• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ping Pong/Kick-Heart's Yuasa Directs Adventure Time Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:

..anime pumped out 160+ shows last year while America only made like 10?

Quantity DOES NOT Equal Quality. You can have 160 shows made a year and it doesn't matter of 150 of em are mediocre &/or flat out garbage.

*cough*Hollywood*cough*
Pumps out a thousand shows a year, and people still complain there's nothing to watch! Laughing
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

..anime pumped out 160+ shows last year while America only made like 10?

Quantity DOES NOT Equal Quality. You can have 160 shows made a year and it doesn't matter of 150 of em are mediocre &/or flat out garbage.

*cough*Hollywood*cough*
Pumps out a thousand shows a year, and people still complain there's nothing to watch! Laughing

Amen ta that! Laughing

The media industry will sadly always be quantity over quality, but hey whatya gonna do, that business.

..and quality is subjective and what not tooo..

But yea, lots of media out there these days, enough ta drive yea insane!
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Nice to have Yuasa direct some Adventure Time. That's cool.

English speaking fans with knowledge of both sides will appreciate what is happening to Adventure Time.

The actual cartoon only fans...... don't give a shit and will never ever know about what's going on with Adventure Time behind the scenes.

Cartoon fans do not read and do not care. So what is there to compare?
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Nice to have Yuasa direct some Adventure Time. That's cool.

English speaking fans with knowledge of both sides will appreciate what is happening to Adventure Time.

The actual cartoon only fans...... don't give a shit and will never ever know about what's going on with Adventure Time behind the scenes.

Cartoon fans do not read and do not care. So what is there to compare?

That's not really true, hardcore AT fans, even if they aren't into anime will most likely look into this and potentially even be excited about it. Guest Directors don't happen to just any ol cartoon.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
That is true it is rare to happen. I wish it would happen more.

Will cartoon network mention this topic? Most people DVR these shows and skip advertisements. I haven't seen enough of the show to make the comparison, to see if anything is out of place, I mean.

This is going to cause me to watch all of Adventure Time just to see whats up, after it hits. Laughing
Jave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I don't like cheap Flash cartoons as much as the next person but you might want to actually research what you're saying. Flash is a tool like anything else.

If that's true, then what does it say when Flash is utilized exclusively with computer animated tweening in America then? The directors are inept or can not utilize it as well as those anime directors can? Space Dandy is pretty impressive if it uses Flash. Looks better than anything done here, that's for sure Laughing

Divineking wrote:
Comic-con was the example that came to mind the fastest but my point was even though Japan has a bigger animation culture than here in the west animation still isn't anymore publically accepted there than it is here outside of the super popular stuff.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then You still see a lot of stuff in Japan you'll never see here and I take that as a sign that it's easier to admit to liking One Piece than it is My Little Pony Laughing Manga being so widespread there compared to comics here no doubt helps that.

Divineking wrote:
I still wouldn't say being targeted towards children is a "death sentence" creativity wise.

Just a lil observation is all. Toy commercials are the most apparent difference to me. Some of the most complex and highly regarded anime out there are toy commercials, but here it seems like they are given the most barebones treatment put into them. Comparing Ben 10 to Kamen Rider, or Chaotic to Yu-Gi-Oh. I find there's a pretty big difference in their execution and effort put into them in how they present their product. They possess much more complex characters and storylines which I enjoy.

Interesting tidbit on Avatar though. Could be something they just said not to anger big papa Nickelodeon though. Laughing If it is true though it means they purposely made a show about war with no real violence in it. Seems incredibly disingenuous to the subject to me, but I guess that was the result either way.

enurtsol wrote:
There are always limitations - it's how resourceful and creative you can be to work with it. Heck, some of the best stuffs done are those that had obvious limitations because you had to be extra resourceful and extra creative to have thought of it! Instead of being straight-forward, direct, seen-a-million-times-before, easiest way to do something. Look at Alfred Hitchcock's cinematography!

Now, I specifically mentioned limited animation because that was a handicap that Japanese animators go through. But you know what? The most resourceful of them thought of really creative ways around it. It wasn't a creative death sentence to them. Rather, some of their best techniques were devised working with that handicap.

One can find these in other creative media too. Novelists writing under oppressive regimes that stamp out anything that's considered amoral to their society. So yes, many best stuffs arise from limitations because it forces you to be extra creative and resourceful than you otherwise need to be.

Whoa there, there's a pretty big difference between other literature and children's cartoons. Those directors and writers did great for what they had, yeah, but are we really comparing their work to a children's cartoon on Nickelodeon? Pretty big difference in mindsets and purposes there Wink

Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Well ya gotta keep in mind quality is subjective. Y'all can insult Hollywood as much as you want, but only a grump would say it's a dead industry. Don't like Avengers or Iron Man? That's fine, not everyone's cup o tea, but to deny their popularity is silly Laughing Anime's the same way. Hundreds a show a year is objectively better than ten just because more variety and types leads to a higher chance people will find something they like.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

enurtsol wrote:
There are always limitations - it's how resourceful and creative you can be to work with it. Heck, some of the best stuffs done are those that had obvious limitations because you had to be extra resourceful and extra creative to have thought of it! Instead of being straight-forward, direct, seen-a-million-times-before, easiest way to do something. Look at Alfred Hitchcock's cinematography!

Now, I specifically mentioned limited animation because that was a handicap that Japanese animators go through. But you know what? The most resourceful of them thought of really creative ways around it. It wasn't a creative death sentence to them. Rather, some of their best techniques were devised working with that handicap.

One can find these in other creative media too. Novelists writing under oppressive regimes that stamp out anything that's considered amoral to their society. So yes, many best stuffs arise from limitations because it forces you to be extra creative and resourceful than you otherwise need to be.

Whoa there, there's a pretty big difference between other literature and children's cartoons. Those directors and writers did great for what they had, yeah, but are we really comparing their work to a children's cartoon on Nickelodeon? Pretty big difference in mindsets and purposes there Wink

Concentrate on the process, not on the examples. It's the limitations that force them to be creative and resourceful. That process doesn't change no matter the platform.

(BTW, many of those literature are children's literature. Bright minds can't be limited by discounting platforms. Again as Engels said, you're just limited by your talent; other than that, you can work on any platform.)
Trypticon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think I’ll add some thoughts I have on American and Japanese Animation.

I’ve already mentioned that neither is greater or lesser in quality than the other, although I have mentioned that I overall prefer Anime to Western Animation. When I say “overall” I’m thinking about many of the great television cartoons I had watched over the years up to now including a good series like this new MLP show.

I also take the Dreamworks, Disney and Pixar animation into consideration when I think about Western Animation. When I do that, I start to see Anime pale in comparison a little and while I understand that these CG family movies are big budget blockbusters, they are still a part of American Animation, but that’s the general idea that’s up for discussion here.

If I compare television Anime to television Western Animation, I can easily say that I prefer Anime, however; the moment I take my recent viewing of Psycho-Pass, along with many of my top favorite Anime I have watched over the years, then movies like Wreck-It-Ralph, The Toy Story Franchise and Mega Mind into consideration, I can’t say I have a preference at that point.

The CG movies and many of these Anime are well made, the content is mature on both yet they offer different material and executions. That’s why when I look at my top favorite Anime shows and my favorite big budget American CG animations; it ties. I get the same level of satisfaction from both; they evoke the same emotional and intellectual response from me, yet they’re apples and oranges.

Honestly, I can’t take Fate/Zero and compare it to Wreck-It-Ralph and say one is better let alone state a preference between the two. They both bring something different to the table in terms of presentation and execution, yet I think both are absolutely, must see, outstanding pieces of work.

Now, this isn’t a knock against American Animation, but there is one issue that American Animation suffers from and it’s not the animation itself that’s the problem; it’s how people in North America generally perceive animation. The reason a majority of American Animation ends up being family or children’s programming with the “mature” stuff being along the lines of crude humor, is best said from the commentary on one of my Fullmetal Alchemist Blu-rays. I can’t remember the quote word for word or even which voice actor said it, but he said something along the lines that people in North America look down at animation as the jester of entertainment; it’s supposed to be funny, and silly and for young kids while “serious” material should be live action.

So, the content and the target audience of a lot of American Animation is the result of the way a majority of people in North America perceive animation in general and the people creating the content understand this.

This doesn’t by any means make American Animation inferior to Anime, because, despite many shows being family or children’s shows; there is still mature content in the form of themes and ideas being explored. If you ask me, it takes a great deal more skill to write and create an inclusive family production as opposed to a show that accommodates a niche audience. I’ve also already said that I do get a lot of the same intellectual and emotional responses with my favorite American Animations and Anime.

I still objectively say that American Animation has far more variation in character design than Anime. I agree that anime does have variation, but much of this variation is light tweaking of the same physical traits shared by most other Anime characters.

At the end of the day, Anime and American Animation are so different it comes down to what a person wants or is in the mood to watch at a given time.
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then You still see a lot of stuff in Japan you'll never see here and I take that as a sign that it's easier to admit to liking One Piece than it is My Little Pony Laughing Manga being so widespread there compared to comics here no doubt helps that.

Of course it is. One Piece is the biggest thing there and it doesn't have a fandom with a rather infamous reputation. A better comparison would be to something like say Spongebob where pretty much everyone admits to watching that (as to why I have no clue). Nevertheless though while their comic culture is pretty big you're still looked at as weird if you're older than a middle schooler and still watch anime not named One Piece or something else mainstream.

Jave wrote:

Just a lil observation is all. Toy commercials are the most apparent difference to me. Some of the most complex and highly regarded anime out there are toy commercials, but here it seems like they are given the most barebones treatment put into them. Comparing Ben 10 to Kamen Rider, or Chaotic to Yu-Gi-Oh. I find there's a pretty big difference in their execution and effort put into them in how they present their product. They possess much more complex characters and storylines which I enjoy.

Interesting tidbit on Avatar though. Could be something they just said not to anger big papa Nickelodeon though. Laughing If it is true though it means they purposely made a show about war with no real violence in it. Seems incredibly disingenuous to the subject to me, but I guess that was the result either way.

As much of a mess as Ben 10's continuity is at the moment, the franchise has done some heavy stuff from time to time and while a lot of Japan's toyetic stuff can also get pretty heavy it can also come off as extremely goofy. I do watch those shows from time to time and some of them do have compelling stuff but it's pretty clear how seriously they're actually meant to be taken.

As for Avatar while the war is part of the set-up for the story it's pretty clearly just the set-up and it's in no way supposed to be an accurate depiction of war any more than the current war going on in Naruto where everyone's fighting friggin ninja zombies. Wheh it comes to what the show is actually is which is a coming-of-story it delivers pretty well in that area and while the war stuff could be handled better it generally doesn't shy away from going to dark places any more than most shonen stuff does.

Jave wrote:

Apparently we are. As said earlier while censorship is more of an issue here than in Japan, a lot of smart creators have found good ways around that and whoever the show is technically targeted at doesn't really take away from that. Adventure Time is techincally for children but the show's managed to tackle things like gender identity issues and fairly realistic depictions of dementia just fine.

Jave wrote:

Well ya gotta keep in mind quality is subjective. Y'all can insult Hollywood as much as you want, but only a grump would say it's a dead industry. Don't like Avengers or Iron Man? That's fine, not everyone's cup o tea, but to deny their popularity is silly Laughing Anime's the same way. Hundreds a show a year is objectively better than ten just because more variety and types leads to a higher chance people will find something they like.

I can agree with this to an extent since variety is pretty important at the end of the day but it can also lead to some absolute bottom of the barrel stuff and I've had the displeasure of seeing some anime that have made even the dumbest western stuff look like gold in comparison.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Masaaki Yuasa has always been one of my favorite animators, so I'm glad to see him getting so much recognition lately. I can't believe nothing by him has been released in the US yet. Funimation is leaving money on the table.

Perhaps it'll take a "couch gag" before we can see some ground taken.

More than likely he was paid to do it. Not really uncommon for American companies to pay Japanese people/companies to animate their stuff to cash in on the anime craze. Hell, not the first time Yuasa himself specifically was hired to direct a western cartoon

Thinking of Osamu Dezaki having worked on Mighty Orbots just now.

Quote:
Though at least these guys made sure to ask someone by name. I remember when those Legend of Korra guys hired Studio Pierrot to animate Korra. I bet they thought they'd get people like Gorou Sessha, Hiroyuki Yamashita, and Seiko Asai all onboard animating their show. Instead they got Pierrot's B and C team and it looked weak Rolling Eyes Bit of a flub on Nickelodeon's part for not ensuring they got Pierrot's A tier animators with that contract.

Ha-HAW!
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I agree at the end of the day all media comes down to personal preference.

But I also agree that to any individual in any genre/medium there can be a decent chunk of content that doesn't appeal to them.

To me personally from a visual, story & entertainment perspective toons like AT, Steven & MLP are better/more satisfying to watch then a lot of anime.

But at the same time shows like Tatami Galaxy & One Piece are more visually stimulating & satisfying to watch then a lot of American media & other things.

I agree, At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Adventure Time is techincally for children but the show's managed to tackle things like gender identity issues and fairly realistic depictions of dementia just fine.

I don't recall gender identity issues in Adventure Time, unless perhaps it was perhaps a joke I missed.

I presume by dementia you mean the Ice King? I don't really see how that is a big deal. especially given how silly and harmless he is portrayed as. It is not as if he is an insane shounen villain who tend to go mad after some horrific incident like their village being slaughtered.

My only issues with censorship in the west is when it hinders the story. This is usually the case with action cartoons where villains will never kill or even hurt the heroes or civilians. Evil armies will go out of their way to ensure there is no causalities and to take prisoners even if it's completely improbable and unrealistic to do so as there is no feasible way for them to hold the prisoners at the time. Other issues like bladed weapons like swords and bow/arrow unable to be used also raises the question of why they even exist in the show, or why characters are created who's powers or fighting style revolve around them. When the censorship starts intruding on the show like that is when I have issue. That is mainly why I stick to watching comedy cartoons like Simpsons and South Park. Action cartoons seem entirely pointless with those restrictions, not to mention almost none of them ever get a proper ending due to cancellation, where as with comedy it does not really matter if they get cancelled suddenly.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
It only really hinders the story if you think graphic violence or death automagically make a better/more mature narrative.

Shows like Generator Rex, Spectacular Spider-Man & Sym-Bionic Titan still managed to be great programs despite any restrictions.

I do agree though it sucks that most action toons get treated so poorly by most blocks/networks these days. Sad And that they don't always get to finish their stories. Crying or Very sad
Trypticon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
It only really hinders the story if you think graphic violence or death automagically make a better/more mature narrative.

Precisely; as a matter of fact, especially with anime, sometimes when less is shown, be it violence and/or sexuality, it can have more of an impact on the viewer, which means it has greater potential to shock and offend due to possible implications, but on the plus side, it can also better drive the point the producers are trying to convey.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

I can't help but feel you are being apologetic of the issue of endorsing censorship for the sake of sour grapes. This is not an issue that comes up with live-action shows or movies in the west. The inclusion of death in prime time dramas or Hollywood movies is never questioned. However, when it comes to animation, suddenly death is considered too graphic? An issue like death should not be taboo in the slightest bit, nor should it even be an issue at all. It is a natural occurrence and something everyone will face in their lives. To ignore it, and any other consequences of actions that could occur within a narrative, would be the truly immature thing to do.

You're free to like those cartoons if you wish, but considering the source material of Spider-Man, a show unable to deal with the issues will be put at a disadvantage compared to the comic books and the live-action movies which are free to do as they please. Something a simple as death should not be demonized.

In the case of action cartoons, where the primary focus is on action, then yes, it does make for a better narrative when said actions are allowed to merit consequence. The result of allowing death in a show does not exclude the choice of not showcasing death in your show. However, in western animation, there is no choice, which is the primary failing they have when it comes to these sorts of shows. There is no choice at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8