some slight variation on what exists, many anime have characters ecspecially female characters that could be from 1 of 1000s of shows. They look like clones! But no one is going to mistake Adventure Time for South Park, or Simpsons For King. Of The Hill, Gravity Falls for Bobs Burgers. Anime severely lacks this.

Yeah, no. Rolling Eyes No one is going to mistake Jewelpet for Pokemon for Battle Spirits for Yu-Gi-Oh either unless they do it on purpose to prove a point like you are doing. Jewelpet and Battle Spirits alone have such diverse styles between all their various different series it's easy to tell which characters belong to which series. Anime has tons of visual diversity, the only difference is it doesn't sacrifice all the detail to do it like cartoons do.

Crystal wrote:
I don't see how Clannad looks like One Piece, or how that looks like Monster, or how that looks like Soul Eater or how that looks like Azumanga Daioh or how that looks like CLAMP.

Don't bother, any examples you list will always be 'exceptions' You could sit there and list hundreds and he'll still play the 'well that's just the minority' card. That's how cartoon fans always are when to comes to these kinds of discussions.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Your Mistaking Detail for quality & denouncing the merit of visual Diversity. Detailed pictures are nice but part of ATs charm is it's simplistic nature.

Visual Diversity means having a look all your own, or at least some slight variation on what exists, many anime have characters ecspecially female characters that could be from 1 of 1000s of shows. They look like clones! But no one is going to mistake Adventure Time for South Park, or Simpsons For King. Of The Hill, Gravity Falls for Bobs Burgers.

Anime severly lacks this. That's why I love YUASA so much! He makes visually Stimulating stuff like Tatami Galaxy, Kick Heart, Ping Pong, etc. I can't wait to watch his full AT episode!!!

A lot of VNs look the same, but I don't see how Clannad looks like One Piece, or how that looks like Monster, or how that looks like Soul Eater or how that looks like Azumanga Daioh or how that looks like CLAMP.

Having more realistic body shapes and more detail to the eyes does not mean "the same."

On the note of Gravity Falls, I don't have anything against it, but feel like its eyes are the same as Family Guy, Crash Canyon, Brickleberry, Regular Show (especially the first 3 are similar, I like Regular Show).

I can assure you no one (myself included) is watching Gravity Falls for the animation.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's how cartoon fans always are when to comes to these kinds of discussions.

Anime are cartoons. Hence, we are all "cartoon fans."

Seriously, disagreement is all well and good, but holding yourself and what you like above others and what they like is not conductive to good discussion. And it makes you sound unpleasant.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
How is having a fun style "sacrificing detail?" I don't want everything to try to look detailed or real, that would be genaric & boring.

And yes I watch Gravity Falls for the animation as much as the story just like I do with AT, Steven or MLP.

Again Just speaking personally Visual style is as important to me in animation as story & music, I'm guess I'm greedy I like the whole package.

I mean if every painting in a museum was realistic and we didn't have any abstract, things would get boring.

Just sayin.

But to each their own.
Divineking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
This whole "all animation and art from X country looks exactly the same "argument is getting ridiculous and it's hilariously untrue. Something like Evangellion doesn't really look much of anything like say Oreimo and similarly something like Ed Edd n Eddy doesn't look anything like Johnny Test. There are a variety of styles out there for both sides and there's enough creativity on both sides of the ocean that there's really no need for a constant pissing contest between fans. At the end of the day it's all animated.

The notion of having to generalize art and animation by country is really unnecessary and frankly it's not just insulting to the medium but it's insulting to the creators as well since you're pretty much saying that it all looks and feels the same.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Agree with Divineking. I don't see why cartoon fans always have to try to say all anime looks the same. It really doesn't. It just showcases how ignorant someone is when it comes to judging animation if not being a borderline racist comment.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, so how about anime fans stop doing the same with western animation, okay? Very Happy
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I hate how anime fans take having personal preference as being ignorant &/or racist.

I'm a fan of animation, there's plenty of anime I LOVE! I was just posting my own opinion.

Also pretty sure your taking His post out of context to a degree to suite your own needs. Not cool.

Animation is a beautiful thing, and any show be it from America, Europe, Japan, what have you can be beautiful or horrid. It All comes down to personal preference.

I was merely trying to explain why I prefere AT & YUASA's works to a lot of other things out there including a lot of other anime.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
"I'm gonna verbally masturbate in every forum about how Japan is superior to America and then when someone suggests there might be an area where western animation is superior I'll call them racists." - Anime fans
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
I hate how anime fans take having personal preference as being ignorant &/or racist.

You made a sweeping generalization of 'all anime looks the same', and when Crystal refuted your statement with examples you hand-waved them away as 'just a minority'. Seems pretty fitting to be honest

But no, let's say anime fans are terrible people because someone had the nerve to actually challenge that 'all anime looks the same' statement rather than letting people spout it out all over the place like usual Rolling Eyes
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Well considering how often anime fans like to assault anyone who has a negative opinion towards or like anything more then anime, I'd say that's pretty dang ignorant as well.

Last edited by Soundmonkey44 on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to point out also that Ryan Andrews is a lying little turd:

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
You made a sweeping generalization of 'all anime looks the same',

No. Soundmonkey44 literally never said this. The actual quote is: "You do realize part of what makes animation great is visual diversity right? Something anime severely lacks alot of the time." This is the antithesis of sweeping generalization. This is an explicit acknowledgement that while this applies to much of anime, there are of course exceptions.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:53 pm Reply with quote
There's variety in everything, but there are differences in diversity. There are greater differences in variety in N. American animation because there are cultural, geographical, historical reasons for that. Its more heterogeneous cultures; its regional differences spread wide across vast country; people often have very different backgrounds and influences domestic and foreign-imported; a longer history of animation with several prominent father figures. Not that it's a fault at all, but Japan does have a more homogeneous culture and ethnic background, more limited exposure to outside influences, and a shorter animation history mostly which ultimately leads from the god Osamu Tezuka.** That's just the reality of the world, and Japan makes do with what they are, and they do great. Still for the lay people, the ranges to distinguish N. American works from one studio to another vary more due to greater differences in diversity.

(** Ask Gatsu about anime aesthetics.)
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
No. Soundmonkey44 literally never said this. The actual quote is: "You do realize part of what makes animation great is visual diversity right? Something anime severely lacks alot of the time." This is the antithesis of sweeping generalization. This is an explicit acknowledgement that while this applies to much of anime, there are of course exceptions.

First off, he said it without the 'alot of the time' as well.

Second off, that bit makes no difference anyway because you're trying to argue semantics now and shift the argument away from the core issue. It's still a statement of 'anime has no variety. It's a common debating tactics of trying to come off as 'understanding' by acknowledging there might be an exception, but it's only an exception. Saying it only applies to 'much of anime' and any variances are 'exceptions' is a way to make the claim and write off any counterpoints presented without having to argue anything. So nah, anime does not lack variety, sorry to disappoint you. It's just as varied as anything else out there.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
In my experience, I find American animation fans use that argument about lack of variety in anime because they feel it is the only point in American animation's favor they can attempt to reasonably make an argument for. When it comes to writing it's hard to make an argument of equality given the sheer amount of variety and genres anime encompasses and the unfortunate notion that animation is still seen strictly for kids in the west. There is simply no wiggle room for a debate on writing, so the focus must then go towards art, and they have to make a claim that they have more visual variety.

When that fallback is challenged, they feel threatened as it is the only ground they have to stand on and it is slowly crumbling underneath their feet when they are presented with series and arguments which undermines the claim that anime lacks the variety that American animation supposedly posses. And if it showcased that anime has a vast amount of visual variety, they can not make a claim that American animation has more visual variety. And if they can not make that claim, then they have lost their only bid at relevancy for the discussion. I do not think that is necessarily something to be ashamed of, but I can see how it might be a touchy subject for them however.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8