• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YTV Applies To Launch Anime Channel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChoukouMegami

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
This could be a good thing IF
a) the station isn't just anime on demand (Pay Per View)
b) YTV keeps it's Friday anime block (with new material) for those who don't get the channel or can't afford it
c) the channel provides sufficent new material rather than just being filled with repeats of already aired shows
d) the channel doesn't become another MTV, that is it doesn't just become filled with talk shows about anime (to fill it's CanCon) but actually shows substancial amounts of it
e) the channel is packaged in a way so that at least some homes will get it as part of an existing package, otherwise it may be difficult to get enough subscribers
f) the channel is available to all services, not just digital cable but both satellite systems as well (as a category 2 it won't be on basic cable)
g) YTV's Friday night anime block actually airs full seasons, not just the first season (or part of it), requiring that those interested in the show subscribe to the new channel to catch the rest
h) the station runs more than just what has been shown in the US (though there are still shows that the US has seen that Canada hasn't)

Of course if such a station goes through it could mean the continuation of shows such Case Closed and Ghost in the Shell, both of which don't exactly fit YTV's profile.

I agree with most of those. ^^ I hope it will be available to satellite because I dont' get cable out in the boonies where I am. >.>
deepon05

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I live in the States and I wanna see an anime channel as well. I use satelite and if this falls through, I'll definitely order the channel nd pay my parents for it.

See we Americans are not all bad.[/code]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Uh... it will be a national network in Canada. There is nothing to indicate if they would expand to the U.S. as well. So you probably won't get it in the U.S.

Maybe if it proves to be really popular here they'll consider it -- but you never know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tripperdan99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
((Where's the REPLY Button!!!))

Great to hear it. Of course it makes sense to say "Adult" because a lot of the difference in culture makes the stuff that Japan runs as every day seem very edgy here in North America (US & GWN). That way we shouldn't have to worry about Disco Guns and lots of editing.

Would be nice if they have it on DirecTV... I would certainly spring for the extra expense.
pyro26

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see this go through but I seriously doubt it some anime are pretty blooding and them tend to be the best ones so and others show alot of cosplay (not that its bad but YTV is a childrens network and the FCC or whoever controls Canadian tv sensership might say no) because of that I'm sure it wouldn't be the same even if it was accepted. I'm a huge anime fan and I'd probably watch it regardless but still it'd be better to download it and read the subtitles if that were the case.
Damonloveless

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
ok i only have 1 thing to say. This channel is the future of programming for us canadians. It has been many years since the airing of the first anime in canada. and now we are on the verge of obtaining an actual channel dedicated to the shows. I for one am 100% behind this. and as for the whole Adult thing. I say that it should be ok. Razer has Basilisk, samurai 7, and trinity blood. and those shows are for a mature audience.(exspecially Basilisk). CRTC has to realize that the eastern programming is in high demand over here.
Defiant7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Kintaroooooo wrote:
I think Shaw Cable users are the ones with the LEAST to fear, given the fact that YTV was owned by Shaw before, so I think things would happen more easily there.

Shaw did not own YTV, Shaw was once owned by Corus, which is the parent company of YTV. Since Shaw was spun off into a separate company I do not think they would receive any kind of preferential treatments. To get a channel like this off the ground they would need as many subscribers as possible so I would imagine it would be made available to what ever network or company that wants to carry it.
Kintaroooooo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
^^My bad, then.

I guess that anyone can carry it now, without real problems.
incinarae

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote
I don't think there's any way YTV would drop it's regular anime block, it is by far their most successful one. If anything, they'll keep it there to cross-promote the new channel.
I'm really excited about this news - it's about damn time Canada got its own anime channel, India has one, for God's sake! Also, there have been a number on anime YTV has picked up from Cartoon Network that have been much more successful here than they were Stateside, including Gundam, so it would be good to have more avenues for more kinds of anime. Especially if it means FINALLY getting some shojo on the air! I love my shonen too, but I think the expansion of anime and manga in North America would get a huge boost if something like the upcoming Paradise Kiss would get on air.
YTV still doesn't show enough anime, in my opinion, and anime is a dropped ball that Teletoon has no intention of acknowledging. I am concerned that this will be a digital cable thing, but I think I would go ahead and get digital for this.

Then they can give Kirby Morrow and Scott MacNeil a whole show just to fill out their Canadian content laws . . . mmmmm yeah . . .
Belenzie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
i like some others initially thought that the public announcement was a weather warning but actually it was the best news ever.....or in my case it will be if it goes through and is accessable through Bell-expressvu, preferably free (i got razor for free so why not anime channel?Smile and if not then i will prolly be moving in with my - cogeco cable owning best friend Smile
TAKAVAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
hah, i'll even change my cable provider if i have to, to get the new channel when its out! i just like the idea of watching anime and anime related programs on my TV, withought a DVD or a computer hooked up to it.
Ztarr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Teletoon seems to be a really good supporter of Canadian content, and small shows that other channels wouldn't pick up. I wish they would make more Undergrads and Clone High.

An all anime channel sounds great...although I must admit I'm sick and tired of InuYasha, Naruto, and Full Metal Alchemist.
Zinjo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
Here is how to make yourself heard online.

Go to this link:

http://support.crtc.gc.ca/rapidscin/default.aspx?lang=en&applicant=n2006-10

Select the YTV radio button (check mark) and click on the next button at the bottom of the page.

It will prompt you through the process. You can make written comments supporting the channel and then afterward you will be prompted for your name, address, etc... (be honest, the last thing we need is for the CRTC to consider the fans a bunch of flakes).

You will get the option to submit your name to appear in person, beware, they just may call on you to appear, so be ready if you are serious.

Then follow the online prompts and you are done.

Your comments will appear on the CRTC website with regard to the YTV petition.

Tell your friends, your local anime club, whoever may want to support such a channel!

Last edited by Zinjo on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Zinjo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ztarr wrote:
Teletoon seems to be a really good supporter of Canadian content, and small shows that other channels wouldn't pick up. I wish they would make more Undergrads and Clone High.

An all anime channel sounds great...although I must admit I'm sick and tired of InuYasha, Naruto, and Full Metal Alchemist.

Teletoon has already officially stated that it will never run anime shows on that channel, eventhough the hypocrites claim to be a channel that airs "international" animated programming.

The Anime channel will not run kids shows, it is geared toward the mature and adult anime market, shows like Ergo proxy, Evnagelion, Gankutsuou and Cowboy Bebop, would find a home there, as well as the more adult themed animated movies, that you wouldn't want you kids seeing.
Jay Navi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I did it!!!!!! Yay me! I said I was in favour of the proposal so I really hope the CRTC will put it through. *crosses fingers*

Also, when you go to that website that was posted a couple posts ago, you have to click on the button that says "2006-10". and then follow what it says. ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5