• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Idol Warship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^
I wouldn't be too worried about that. The whole concept of "generations" that can be clearly defined and closely analysed is a load of crock that has little to no bearing on actual reality.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I wouldn't be too worried about that. The whole concept of "generations" that can be clearly defined and closely analysed is a load of crock that has little to no bearing on actual reality.

As someone who's studied Social Psychology at length, I can attest to that not being accurate. Trends change over time and as trends change, so do values. People are products of their environments. and when environments change, so do people. Generational differences are just like that; people being different because of changing social climates.
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Beautiful shelf set-up Jon!
Clean, neat, open, plenty of space for additions without looking barren. I dream of having this type of display. I really like how the shelves are shallow as well. So there's only an inch or two till the edge. I have book cases and there's like a good 5 inches till the edge.
Like this random pic I found online: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/kyousouka/gaia/manga0501e.jpg
Makes the room feel tiny and cramped. :<
Woops sorry for rambling.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
I've known a great many people like that, most of them in high school. Honestly, I think it's a generational difference, as that type of behavior seems to be more tolerated now than ever before and I really think it's getting worse more than anything. From what I've seen there appears to be a growing sense of entitlement from the youth, which is exacerbated by increasingly liberal psychological standards and the growth of technology.

Obviously, when you and I were kids we didn't always have little devices in our hands that we could use to obtain everything we wanted and I think a certain amount of that, combined with the notion that parental punishment in most forms is condemned, has continuously led to an increase in tolerance for these types of behaviors.

Well put Asher. As someone who is thirty himself, I feel like while I can still connect with today's teenagers on some level (at least during lessons when I have knowledge of pop culture, memes and fads that they obsess about), oftentimes I see that they let their mobiles do all the talking for them. Taking that privilege away from them suddenly sends them over the edge and they act like their entire world has fallen to pieces. It's worse when they get all hostile about it and threaten to bring their parents in even though they broke the rules or brought their own bad grades on themselves.

Not to mention those same insufferable teens who go around doing idiotic things they think are cool and their parents can't beat the crap out of them as punishment later due to the nation going soft with the whole "hitting your kids is abuse and you'll damage their futures" philosophy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
As someone who's studied Social Psychology at length, I can attest to that not being accurate.

As someone who actually looks at real people and their social beliefs and economic circumstances instead of some birth rate numbers on a computer, I can tell you that you're wrong, and that generations are far more complex than the Baby Boomers -> X -> Y/Millennials -> Z classifications.

AsherFischell wrote:
Trends change over time and as trends change, so do values. People are products of their environments. and when environments change, so do people. Generational differences are just like that; people being different because of changing social climates.Generational differences are just like that; people being different because of changing social climates.

Of course this is true, I never said it wasn't. What I did say was that generations cannot be clearly defined, labeled and stuck into neat little boxes. Progress in the afterwar period has been too rapid and continuous to nicely break into tidy little chunks that can be closely analysed.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you can definitely be a millennial who acts like they're from the 1950s, but still socially liberal and a luddite.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Of course this is true, I never said it wasn't. What I did say was that generations cannot be clearly defined, labeled and stuck into neat little boxes. Progress in the afterwar period has been too rapid and continuous to nicely break into tidy little chunks that can be closely analysed.

Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry about that. I thought you were speaking specifically, not generally.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I thought Nyaruko was alright. It was just some silly fluff to me; though I really liked Kuuko, I'll admit. The opening themes to both seasons are also pretty catchy. That being said, I'd never buy it; it's not a show that's really worth the money.

Personally I'm really excited for when NISA will announce the release date for their Uchouten Kazoku set. Now that was a great anime! I'd also love to see them bring over some more drama anime (like they did with Bunny Drop).
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Nyaruko's not really for everybody. I only got hooked because of the blatant Decade and Diend in one of the first episodes. Kinda glad I stuck with it because I ended up with a new favorite insert song.

Kurogane no Striver was amazing. Very Happy

Doesn't help that it was a blatant Knight Blazer homage.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I found AKB0048 to be extremely creepy, in that the girls were titled after and had to act like their long-dead predecessors. The show pretends to be about individualism and expressing oneself and being culturally enriched, but in actuality it champions conformity, blind adherence to tradition and cultural staleness.

Yes, I found the same values dissonance in Eureka 7 - the "rebels" fighting to protect an organism that was turning humanity into an homogenous blob. This may well reflect a conflict at the heart of modern Japanese culture.

Rotoscoped dancing is also horribly creepy.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
notrogersmith wrote:

I know what you mean, though what came to my mind wasn't the Roman's but rather prolefeed from Orwell's 1984. Not that idol singer music would have to be prolefeed, but as musical genres go, it would be fairly easy for a totalitarian regime to co-opt it as such.

This is a great point. I think "prolefeed" is a good phrase to bring up, although I guess in AKB0048 it's kind of the opposite, since the government specifically wants to remove contentment, and kill people's spirits.

Their use of idol groups is a dichotomy. Because in real life, idol music is closer to prolefeed. Idol systems are basically indentured servants, not having the freedom to do what their hearts and minds really want to sing, merely just following what their masters order them, to appease the masses no matter what with essentially a wholelottanuthins.

Megiddo wrote:

However, there is a much larger amount of references, which is easily one of if not the main reason to watch the show. So if referential humor isn't for you, then there isn't too much to watch Nyaruko for.

Kinda shows like Robot Chicken.

ArthurFrDent wrote:

Naturally we put a civilized veneer over this as humans, but the rest of the natural world is about finding food, avoiding being killed, and makin' babies.

That's it. Nothing else. Oddly, we preen as humans that we are somehow doing something to make a "difference" in the world, and yet only the stones will remember us when we are gone.

It's actually because humans were able to break that cycle that allowed humans to dominate. And no, humans already made too much difference in the world --good and bad-- that humans will be remembered even after our sun goes red giant and swallows up the Earth (we've already sent parts of us out in space, probes, radio waves, who knows what else in the future, etc).
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Nyaruko is an otaku reference comedy. If you do not get the references, then odds are you are not going to enjoy it. However, unlike, say, Pani Poni Dash where it's just wacky nonsense thrown about everywhere, Nyaruko is confined to Lovecraftian lore. So not only are there a ton of otaku references, but also a ton of Lovecraft references as well. To see an example of this, just check out Nyaruref a blog that is dedicated completely to the multitude of references from the show, that link in particular going to episode 1.

That's not to say that Bamboo was wrong in her assessment of the comedy. There is a ton of "molesting" as she put it. However, there is a much larger amount of references, which is easily one of if not the main reason to watch the show. So if referential humor isn't for you, then there isn't too much to watch Nyaruko for.

I have to say I am in entire agreement with this. I personally loved this series, although I will admit the first season worked a bit better for me than the second, same as I found with Is this a Zombie?, but I still enjoyed it. And I loved it in no small part because it tickled me in the old school SF/Lovcraftian funnybone from those references more than the other Otaku/cultural references (although more than a few of them made me laugh too). That being said, I can see where Bamboo is coming from, but I think that this series does have more to offer than her review is indicating, but that it is also a very limited range offering as noted by Megiddo. So I would not call it perishable but I wouldn't call it shelfworthy either, but I do think it is rental level, especially if you like this sort of thing, just be aware it is not going to work for everyone, and those it does not work for it is likely to really not work for.

As to the shelf worthy branding of ABB0048, I am entirely with dtm42:

dtm42 wrote:
I found AKB0048 to be extremely creepy, in that the girls were titled after and had to act like their long-dead predecessors. The show pretends to be about individualism and expressing oneself and being culturally enriched, but in actuality it champions conformity, blind adherence to tradition and cultural staleness. When you think about it, the girls are just as bad as the system they are fighting. Heck, they're arguably worse, because they indulge in blatant and systematic hypocrisy.

I also was not that impressed with the series as the reviewer was on visual terms (I really find rotoscoping hard to take, to my vision it is very jarring) nor the music (and I love anime OSTs and such, have a large collection of them) although that is not to say the music is at all bad, it clearly is not I just am not quite as impressed with it is all I'm saying, and as dtm42 notes the characters themselves come off to me as just creepy in their need to subsume their own selves into the personas they were taking on while supposedly representing the best of individual freedom to enjoy life, I found that incredibly jarring. Mind you I've always found the "idol" thing more than a little disturbing to begin with so that doesn't help either in terms of my ability to enjoy this series because it does sell you so much on that fantasy as opposed to the underlying ugly realities that other shows underscore about that niche. I've never been able to finish the second season, and I struggled with the first. I only did that much because so many other people seemed to find it worth it, but for me, well, not so much. So for me this one comes closer to perishable than Nyarko does, but I freely admit that is only in regards to my own personal tastes.

As to the final series under review, I've yet to see it, while I've heard various things about it, since I have not actually seen it I am not in a position to comment on it (yes, I know, what a concept).

In any event, while in this case I tended to disagree with the reviews I still liked reading them and having them, I long ago recognized the reality that I will never agree with any reviewer on anything, nor should I, what I do look for is good substance in the review and decent detailing of the material in question and in that I am content with this column despite my own differences of opinions on the body of it. So thanks for the hard work Bamboo, it is appreciated.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:33 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I found AKB0048 to be extremely creepy, in that the girls were titled after and had to act like their long-dead predecessors. The show pretends to be about individualism and expressing oneself and being culturally enriched, but in actuality it champions conformity, blind adherence to tradition and cultural staleness. When you think about it, the girls are just as bad as the system they are fighting. Heck, they're arguably worse, because they indulge in blatant and systematic hypocrisy.

I agree with this completely and it's the reason why I have both seasons of AKB0048 - social horror story.

I don't know anything about AKB0048 but I know enough about the Idol industry to know :1) It doesn't matter and 2) There is no 2.

For example, there's the member who replaces herself with her genetic descendant, on the surface, it's just disturbing but once you start considering how it could most easily be done, you start to make some "connections"; "So they marry a guy who resembles their father and they always have girls, girls who in fact have to look like their mother?" Ehh? I mean, Eww? It's science fiction, if they just said "cloning", it would have been fine but then... And "robot girl" doesn't help either. Either the producers are completely unaware of their social commentary or it's one of the more subtle satires out there. Seeing how it was produced in tandem with the group, I have no idea which one it would be.

Shelfworthy! For all the wrong reasons but, fine, be blind to the implications of competing for a vacuous life. I'll stay blind to the group itself, which the anime has only cemented my stance {The music and lyrics are writing by something akin to a Lovecraftian god? Why not?}.

I'm not familiar with the show Nyarko {I wouldn't mind seeing it but CR is completely off my radar, I don't buy sub only and watching illegal downloads is kind of boring} but Nyarlathotep is a shape shifting mound of chaos than takes on the form it choses. You can't even appreciate the show as one step removed from Yaoi if it felt like it one day?

Quote:
Like many, I was completely appalled by the first episode of Pet Girl

A few, some, a couple? It was "many"? Mashiro's "pet" name's a metaphor for the guy taking in stray cats {cat comparisons continue through out the entire series}; If "many" people don't get that, then "many" people need to take Critical Literature classes.

If "many" people don't like the implications of some people just need the help, then I recommend blinders. They work for horses, don't they?
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm not familiar with the show Nyarko {I wouldn't mind seeing it but CR is completely off my radar, I don't buy sub only and watching illegal downloads is kind of boring} but Nyarlathotep is a shape shifting mound of chaos than takes on the form it choses. You can't even appreciate the show as one step removed from Yaoi if it felt like it one day?
Nyaruko has an older brother who refers to her as his little sister. That strongly suggests that Nyarlathotepians have discrete sexes. Not so terribly sure about Cthughans, though.

For the love triangle, though, I'm pretty sure that having three people longing after the main character qualifies it as a harem, even if one's already counted themself out.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Quote:
Like many, I was completely appalled by the first episode of Pet Girl

A few, some, a couple? It was "many"? Mashiro's "pet" name's a metaphor for the guy taking in stray cats {cat comparisons continue through out the entire series}; If "many" people don't get that, then "many" people need to take Critical Literature classes.

If "many" people don't like the implications of some people just need the help, then I recommend blinders. They work for horses, don't they?

You realize that just about everything in the first episode set the show up to be a cliche romcom right? After watching the whole series the opening episode was probably the weakest imo because it gives people a very WRONG impression of how the show will play out. I know for a fact I was tempted to drop it immediately but am glad I stuck around for the wacky ride.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4