• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Legend of the Dragon Kings

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
If Manga UK dubbed it in London, do the characters have British accents? I can't recall seeing an anime dubbed with British accents, even though it seems like quite a few anime were actually dubbed in Great Britain

Not a Manga UK dub, but L/R uses various UK accents for most of the characters. UK to my Midwest ears anyway.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
^What's L/R?

To my New Yorker ears, anything from the other side of the pond is going to sound quite British. A Funi VA approximated an English accent for his character in Darker than Black. I thought it sounded fantastic, but I wonder what someone from England would think. I haven't heard many Animax Asia dubs, but the ones I've heard sound like the VAs use American accents (still wonder how Emma: A Victorian Romance turned out there). It would be cool to hear a dub in which the English sounds different to my ears.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:11 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I haven't heard many Animax Asia dubs, but the ones I've heard sound like the VAs use American accents (still wonder how Emma: A Victorian Romance turned out there).

Mixed North American and British accents. Weird, I know. I'm guessing the dubbing director decided that only actual British actors should use British accents. No time for dialect coaching, probably, like for JD Stone as Junior in R.O.D the TV. Candice Moore sounds so much better when she's not doing an American accent.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
^What's L/R?

An anime called L/R: Licensed by Royalty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
amon1981

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
Reviving a bit of an old thread.

I actually quite like this, yes I can see its a sub par series, but it was one of the first I saw back in the 90's.

I first saw episode 9 on Channel 4's Late-&-Live III after a friend told be Channel 4 show anime on Saturday nights after seeing Ninja Scroll and Devilman - The Birth off a VHS he recorded a few weeks before.

I ended up buying all 12 of Manga's VHS tapes and seeing them a good few times. Years later I got the imported the DVD boxset from America with the hope of getting it better quality and finally watching it in Japanese. Well a few years have since passed and I've still only seen the first 2 episodes in Japanese. The dub on the dvds are terrible! Just bland. I much prefer manga's version.

As for Manga's dubs, most were iffy American accents, with the odd British one thrown in.

But they didl do some stuff better, such as 3x3 Eyes, I cant remember his name, but in the second OVA (even though manga release it as one) there is an Australian character. In the manga version he speaks with an Australian accent, but the Bandai redub he says he's Australian, but is talking with an American accent the whole time. I only saw that dub once and it was in the back ground, but that caught my attention and has always bugged me

One of the only fully British accents one I can think of was the vhs of Cat Girl Nuku Nuku OVA, but I don't think that was by manga as I borrowed it off a friend who didn't have a case for it. The imported dvd I got years later has been redubbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2