• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aldnoah.Zero Space Robot TV Anime's 2nd Ad Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34 am Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
New Butcher show, new Watanabe show. A remake of Sailor Moon that I'm going to watch at least one episode of, probably a couple more shows I've forgotten about July is going to be awesome.

And seeing Takao Shimura design against type is hilarious.

Zenkyou no Terror (the Watanabe show) just may be the best thing that airs this year...or the biggest let down (look how M3's first episode turned out and that show looked awesome!).

I personally pray it'll be good. Ping Pong the animation was hyped before it aired and 3 episodes in the hype is absolutely justified.

If an anime about ping pong can pull that off then hopefully an anime about terrorism should too...

...I'm just setting myself up for disappointment, aren't I?
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:
The music sounds just like Shingeki no Kyojin and Kill la Kill's. Still excellent but Mr Sawano might want to mix things up a bit going forward, stylistic trademarks (the choir) aside.

As for the fact that Mr Urobuchi is attached to this I might just have to pass. Everything he's done has been boring as hell to me and that's because of one reason: his characters.

He's got the ideas, though, will give him that (cool premise for Psycho Pass and to an extent Madoka, which was awful as hell in my opinion).

His characters (from Madoka to Kiritsugu to Tsunemori to Ledo) just suck major ass in the likability and being able to identify with them (if you don't like them) department and when those two things are lacking it's pretty hard to get stuck in the world he's created since the characters are supposed to be the viewer's proxy.

(Fate Zero was a prime example, one of the worst anime I've ever watched. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day)

that's just your opinion. If must never watch alot of anime anyway you think Fate Zero is the one of the worst anime.
Ranho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Ranho wrote:
The music sounds just like Shingeki no Kyojin and Kill la Kill's. Still excellent but Mr Sawano might want to mix things up a bit going forward, stylistic trademarks (the choir) aside.

As for the fact that Mr Urobuchi is attached to this I might just have to pass. Everything he's done has been boring as hell to me and that's because of one reason: his characters.

He's got the ideas, though, will give him that (cool premise for Psycho Pass and to an extent Madoka, which was awful as hell in my opinion).

His characters (from Madoka to Kiritsugu to Tsunemori to Ledo) just suck major ass in the likability and being able to identify with them (if you don't like them) department and when those two things are lacking it's pretty hard to get stuck in the world he's created since the characters are supposed to be the viewer's proxy.

(Fate Zero was a prime example, one of the worst anime I've ever watched. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day)

that's just your opinion. If must never watch alot of anime anyway you think Fate Zero is the one of the worst anime.

Yup, just my opinion.

Oh and I've watched 200 plus and counting. Can name a few anime that are better than that piece of crap.

Would you like me to?

Berserk, Claymore, Black Lagoon, Higurashi, Steins;Gate, Durarara, NANA, White Album 2 (Mr Urobuchi could learn a thing or two from this anime, very realistic characters), Eden of the East, Gunslinger Girl, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Planetes, Spice and Wolf, Welcome to the NHK, Oregairu, FMA: Brotherhood, Eureka 7, Gungrave...

Now what do most of the above anime I mentioned share in common? Oh that's right, characters you can either like or at the very least understand.

Not ciphers like Madoka, bores like Tsunemori or that idiot assassin turned world savior from FZ (worst main character in ever).

But yeah, just my opinion.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Ranho wrote:

The problem with his characters are that they tend to be tied to an idea, concept or force that they are supposed to be representative of and at times when dialogue gets really jargon heavy it can feel like this is all that defines them and that they aren't particularly dynamic. Basically he seems to lack the human touch when writing characters and while his approach can still be kind of interesting it's hard not to notice in terms of how his characters feel more like a means to the end of plot points rather than ones effected by it. Part of the key behind Gundam success which this franchise aims to surpass is that it really made you feel for the casts struggle against forces in the conflict that were bigger then them and hows those conflicts shaped and evolved those characters forever as they grew older. We follow Amuro Ray, Char Aznable, Bright Noah well into their adult years as the franchise goes on and even beyond the point where they contribute actively to the story and how they're experiences and shared wisdom affect other characters around them and in term define them. It has a very multi-generational epic feel to it that makes it more than just the toy commercial it was conceived as and has made it an enduring property in the realm of anime and even sci-fi in general.

I really hope the people behind this franchise understand that much when they claim this is supposed to be the new Gundam or even "surpass" it, but I have my doubts. Plus if Madoka Magica Rebellion really is Gen Urobuchi and Aniplex's idea of proper character development than we're in for a lot of trouble. Personally when I see that kind of approach taken I can't help but think back to the Best of 2000's ANNcast where somebody (I think Hope Chapman) talked about New Media and shows that are reliant on eliciting a certain fan response and keeping the hype juices flowing through the community with shocking twists and an in your face and often unusual approach to storytelling that bucks tradition. This approach IMO can seem really introspective and "smart" with the often cryptic dialogue and weird direction choices but they often end up feeling like more of a stylistic choice leading me to think of a lot of Aniplex's recent hits as a sort of triumph of pure style over substance. It can still be fun, but it's not really what I'm looking for in order to call a show exceptional versus a lot of the community where it seems to be more than enough.

Shows like Madoka Magica, Monogatari, Guilty Crown, SAO, Fate/Zero, Kill la Kill etc. all but embody this approach and I fear we're going to see it taken again with Aldnoah.Zero and I don't want to see a mecha show succeed just because of crass marketing and having the right names attached to the project and taking people on some twisty grimdark journey for however many episodes before dumping them abruptly at the end as I feel many of their recent works have (Valvrave anyone?) . I want people who are too stubborn watch older shows to see what it is I liked so much about shows like Gundam and why it has such an enduring legacy.

I don't know there's so much about this project that just has me predicting disaster and that I'll probably end up really disappointed by it while it becomes the next big thing because Gen Urobuchi is writing it and god knows he can do no wrong.

Last edited by Kaioshin_Sama on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping this turn out to be good in the "truly good" way and not "so bad it's entertaining" like certain & recent mecha shows...and speaking about the mecha, they look fantastic. Very slick and real robot style.
Ranho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
Ranho wrote:

The problem with his characters are that they tend to be tied to an idea, concept or force that they are supposed to be representative of and at times when dialogue gets really jargon heavy it can feel like this is all that defines them and that they aren't particularly dynamic. Basically he seems to lack the human touch when writing characters and while his approach can still be kind of interesting it's hard not to notice in terms of how his characters feel more like a means to the end of plot points rather than ones effected by it.

So. Damn. True.

I get why people like his work though even if some of them don't.

It's pretty much for the same reason why Kill la Kill and Shingeki no Kyojin are so beloved despite being just "okay" (well, Shingeki was BAD): Pretty art, great music, interesting premise, loads of action and most important of all in a sea of so-so to outright horrible anime they stand out by bucking the trends.

All of the above doth not a good anime maketh, though (Ufotable's gorgeous animation and Type-Moon's gorgeous character designs aside. It's so bad I just might give the Fate/Stay Night remake a pass despite the fact Mr Urobuchi isn't even connected to that. I've been scarred that badly...).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2