• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Stress Eating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakura Shinguji

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Justin, maybe I'm wrong, or you know something I don't, but as far as I understood, Manga Entertainment (or, in its present form, as a little-used label under the Starz umbrella) was and still is the nominal North American licensee for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, while Bandai Entertainment was involved in a cooperative role for licensing and, primarily, production purposes. So, whether or not Manga is still paying for new production runs of the existing discs (which I think they are, rather than the market simply being still inundated with existing stock), the series is still under an active licensing agreement, and so no one else is going to get it until Manga lets that license lapse, whenever that may be. And, additionally, until such time as that comes about, it's up to Manga to choose to license the Blu-ray rights and release the series on Blu-ray in North America.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I'd definitely buy a SAC Blu-Ray set, especially for 2nd Gig. Love those.

I'd probably double-dip on both Haruhi and Lucky Star Blu-Ray sets, even though Lucky Star apparently is only an upscale. Kadokawa can be hard to deal with though, so I'm not counting on either being picked up.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
Yep, I'd definitely buy a SAC Blu-Ray set, especially for 2nd Gig. Love those.

I wouldn't, not if they were like the limited US blurays of SAC that have already been released. Upscales Sad

Is it even possible to get native HD (or full HD, this is 2014 after all) video of SAC without having the whole series remade?

I had this hope that the Japanese had possessed enough foresight to have done all of their digital animation in a sort of "vector graphics" format where going from one resolution to the next would be accomplished with a few mouse clicks and wouldn't be an upscale. Click a mouse a few times, maybe add in some new detail that the higher resolution affords, and be good to go with new video. Of course, that's not how the Japanese did it Sad
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry about the Aya Hirano scandal, though. Nobody on the professional end of things follows any of that nonsense.

Does anyone really care about it? It seems like people only bring the topic up to stir the shit.

Well she was dropped by her label and she's been sticking to mostly children's shows like Fairy Tail and Jewelpet. I doubt she'll ever get a leading role in an otaku anime ever again. Haruhi is probably not likely to get another season either.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Aw, SAC is an upscale too? It always seems to happen to my favorite anime...
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:

I bought the 3 blurays for SAC that were released stateside:
The Laughing Man (Season 1)
Solid State Society
Individual 11 (2nd Gig)

Only Solid State Society is listed as being 1080p. The other 2 are listed as 1080i and are just upscales of selected parts of the first and second seasons of SAC. It's like watching an upscaled DVD, similar to Funimation's upscale of Black Lagoon for BD (the one where Funimation told a white lie on the box by stating that the show is "HD Native") Sad
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Because Bandai folded, I feel like we'll never get The Girl Who Lept Through Time on DVD ever again.... Sad
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:

Solid State Society
Individual 11 (2nd Gig)

Only Solid State Society is listed as being 1080p. The other 2 are listed as 1080i and are just upscales of selected parts of the first and second seasons of SAC. It's like watching an upscaled DVD, similar to Funimation's upscale of Black Lagoon for BD (the one where Funimation told a white lie on the box by stating that the show is "HD Native") Sad

Black Lagoon is one too? Damn! That's not the first time Funimation's done something like that from what I've heard, so I shouldn't be too surprised, but that sucks. Maybe I'll finally cave and just pick up the SAC seasons on DVD.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
consignia wrote:
Quote:
Don't worry about the Aya Hirano scandal, though. Nobody on the professional end of things follows any of that nonsense.

Does anyone really care about it? It seems like people only bring the topic up to stir the shit.

Well she was dropped by her label and she's been sticking to mostly children's shows like Fairy Tail and Jewelpet. I doubt she'll ever get a leading role in an otaku anime ever again. Haruhi is probably not likely to get another season either.

She did recently have a role in an episode of Space Dandy (as a coffee maker, no less), if that's any consolation.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
her role in kill me baby wa also pretty amazing, as a pilot character who gto fropped for the actual manga/anime.

Jave wrote:
consignia wrote:
Quote:

haruhi is getting "another season" by adapting a nagato centered manga; haruhi is bound ot appear there so we will know who will be the next actress, whether or not we get a legit new season for haruhi depends on how well this series does, as we once tought only kyoani would adapt key' games and then we got jcstaff doing little busters.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I've noticed Hulu's been showing a lot more ads lately. Four per break has become typical; I think it's reached the level of a full half hour for a half-hour anime episode. Guess more ads means more revenue.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:

Solid State Society
Individual 11 (2nd Gig)

Black Lagoon is one too? Damn! That's not the first time Funimation's done something like that from what I've heard, so I shouldn't be too surprised, but that sucks. Maybe I'll finally cave and just pick up the SAC seasons on DVD.

I'd recommend buying the DVDs for 1st Gig & 2nd Gig as they include the whole show while the blurays are compilation OVAs that only contain a rehash of the "plot" episodes of each gig. Since solid state society is a native HD "stand alone" release, a made for TV movie instead of a compilation OVA, the bluray of that might be better than the DVD but the other 2 certainly aren't.
Quote:
I've noticed Hulu's been showing a lot more ads lately. Four per break has become typical; I think it's reached the level of a full half hour for a half-hour anime episode. Guess more ads means more revenue.

Sigh. This does not make me inclined to check out Hulu. If they were "cool" commercials, the ones that are entertaining and well done, then I might not mind but I get boring ads for things that do not apply to me and that's just tedious.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
Quote:

Outside of the sort of Japanese otaku who throw tantrums and destroy their collections when something hey don't like happens (see also: Kannagi), it's pretty much just Sankaku Complex.

Everyone seems to forget that she was also troubled with illness

Greg Aubry wrote:
Despite the ease with which you can get Stand Alone Complex on DVD, there's still that Blu-ray money sitting on the table for whatever licensor picks up the series for hi-def.

Unfortunately it is a lot of blu-ray money. Bandai got burned on reverse imports for the SAC DVDs so they're not giving up the BD rights easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I believe Stand Alone Complex is digital SD, but I'm not totally sure. Has the series been released to BD in Japan?

I'm still waiting on a stateside Blu-ray release of the original film. I mean the ORIGINAL film, not that 2.0 crap (and the version on that BD is just an SD transfer of a Laserdisc copy).

Shay Guy wrote:

I marathoned all 4 episodes of Blue Submarine No. 6 on Hulu. I counted over SIXTY commercials for the whole series.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I believe Stand Alone Complex is digital SD, but I'm not totally sure. Has the series been released to BD in Japan?

Yes, collector's edition BDs have been released in Japan.

Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Justin, maybe I'm wrong, or you know something I don't, but as far as I understood, Manga Entertainment (or, in its present form, as a little-used label under the Starz umbrella) was and still is the nominal North American licensee for Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, while Bandai Entertainment was involved in a cooperative role for licensing and, primarily, production purposes. So, whether or not Manga is still paying for new production runs of the existing discs (which I think they are, rather than the market simply being still inundated with existing stock), the series is still under an active licensing agreement, and so no one else is going to get it until Manga lets that license lapse, whenever that may be. And, additionally, until such time as that comes about, it's up to Manga to choose to license the Blu-ray rights and release the series on Blu-ray in North America.

I can't speak for the US, but I recall a Manga Entertainment podcast from around 6-12 months back, that stated the possibility of releasing a Blu-ray release of SAC in the UK; however, due to high licencing fees, they would have to charge around £35/$60 per 13 episode set (rrp of course: the actual price on Amazon, etc, would be closer to £25/$40). Essentially they would be charging new release prices, not bargain bin or S.A.V.E levels of money. As the tv release of SAC is comprised of two 26 episode seasons, they would have to release four box-sets at this price. I believe they were interested, but weren't convinced enough people would be willing to pay that amount to make the purchase financially viable. For whatever reason, the UK anime market refuses to let go of dvds in favour of BD. Recently Manga admitted less than 20% of their sales actually come from the latter. Many smaller shows are released dvd only, as a BD would simply be a drain on profits.

The last I heard, Manga Entertainment were calling on people who would be willing to pay to drum up support, but I guess the feedback they received didn't reveal enough interest. If they don't author a release, I don't think there's much chance of the US seeing one any time soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4