• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Stress Eating

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm still waiting on a stateside Blu-ray release of the original film. I mean the ORIGINAL film, not that 2.0 crap (and the version on that BD is just an SD transfer of a Laserdisc copy).

Manga UK have a BD steelbook release of the original movie coming up. There's a chance it will be region A+B considering they own the English-language rights in perpetuity (I never got the 2.0 or Innocence BDs, but Solid State Society BD was A,B+C).

I couldn't find it earlier, but here's one of Manga's tweets about SAC BDs:
@MangaUK wrote:
QUESTION: If we could release GITS: SAC Seasons 1 & 2 on Blu-ray, over 4 half seasons sets at the SRP of £34.99 each, would you buy them?^JG

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/324518583210217473
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PCDOS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I've got the UK BD for Innocence, its region A+B from what I can tell.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm still waiting on a stateside Blu-ray release of the original film. I mean the ORIGINAL film, not that 2.0 crap (and the version on that BD is just an SD transfer of a Laserdisc copy).

Manga UK have a BD steelbook release of the original movie coming up. There's a chance it will be region A+B considering they own the English-language rights in perpetuity (I never got the 2.0 or Innocence BDs, but Solid State Society BD was A,B+C).

@MangaUK wrote:
QUESTION: If we could release GITS: SAC Seasons 1 & 2 on Blu-ray, over 4 half seasons sets at the SRP of £34.99 each, would you buy them?^JG

~$235 is just outrageous.

Is mangauk a front for Aniplex?
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anime voice work is a very specific skill, and although a lot of anime nerds think they would make good voice actors, it really is much harder than it looks.

They're such a deluded bunch honestly, just as bad as those folks on DA who think they can make an anime or manga of their own and expect it to sell in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Nowadays the revenues from online streaming are meaningful, sometimes VERY meaningful. Hulu alone pays literally MILLIONS of dollars in revenue to anime companies each month. Netflix licensing fees can be quite substantial, the amount Crunchyroll pays for streaming rights is nothing to sneeze at, and paid download services like iTunes and XBox Live also really add up. These days, the way anime makes money has become very diverse indeed.

With the end of net neutrality, I'd expect the prices to increase.

bin1127 wrote:
Spoofer wrote:
And, if you legitimately have OCPD (as do I), does it bother you when people continue to perpetuate the confusion between the two disorders?

I do think that the majority of people mentions OCD not to highlight a psychological complex they have but merely as a perjorative poke at a personal trait they have. The acronym is common enough, albeit wrong maybe as you point out, that people just use it off the cuff in everyday conversation.

It bothers people who have OCPD ironically. Laughing
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

@MangaUK wrote:

I would definitely consider picking that up. Thanks for letting me know.

One thing: I do hope they keep the original ending credits music. I think some versions just play a reprise of the opening credits song (which I honestly find annoying. I remember my Creative Writing teacher in 12th Grade even had that as his ring tone).

PCDOS wrote:
I've got the UK BD for Innocence, its region A+B from what I can tell.

Does it have the US dub, or only the one done for the UK? I know they have the same casts, but I've heard the redub was a bit better.
PCDOS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
It only has one English track on it, which is presumably the UK dub.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Ghost in the shell SAC and 2nd Gig where released on Blu-Ray in Japan same region as the USA and it has I believe the old Bandai Dub but no English Subtitles. Was released across 3 sets per season for a total of 6 sets for both at 200.00 dollars each. Then re-released 1 set per season at a lower price but not that much lower.

But I believe it was just a upscale and not a HD transfer that and no subtitles killed it for me. Would have imported it at 300-400 a set with subtitles but not 600 plus dollars no way in hell and not in true HD.

I wish someone stateside would license rescue it on Blu-Ray, but the old Bandia DVD's still look pretty good on my HD Flat Screen.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

I think you're missing the point. That's how much they would have to charge if they were to release it, due to licensor demands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

I think you're missing the point. That's how much they would have to charge if they were to release it, due to licensor demands.

Plus that's an estimate based on a pound to dollar conversion of an srp. which companies like Amazon rarely ever charge. In reality the grand total would probably end up between $160-200. For 52 episodes. I honestly don't see what the problem is; it's essentially your standard new 13 episode release price. Sure, the show might be older, but it's generally regarded well enough to be easily justifiable for anyone interested.

If only Anime Limited had the rights for it. Their release of Cowboy Bebop was fantastic. Sigh.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:48 am; edited 2 times in total
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Aww... My question was answered. I feel special. I do still hope that Ghost in the Shell gets some sort of pick up for bluray in the US.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Plus that's an estimate based on a pound to dollar conversion of an srp. which companies like Amazon rarely ever charge. In reality the grand total would probably end up between $160-200. For 52 episodes. I honestly don't see what the problem is; it's essentially your standard new 13 episode release price. Sure, the show might be older, but it's generally regarded well enough to be easily justifiable for anyone interested.

If only Anime Limited had the rights for it. Their release of Cowboy Bebop was fantastic. Sigh.

Only if it were a bona fide HD native release. If it's just a "pre upscaled DVD" type of bluray then it isn't worth anywhere near that amount. Given the hassle of playing back blurays vs dvds, I'd evaluate an upscaled-from-dvd bluray as being worth less than the equivalent DVD sets.
JEArgumedo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Just real quick. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex is NOT an upscale. The compilation films are not upscales either. It's was one of Production IG's first foray into HD animation for TV. They made it for 1080i TV's (1080p wasn't really a thing in 2002) and kept it that way for the Blu-rays so that it wouldn't drop frames.

Manga Entertainment is not simply a licensor, they are a production partner. They apparently do have the HD masters (one look at their YouTube, iTunes and Hulu pages will show GitS in HD) but I guess Bandai Visual doesn't want them put it on Blu-ray in the States since those Blu-rays would be significantly cheaper than Japan's asking price of $200 bucks per 13 episodes.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
If we're listing creators who voice acted in their creations, then Reki Kawahara played a minor bit role in the Accel World anime. He was a horrendously bad actor.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
JEArgumedo wrote:
Just real quick. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex is NOT an upscale. The compilation films are not upscales either. It's was one of Production IG's first foray into HD animation for TV. They made it for 1080i TV's (1080p wasn't really a thing in 2002) and kept it that way for the Blu-rays so that it wouldn't drop frames.

Something about that seems fishy. In a failing of the nomenclature the "1080" doesn't tell us the horizontal resolution so it may well be an upscale on a Full HD TV regardless and if it is 1080i content that has to be deinterlaced then that just makes it that much worse.

I understand that when the interlaced fields are made from severed sequential, "progressive", images that they can be reconstituted by my player without a quality loss (ideally) but for hundreds of dollars and the hurdle of importation that's not something that I should have to contend with.
Adamanto wrote:
If we're listing creators who voice acted in their creations, then Reki Kawahara played a minor bit role in the Accel World anime. He was a horrendously bad actor.

Well at least the man is consistent: he acts like he writes Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4