• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Me, Myself, and Yourself

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I was led to believe that the cover that Sentai used, with the yuri scene, didn't represent the series. I'm expecting a show that puts the SciFi/Fantasy first and the "Strawberry Panic" second and this column is leading me to believe that I should expect the opposite.
If that's all you're worried about you absolutely don't have to worry. Especially for the 2nd half which is pretty much devoid of yuri/yaoi, and I'll just leave it at that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
this is the first from the new world review that does not mention fanservice and lesbians at all,, though I am nor sure if it's becuase those elements were sanitized for the tv series or because the reviewer did not find them worth mentioning.

Eh, you know, I originally had a ton of things I wanted to say about "sex" in general in FTNW, including the bit about basically engineering them to diffuse stress through sex, and all the bonobo stuff, and the implications of the various sexual relationships, but I think the tome that could be written about it would be better suited for a full-length review. I didn't think just mentioning the yuri elements would really do their inclusion justice in the grand scheme of the show.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:24 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I guess with the incest bit, spoiler[we don't know for sure that the twins actually did it, though when we see them holding hands 10 years later, we know they're at least still very close. But maybe they're just like... in love, without boning.]

That is so cute. And it's the same thing in Yosuga no Sora ... no, no, that one wasn't spineless.

I saw Myself, Yourself but oddly enough, I didn't care for the violin aspect. The incest? Didn't bother me.

I'm still stuck on From a New World episode 8. I still haven't gotten over my main disappointment in how unconnected that fantastic prologue is; You could as very well say Elfen Lied is the prologue world for how much the world changes. Or K-On!.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, is Myself;Yourself the father of all those animes with semicolons in the title? Wink

Oh, and by the way, how good is the English dub for From The New World? Confused
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Out of curiosity, is Myself;Yourself the father of all those animes with semicolons in the title? Wink

Myself;Yourself is unrelated to what I assume are the other semicolon titles you are referring to, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, and Robotic;Notes (too much punctuation!!!). Myself;Yourself came out first by a few months, but is by a different company than the 3 I mentioned.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ack, is that so? I already had my doubts when asking that, since the review for M;Y doesn't mention anything sci-fi. All drama.

My bad, and thanks for the clear-up! Smile
king 47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:

I guess with the incest bit, spoiler[we don't know for sure that the twins actually did it, though when we see them holding hands 10 years later, we know they're at least still very close. But maybe they're just like... in love, without boning.]

Well, this show didn't shove it down our throats like most recent anime. And no one was screaming onii-chan repeatedly, it was just spoiler[ a small scene with hand holding ]. So it was easy to look past it. But I can't help but feel that it was shoehorned there for shock value, like some other elements in the show.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
From the New World is worth watching all the way to the end. The ending is one of the most powerful endings in recent memory. There were some confusing tidbits scattered throughout, but overall I really enjoyed this series. It is a shame that so much was overlooked from the books but the end result is still powerful.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
As I've said before, the incest part in Myself;Yourself was a nod to the original game's story arc in which spoiler[Shuu confesses love to Shuri in a really sad, but touching scene.] I don't see why the hints toward incest have to be a problem. They're two people who love each other and can't help it. And honestly, it's only hinted strongly in the anime, nothing is ever shown besides hand holding.

Also, Sana is not afraid of knives- he is afraid of blood.

Also also, I would definitely put Myself;Yourself on the collection shelf. It's an awesome anime, and one of my favorites. I own all 7 Japanese DVD volumes (had bought them all right before the licensing announcement).
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
GVman wrote:

The bland art and animation is half the reason why I dropped; I became physically angry at the show's heavy reliance on CGI, bland abstract imagery, and inappropriate close-ups to hide how poorly-drawn the everything was were and how poor the animation was. What did you see in the art that drew you in?

Oh great. I have this on my shelf but I haven't watched it yet and since I've often found myself thinking along similar lines while watching other shows I'm now leery about this one. The latter 2 were fixed on the bluray, right?

It was omnipresent throughout the show; I doubt they could fix it unless the remade the whole thing. Granted, it could be just a "me" thing.

ANN_Bamboo wrote:

Eh, you know, I originally had a ton of things I wanted to say about "sex" in general in FTNW, including the bit about basically engineering them to diffuse stress through sex, and all the bonobo stuff, and the implications of the various sexual relationships, but I think the tome that could be written about it would be better suited for a full-length review. I didn't think just mentioning the yuri elements would really do their inclusion justice in the grand scheme of the show.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Good choice.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
this is the first from the new world review that does not mention fanservice and lesbians at all,, though I am nor sure if it's becuase those elements were sanitized for the tv series or because the reviewer did not find them worth mentioning.

That's the manga. Both the anime and manga are based on a novel. The manga has fairly graphic lesbian sex as fanservice (and I believe the yaoi/BL/whatevertheproperterminologyis was removed from that version) that is basically impossible to ignore in reviewing it, but that is not in the anime. From what I understand, it's not that it was sanitized for TV, but that the manga cranked it up.

I dropped it after that episode, but not because of the presence of yaoi/yuri. Instead, I was annoyed that it Saki spent the entire episode eying the guy (Shun?). At least they pretended the guys were both into each other, but I don't think Saki spent any time with Maria in which she didn't appear to be longing for the guy instead. The show had been losing me already at that point, that was just the last straw. In any case, there's a bit of same sex snuggling and I think kissing in that episode and that's about it, so that's why it's not even particularly worth mentioning in a review of the anime.
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:00 am Reply with quote
Bamboo, thank you for putting into words my ambivalence regarding FTNW. I think I'm more upset by FTNW since I had such high expectations that it failed to meet in comparison to decent series that I only expected to be average. I wasn't crazy about the art but my main problem was with the poor handling of potentially interesting storylines that never lived up to their potential. I wanted to learn more about the world, but not through the eyes of such boring characters.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
sakurahitagi wrote:
Bamboo, thank you for putting into words my ambivalence regarding FTNW. I think I'm more upset by FTNW since I had such high expectations that it failed to meet in comparison to decent series that I only expected to be average. I wasn't crazy about the art but my main problem was with the poor handling of potentially interesting storylines that never lived up to their potential. I wanted to learn more about the world, but not through the eyes of such boring characters.

Wait, are we talking about Psycho-pass here? Wink
sakurahitagi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
sakurahitagi wrote:

Wait, are we talking about Psycho-pass here? Wink

I actually liked Psycho Pass and bought it, but to each their own. I admit I wish more of the side characters in Psycho Pass were developed but I felt it had more interesting characters overall and better handled its ambitious plot threads. For some reason FTNW left me cold. It's not a bad series or anything, but I have no desire to rewatch it.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Ack, is that so? I already had my doubts when asking that, since the review for M;Y doesn't mention anything sci-fi. All drama.

My bad, and thanks for the clear-up! Smile

They do all have a theme song by Itou Kanako though Wink

Oh, and I like FTNW, although I have yet to finish it. i believe I'm halfway through it. I actually like the art style, its simple but abstract. The music's great too. Although the whole rat business felt really out of place. Yamato sounds interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4