• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kotono Mitsuishi Leads New Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweet_kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I also find it funny that people are calling Ami 'moe' when Naoko Takeuchi clearly hates modern otaku culture. For God's sake

Dude, what are you talking about? Do you even know what moe is? Moe is different for every people, you know that tsundere Kirino from Oreimo? She is created to be moe but for me she's not moe at all with all of her jerk attitude. According to your statement Takeuchi sensei might not have any intention to make Mizuno Ami a moe character and Ami is not moe to her but she totally fits 3000% to my standard of moe. And the fact that Cure Peace is going to voice her make it rose to 5000% moe!!!

I hope my little explanation about moe reveal the truth to your uninitiated self!

Last edited by sweet_kungfuman on Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:45 pm Reply with quote
sweet_kungfuman wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
I also find it funny that people are calling Ami 'moe' when Naoko Takeuchi clearly hates modern otaku culture. For God's sake

Dude, what are you talking about? Do you even know what moe is? Moe is different for every people, you know that tsundere Kirino from Oreimo? She is created to be moe but for me she's not moe at all with all of her jerk attitude. According to your statement Takeuchi sensei might not have any intention to make Mizuno Ami a moe character and Ami is not moe to her but she totally fits 3000% to my standard of moe. And the fact that Cure Peace is going to voice her make it rose to 5000% moe!!!

I hope my little explanation about moe reveal the truth to your uninitiated self!

Bahahaha. What a thorough non-definition. Nice grammar, by the way.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the late reply

zeo1fan wrote:
For one thing, Usagi develops a self-awareness about herself and her role as Sailor Moon that remains relatively rare for Magical Girl heroines. She goes beyond questioning her ability to succeed, and questions her ideals; her motivations, in a way that ties into the story eventually eschewing the conventional nature of the battle between good and evil. That the Sailor Soldiers' greater enemy is the cyclical nature of their battle, rather than the enemies they confront in such battles also sets it apart.

It sounds very similar to what is happening now in the latest Naruto (another airhead that gets to be leader) manga (hint: it is ok but not awr inspiring), so if it is really something to go "wow" I would need to see it in the anime adaption to pass any judgement.

Quote:
I feel like going in more deeply than that would spoil the story, so I'll focus on something a bit more...sociological; until a relatively short while ago, it had been exceedingly common for gay characters to die at the end of their stories; the natural result of their forbidden natures, their forbidden relationships. So it's worth noting that Uranus and Neptune were an early instance of a loving, supporting gay couple that got a happy ending; that weren't bumped off in the end. Hell; Haruka's still one of the most 'out' gay characters in anime.

Last season Sakura Trick was made into an anime with lesbian couples as the sole plot element and it sold around the manabi line; so no, lesbians, yuri, etc. will not be enough to make this remake sell noticeably.
sweet_kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Dude, what are you talking about? What I wrote is the explanation on how moe works differently on every peeple, I never said anything about its definition. Calm down, this is just internet no need to get so worked up & start insulting people D:
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Sorry for the late reply

zeo1fan wrote:
For one thing, Usagi develops a self-awareness about herself and her role as Sailor Moon that remains relatively rare for Magical Girl heroines. She goes beyond questioning her ability to succeed, and questions her ideals; her motivations, in a way that ties into the story eventually eschewing the conventional nature of the battle between good and evil. That the Sailor Soldiers' greater enemy is the cyclical nature of their battle, rather than the enemies they confront in such battles also sets it apart.

It sounds very similar to what is happening now in the latest Naruto (another airhead that gets to be leader) manga (hint: it is ok but not awr inspiring), so if it is really something to go "wow" I would need to see it in the anime adaption to pass any judgement.

Quote:
I feel like going in more deeply than that would spoil the story, so I'll focus on something a bit more...sociological; until a relatively short while ago, it had been exceedingly common for gay characters to die at the end of their stories; the natural result of their forbidden natures, their forbidden relationships. So it's worth noting that Uranus and Neptune were an early instance of a loving, supporting gay couple that got a happy ending; that weren't bumped off in the end. Hell; Haruka's still one of the most 'out' gay characters in anime.

Last season Sakura Trick was made into an anime with lesbian couples as the sole plot element and it sold around the manabi line; so no, lesbians, yuri, etc. will not be enough to make this remake sell noticeably.

To your first response, no. Usagi's not an 'airhead' in the manga. It's more akin to Madoka than it is Naruto.

To your second response, Haruka and Michiru aren't used as some fetishistic hook. Their relationship is tasteful, rather than salacious. They're mature and intelligent. And I don't think you realize how rare 'Non' S-Class lesbians are in anime or manga.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote
sweet_kungfuman wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Dude, what are you talking about? What I wrote is the explanation on how moe works differently on every peeple, I never said anything about its definition. Calm down, this is just internet no need to get so worked up & start insulting people D:

It may garner different reactions from different people, but the core remains the same, and that core is regressive.
electricpatriot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to the new series.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Sorry for the late reply

zeo1fan wrote:

Quote:

It doesn't need to sell 10K+ or even 6k, it can profit almost exclusively on merchandise alone.
sweet_kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
It may garner different reactions from different people, but the core remains the same, and that core is regressive.

Dude, what are you talking about? without the moe culture, anime won't reach the same degree of success as you see today. Moe is progressive!!!

You can blame Takeuchi Sensei for the popularity of moe, because one her character plays an important role in shaping the moe culture in mahou shoujo history! With or without her realizing it.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
To your second response, Haruka and Michiru ...

Which takes us to the heart of the matter. IMO this new series will at most run up to the end of the first arc (so no outer senshi) and will be a fluke very similar to the new Rozen Maiden series. Both series were very popular in its heyday, hardcore fans claimed that the anime version was a butchered version of the noble and pure manga version. Both have the original mangaka working in the new version closely with the anime studio. Both have character designs very similar to the manga version. Both will follow closely the original manga rendition. Both will be forgotten as soon as the last episode ends.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
sweet_kungfuman wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Dude, what are you talking about? without the moe culture, anime won't reach the same degree of success as you see today. Moe is progressive!!!

You can blame Takeuchi Sensei for the popularity of moe, because one her character plays an important role in shaping the moe culture in mahou shoujo history! With or without her realizing it.

Yes. The 'pure' ideal is so progressive. And no. What happened is, certain qualities were diluted from a series of characters and then reframed to fit into a cultural ideal, in order to turn a profit off of the otaku market. For example, Mercury was badass, but she was also demure, and conservative. So the industry basically said: "Hmm. If we remove the 'badassitude', those traits could be used to manufacture a 'pure' personality, to sell." And so they did:

zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Which takes us to the heart of the matter. IMO this new series will at most run up to the end of the first arc (so no outer senshi) and will be a fluke very similar to the new Rozen Maiden series. Both series were very popular in its heyday, hardcore fans claimed that the anime version was a butchered version of the noble and pure manga version. Both have the original mangaka working in the new version closely with the anime studio. Both have character designs very similar to the manga version. Both will follow closely the original manga rendition. Both will be forgotten as soon as the last episode ends.

Except you don't know how long the anime run, how many arcs they plan to cover, whether the new anime will be close to the manga; on top of that, you're not accounting for the fact that they had different studios, and Sailor Moon had a much more significant impact than the other. You're using correlation, which is, naturally, a pretty flimsy way to make a point.
merr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

The demographics and revenue streams are entirely different. Rozen Maiden was a modestly successful seinen/otaku show that followed the standard late night airing + DVD sales model. Sailor Moon was and still is a much larger property. This production is aimed squarely at the Japanese women who grew up watching Sailor Moon 20 years ago but haven't watched an anime since, hence the constant barrage of upscale Sailor Moon themed jewelry, perfume, lingerie, etc. we've seen over the past year. It's not airing on television, and we don't even know whether a typical DVD release is planned.

Last edited by merr on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:59 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Except you don't know how long the anime run, how many arcs they plan to cover, ...

Let's not ignore the fact that the era of manga adaptions with endless episodes is at its end, nowadays having 26 episode runs is as good as it gets. If someone was making a profit out of the series (like with Tanken Driland, also by Toei) you might get a 52 episodes run, but Kodansha has already made the natural profit they can from the SM manga after two decades and it is just as feasible that Naoko will continue SM as it is that Toriyama will continue DB. So it is quite natural nowadays to expect a run between 10-26 episodes, which will probably be just enough to cover the basic plotline.
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
(Putting in my 2¢ or in this case ¥2 Smile )

I actually like the new character designs. It's much closer to the original manga character designs of Naoko Takeuchi (my guess is that she was heavily consulted on the designs!) and best of all, in my opinion they also avoided the moe-like character designs of more recent anime.

As for the fact only two episodes per month will be produced, don't forget the storyline of the new series will be pretty much faithful to the original manga series, and as such you can only produce so many episodes of out of the original manga source material. It's going to be very interesting to see how they deal with the much darker storyline of the original manga, though.

The question now is who will stream the series in the USA? It may be either Daisuki or FUNimation that gets the US streaming rights, especially since Crunchyroll has a relationship with TV Tokyo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14