• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Me, Myself, and Yourself

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I watch CR in 720p on my computer. Most anime is shot at that resolution to begin with, so 1080p releases are upscales. For the best quality, I use my PS3.

I have no problems with CR in 720p even connected to my 55" HDTV. I have more issues with stuttering and similar problems, but those are network issues not the resolution or my computer. I avoid CR between 4pm and 11pm weekdays in the US because of congestion. On the PS3, these problems seem less severe; perhaps there's a different set of servers involved.

Not all HD is equal, sadly. Normally I can begrudgingly accept the Crunchy quality but when FTNW started "sending signals" that it was a visual series I got leery and when I saw heavy banding-an unintended artifact-in an aura-esque radiance from a character in Episode One I knew that I wouldn't properly enjoy the show on CR as I'd be constantly irked by the quality. The path that a HD Purist is fated to walk is not an easy one Rolling Eyes Laughing
Quote:
Sentai wants to sell discs, so naturally...[their] cover art targets someone standing in front of a Best Buy rack trying to choose something to watch.

If only there were Sentai releases in my local best buys.
kotomikun wrote:

I'd guess what they meant was that it isn't just a preachy diatribe about why a certain societal structure is bad and you should feel bad.

I do like this sort of thing, a morally ambiguous story, so this gets my hope up for the show.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
As far as I've heard, the relationships were used purely for control purposes and were basically institutionalized Class-S.

No, it's deeper than that. Rather than telling us what you've heard, maybe you should watch the show first.

That's basically an example of the complaint I expressed before about the nature of most anime discussions. Lots of comments based on rumors or things people "heard" about a show. In general I don't express opinions about shows I have not seen. I wish others would do the same.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

As far as I've heard, the relationships were used purely for control purposes and were basically institutionalized Class-S. And there's nothing progressive or tolerant about that, it's the idea that "it's just a phase" during adolescence and people will eventually move on to become part of a heterosexual relationship and family.
That's definitely not what I got from the 2nd half of the series. While I won't claim SSY tried to be progressive on the issue, I think summing it up as just another kind of Class-S is needlessly reductive and besides the point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raneth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Raneth wrote:
It's the first work I've seen where a dystopia is not treated as a black and white concept.

What do you mean by this?

I'm late (work sucks) and others have already explained it for me, but basically the dystopian society is not presented as an evil enterprise that the MC must defeat. spoiler[As the show goes on, the MC becomes part of the society and for the most part upholds its ideals, despite some horrors she's witnessed.]

Echo_City wrote:
Raneth wrote:
It's a show that explores a world more than all of the characters in it--a world where...everyone is bisexual...

The review mentions that the show takes place in a rigorously controlled and engineered society. Does the show give a reason for why everyone is a "switch-hitter"? If not I'll be disappointed.

Yes, there is a reason. spoiler[In a fairly lengthy info-dump early on, it's revealed that humanity's genetic makeup has been melded with that of bonobos (which are primates known for their bisexual activities), resulting in a society of bisexuality where tension and aggression are released through sexual contact, regardless of the sex of the individuals.] Despite this, and despite the manga, the sexuality aspect of the world is not elaborated upon for most of the show. There is one episode that establishes this as part of the world after the info dump, and from then on other events take precedence.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I usually agree with Bamboo but I guess you can agree all the time and well From the New World was definitely worthy of my shelf.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
As far as I've heard, the relationships were used purely for control purposes and were basically institutionalized Class-S.

No, it's deeper than that. Rather than telling us what you've heard, maybe you should watch the show first.

That's basically an example of the complaint I expressed before about the nature of most anime discussions. Lots of comments based on rumors or things people "heard" about a show. In general I don't express opinions about shows I have not seen. I wish others would do the same.

Then feel free to correct it. I saw part of it, I made it clear that I saw only part of it earlier in the thread and made it clear here that I wasn't basing it on what I saw myself. I generally don't talk about shows unless I feel I saw enough to get a grasp on the issues being discussed. There is certainly an issue with people acting like authorities on things they didn't watch (at all or in their entirety) is an issue, but it's equally silly to suggest that people shouldn't express an opinion or otherwise talk about something that they only partially saw. If they have a particular stake in the argument, there words obviously just shouldn't carry as much weight.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but your posting referred to what you had heard, not what you had seen. If your comments were based on the parts of the show that you watched, then say so. There was no evidence that your comments in the posting to which I replied were based on actual viewing of Shin Sekai Yori. The relevant material appeared in episode four. I don't think it was unreasonable of me to read your comments as indicating you had watched little or nothing of this show.

Certainly there was nothing in the show to suggest the relationships depicted had anything to do with the "Class-S" genre of story where girls crush on other girls, often in a non-sexual way. In fact there are both male and female homosexual relationships depicted in Shin Sekai Yori and heterosexual ones spoiler[like Shun and Saki in the boat and the aborted encounter between Saki and Satoru in the tree] suggested as well.

You can't expect everyone to review an entire thread before commenting on a particular posting. I do my best to try and recall prior postings before commenting in a thread, but everyone's memories are fallible.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:

As far as I've heard, the relationships were used purely for control purposes and were basically institutionalized Class-S. And there's nothing progressive or tolerant about that, it's the idea that "it's just a phase" during adolescence and people will eventually move on to become part of a heterosexual relationship and family.
That's definitely not what I got from the 2nd half of the series. While I won't claim SSY tried to be progressive on the issue, I think summing it up as just another kind of Class-S is needlessly reductive and besides the point.

It is besides the point, because Shin Sekai Yori does not intend to moralize about our current issues. What we find progressive here and now is probably not even relevant in that society, which has different issues, different values, different behavioural models and even people with different genetic makeup. So even if they had something comparable to Class-S situation, complaining about it from our own standpoint would be pointless.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 am Reply with quote
So if there are two girls or guys kissing,we immediately classify that situation as fanservice?That sounds really stupid to me.It is quite obvious that homosexual pairings in Shin Sekai Yori weren't created to satisfy either otaku or fujioshi. Does "Blue Is the Warmest Colour" have a lot of fanservice moments?Gee that thing has sex scenes with lesbians,what are possible intent could have the creators had besides getting people to jack off to those scenes.
jree78

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
There was a specific reasons for the homosexual relationships in the show: spoiler[One it was a way for adolescents to relieve their stress it seems they were engineered to be only homosexual during their teenage years by design. Two the other reason they were designed that way is to eliminate the chance of reproduction among teenagers. Third all the teenagers have some kind of homosexual relationships when they are younger. Fourth when they are past a certain age they develop heterosexual relationships, otherwise their society would die off. Finally they do this because they are trying to prevent one of the students to be a "Sandy Hook killer" (totally crazy psychopath) using psychokinesis. This is a small aspect of what they do to prevent a kid from going nuts.]
acetatsujin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Myself; Yourself is one of the very, very best anime out there. Excellent in many ways and no miracles involved. I love this type of series. I've watched it many times and I hold it very dear to me.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Here I am, late to the party again. All I know about "From the New World" is the title is from Dvorak's 9th symphony, but from what people are saying it suffers a problem common to a lot of anime - lack of relatable characters.

I've been previewing a lot of series lately, and this does seem to be the main thing that makes me cross off most titles, including Myself Yourself (saw 1st ep). The set-up was obviously supposed to be intriguing, but the characters weren't distinctive or interesting, just walking plot points. Also, as Bamboo points out, the whole thing seems really plodding and prosaic despite the supposed dramatic content.

The Yamato movie (whole thing is on yt) has the problem of a lot of Japanese genre movies, which is the director seems to have no real sense of drama. I get the feeling they get promoted to the position for reasons of precedence rather than flair, and generally show as much real story-telling as if they were just shooting a gameshow. I understand getting directing experience in Japan is really difficult, but still.... The end result is two hours of bad acting on overlit sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4