• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Cavalry Call

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:21 am Reply with quote
This is the first time I've heard of Child of Light, and it looks a bit off putting to me. I do not like the art style any more here than I did in the newer Rayman games. It looks cheap and unrefined, like a Flash cartoon.

The battle system also looks very shallow as well. It looks akin to South Park The Stick of Truth. You can tell those games are trying to be like old school Japanese RPGs, but the issue is those battle systems were far more in-depth than these recreations are. South Park's problem was it was too easy. Nothing was a challenge at all and it was unfortunately broken. Very limited amount of abilities and equipment. Child of Light gets a bit more of a pass given it's only 15 dollars, but South Park being a full price game made it a bit too hard to forgive.

I think both games are utilizing the 'JRPG combat' as nothing more than a vehicle for the presentation. In South Park it felt a bit tacked on and it was clear the focus was more on the comedy and dialog than the combat. Here, outside of the combat Child of Light looks no real different than your typical indie platform game. That's just my thoughts, though. I don't think it really works to call them JRPGs even if we ignore the Japanese aspect of the definition. Like those cartoons out there which try to be like anime, there's a clear distinction between the two and you can always pick out an imitation over the real deal. Whether it's a matter of cultural and industry upbringing or not, there's just certain aspects that can not be recreated.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
The cause for Western-Japanese RPG schism (at least between players)? Isn't it no less than 'nerd tribalism'?

Because once the two blocks are formed, this question would often -if not always- come next: "Which side are you on?"
(No, there's no such thing as "I like both." You'd be immediately ostracized as 'casual player')

And... voila! This eventually leads into "Comrades, let us degrade that other side! Our games are much more superior than theirs!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2014/041614a.html

Child of Light reminds us of htoL#NiQ:

With a bit of Journey:

Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
When the Japanese started using the term JRPG the whole argument became moot IMO.

Emerje

That kusoge factory used that as their self-publishing label in an attempt to "save" JRPG.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
kusoge is a strong word. They've made some ok games. Even Black Rock Shooter isn't that bad. The Last Ranker is really good. Arc Rise Fantasia may be butchered in the west, but the underlying game is actually pretty good. The 7th Dragon Series is pretty fantastic. Sol Trigger from what I can tell is also decent.

Sure 7th and Last Ranker can be attributed to who they were working with and Time and Eternity is pretty awful. Yet, they still made some decent games with pretty decent production values. I'd sure take a imageepoch game before anything with NIS's name on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
The cause for Western-Japanese RPG schism (at least between players)? Isn't it no less than 'nerd tribalism'?

Because once the two blocks are formed, this question would often -if not always- come next: "Which side are you on?"
(No, there's no such thing as "I like both." You'd be immediately ostracized as 'casual player')

And... voila! This eventually leads into "Comrades, let us degrade that other side! Our games are much more superior than theirs!"

Or maybe some people just don't really like one Wink Nothin' wrong with having preferences
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
The cause for Western-Japanese RPG schism (at least between players)? Isn't it no less than 'nerd tribalism'? Because once the two blocks are formed, this question would often -if not always- come next: "Which side are you on?" (No, there's no such thing as "I like both." You'd be immediately ostracized as 'casual player') And... voila! This eventually leads into "Comrades, let us degrade that other side! Our games are much more superior than theirs!"

Or maybe some people just don't really like one Wink Nothin' wrong with having preferences

I'm sure some people do indeed just not really like one. But I'm also sure those people don't constantly ejaculate their whiny dismissive disdain for WRPGs all over the forum. Just something to think about.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
I honestly have no idea if Child of Light will turn out to be anything special, but considering the quality and price of the Deluxe Edition being released in Europe, I have no qualms about pre-ordering it. I'm shocked the US doesn't appear to be getting its own equivalent. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/06/child-of-lights-deluxe-edition-includes-ps3ps4-cross-buy-option

I would have gotten this, but the lack of a physical game dissuaded me.

I honestly wasn't that bothered by the lack of physical disk. Unlike recent similar full-game releases that have done the same (cough-drakengard 3-cough), I never went into Child of Light expecting it to be anything other than a indie download game, that would have to be purchased at similar price. That they decided to release a package with physical extras feels more like a bonus than anything. If it costs roughly £5-7 more than the game is worth on the psn, then I'll consider it more than a worthwhile deal.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:
fathomlessblue wrote:
I honestly have no idea if Child of Light will turn out to be anything special, but considering the quality and price of the Deluxe Edition being released in Europe, I have no qualms about pre-ordering it. I'm shocked the US doesn't appear to be getting its own equivalent. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/06/child-of-lights-deluxe-edition-includes-ps3ps4-cross-buy-option

I would have gotten this, but the lack of a physical game dissuaded me.

I obviously wasn't that bothered by the lack of physical disk. Unlike recent similar full-game releases that have done the same (cough-drakengard 3-cough), I never went into Child of Light expecting it to be anything other than a indie download game, that would have to be purchased at similar price. That they decided to release a package with physical extras feels more like a bonus than anything. If it costs roughly £5-7 more than the game is worth on the psn, then I'll consider it more than a worthwhile deal.

I heard about Drakengard 3. Question though, why didn't you just order the US release, which includes a physical disc in the limited edition?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I heard about Drakengard 3. Question though, why didn't you just order the US release, which includes a physical disc in the limited edition?

To be honest, I'm really not bothered about Drakengard 3, and have no real interest in picking it up. It's more an example of disliking full-retail games being dlc only, but having elaborate collector's editions. For a game like Child of Light, I can see why on file size alone it wouldn't really be justifiable putting it onto a disk. It's a smaller indie title, and style of release and price point reflects that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3