• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Readers Rank the Best Manga To Read To Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Dizzee wrote:
LMAO this is kinda wrong imo, there's a lot of violence and blood in One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball, also these shows are PG-13.

You horried about those. Barefoot Gen is about the Atomic Bom of Hiroshima and life after the event, and is quite explicit. Why would someone vote that for a story for kids? The only thing that I see is that depicts Japan story.

Here is a part of the anime -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfJZ6nwxD38. Jump to minute 2 to see the explicitness of the event.

You might be underestimating kids' maturity. When I was a kid, my parents often staged family movie nights (they still do when i come back from college), where we watched all kinds of movies, from classics like Singin' in the Rain to comedies like Love and Death. My first R-rated movie was when I was eight or nine--it was called Dead Again, I think.

My (long-winded) point is, my family sometimes watched movies that wouldn't be considered appropriate for kids, but it wasn't like they just played the movie and called it a night. When the movies were over, they talked to me and my sister about some problematic or violent scenes in the movies. They stopped the movie immediately if we got scared, and made sure we understood why certain things in the movies we saw shouldn't be a factor in real life.

So, with things like Barefoot Gen, I think that kids can learn some important lessons about history, as told by someone in their age range, the young main character. Their parents should be ready to discuss the content and why it matters--things we see when we're young can have a huge impact on our lives later, but that can be positive or negative depending on events surrounding the material.

Anyway, after seeing so many news articles about Japanese libraries trying to ban Barefoot Gen or trying to ignore World War 2, it makes me happy that it's so high on the list. It likely means that Japanese families are aware of how important it is, and why it shouldn't be brushed under the rug "for the children's sake."
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
TG72 wrote:
I think Aria would be a good selection, too. It's not only very pleasant but has a lot of wisdom/life lessons...

It's also perfect as bedtime story. Worked well for me! Wink
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I approve of this list some of my all time favourites but Phoenix as best childrens manga i don't have a problem with it but it's not it's intended audience to say the least.

I know Space bro's in there but that still makes more sense.
But we all know Japan is less restrict with showing stuff to kinds Barefoot gen is also a long shot if you think about all the stuff that's going on in there but hey it beats showing children childish cartoons with only stupid stuff happening like they do in the Netherlands.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:

Anyway, after seeing so many news articles about Japanese libraries trying to ban Barefoot Gen or trying to ignore World War 2, it makes me happy that it's so high on the list. It likely means that Japanese families are aware of how important it is, and why it shouldn't be brushed under the rug "for the children's sake."

I was thinking the same thing.

As for Japanese families being more permissive about what children should/shouldn't watch, a good indicator is the Japanese movie rating system. Basically, most movies are considered okay for general audiences. A de-facto G rating is the default, and movie theaters don't even list a rating unless it's above G. And what do you have to do to get a rating above a G? Well, let's just say that the last movie I saw in the theater over here that had a non-G rating was the live action version of "Another," which got a PG-12. Yep. And even I closed my eyes during the spoon-through-the-eye scene.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Ultimatum wrote:
Anyway, after seeing so many news articles about Japanese libraries trying to ban Barefoot Gen ...

Do you have any sources for those articles.
I have not seen anything except an article here on ANN about libraries successfully fighting the ban when local governments tried to ban the book.

EDIT: Actually, I remembered that wrong. The article was about school libraries, not public libraries. This is it animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-24/barefoot-gen-manga-pulled-from-izumisano-city-school-library-shelves

I would still be interested in seeing the stories about libraries banning the book.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Ultimatum wrote:
Anyway, after seeing so many news articles about Japanese libraries trying to ban Barefoot Gen ...

Do you have any sources for those articles.
I have not seen anything except an article here on ANN about libraries successfully fighting the ban when local governments tried to ban the book.

EDIT: Actually, I remembered that wrong. The article was about school libraries, not public libraries. This is it animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-03-24/barefoot-gen-manga-pulled-from-izumisano-city-school-library-shelves

I would still be interested in seeing the stories about libraries banning the book.

That was what I was referring to. There's also this: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-10-06/barefoot-gen-translator-speech-cancelled-at-japanese-junior-high

And this: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-17/barefoot-gen-manga-removed-from-matsue-city-school-libraries
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
WHY are people so shocked?

Most Shonen manga are read by kids.

Take Weekly Shonen Jump for instance. Its serialized Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, YuYu Hakusho, and others. They're all violent, and aimed at kids.

Its also serialized To Love Ru and Medaka Box, which have heavy fan-service.

Kids in Japan read/watch stuff 10 times more mature than kids in NA, IMO.

On an interview, Oda said he is changing to target older people with One Piece now because the original readers(like early 30) are growing older. Characters can die in OP now.

Hunter X Hunter TV schedule changed to 1:30 AM because the theme changed to more mature.
Bingal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Nemui_Nezumi wrote:
Dizzee wrote:
LMAO this is kinda wrong imo, there's a lot of violence and blood in One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball, also these shows are PG-13.

yeah, I think the same

they're well know, that's a thing (those would be shows that you would mention to persons who want to start watching or know more about anime and stuff)

but for kids? unless they minimun 12-13 I don't think they're really appropiate for people younger than that age

Why should Japanese parents (and everyone else) adopt American values when it comes to age appropriateness? As an European, this sounds weird and puzzling to me (and quite arrogant to be brutally honest).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Bingal wrote:

Why should Japanese parents (and everyone else) adopt American values when it comes to age appropriateness? As an European, this sounds weird and puzzling to me (and quite arrogant to be brutally honest).

Ya guys know that goes both ways too, right? Very Happy

So next time ya guys complain why a manga is censored in America, ask yourself:
"Why should American parents (and everyone else) adopt Japanese values when it comes to age appropriateness? That sounds weird and puzzling and arrogant to be brutally honest."

So there shouldn't be any more complaining about censorship.
Camiru Mylle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I would have though something like Yotsuba&! Would have made it on, cute and funny.

LOL, I know right. Smile))

But I'm glad Uchuu Kyoudai (Space Brothers) is on the list.
It's an uplifting story that makes you want to chase you childhood dream. So yeah CHILDHOOD DREAM. haha:)
sunflower

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably read mine stories like Attack on Titan, where kids are whiny shits to their parents, then the parents get eaten and the kids feel bad about it for the rest of their lives. Laughing

(Really, I'd read them Yotsuba&! if they were really little. And Chi.)
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Yay Chihayafuru! But I wonder what the reasoning for picking that would be other than the fact that it's about the Hyakuninisshu and children learn them in grade school.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact, about 65% of Weekly Shonen Jump readers are over the age of 16, in fact ages 18-24 is their highest demographic in the magazine.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
I would have though something like Yotsuba&! Would have made it on, cute and funny.

That's what I thought. "Yotsuba&!" or maybe "Kitchen Princess" they were my first manga's. But Silver Spoon?! That's a pleasurable surprise! Way to go! Very Happy

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Ya guys know that goes both ways too, right?

So next time ya guys complain why a manga is censored in America, ask yourself:
"Why should American parents (and everyone else) adopt Japanese values when it comes to age appropriateness? That sounds weird and puzzling and arrogant to be brutally honest."

So there shouldn't be any more complaining about censorship.

That is such a flawed analogy. Censoring something is completely different than being open minded. Censorship is never good. Especially when it's an already existing product you're trying to sell where people know it's an inferior version and in the case of manga it can end up going out of business or lead people to pirate it to see the original uncut versions.

Spotlessdan wrote:
Hunter X Hunter TV schedule changed to 1:30 AM because the theme changed to more mature.

That's not why Huner x Hunter changed it's timeslot though. And I'm sure you're twisting Oda's words and he probably meant he knows fans who started the series as kids are now adults so he also writes it for all of them like any long running writer will do. It still runs in the same magazine as always.

They are shows for kids, there is no shame in admitting you watch children's anime. Why do people get so hung up on this??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3