• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Psycho-Pass Season One Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:

Blade Runner has aged spectacularly well in my opinion.To this day the aesthetics of that film look beautiful.And yes that movie was really influential on anime scene .I remember reading an interview with Oshii in which he said that he watched Blade Runner 30 times.

Wait, which version is the better one?
Oppai_are_life

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
Anyone know how this did in Japan saleswise? It cannot have been too bad if it can merit a second season.

From memory it sold about 8k average, and it had some of the highest TV ratings for the noitamina block that it aired in.
unready

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
unready wrote:
The biggest ones are:
Blade Runner
Total Recall
Imposter
Minority Report
Paycheck
A Scanner Darkly

I wouldn't recommend seeing Imposter and Paycheck.

Imposter and Paycheck got panned by the critics, but you can still see Dick's influence in the story. Interestingly, Imposter is probably the most straight-forward telling of a Dick story, Paycheck the least straight-forward.

Imposter may be a good example of how reproducing the pacing of a printed story does not necessarily produce a well-paced visual story. The story has to take the main characters from utter certainty to complete doubt about what's real and what's fake.

Paycheck is a good example of what happens when you let Hollywood do whatever it wants to a story. You get a Hollywood (action) movie.

Oh, well.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:

On the subject of the dub: at the very least, I think Ginoza is easily Josh Grelle's best role to date. Awkward script anomalies aside, I felt like he really nailed the character.

Agreed, guess I could have mentioned this. I wouldn't say it's his best because he's done a ton of good stuff, but he is the best in the dub, and I couldn't even tell it was his voice to begin with, ha ha. Really good dub Ginoza.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
I can't give honest and thoughtful critique since it's been a while since I watched Psycho Pass and quite frankly it wasn't unforgettable. But I was mostly satisfied by it...except for the final episodes. spoiler[ The various antagonists where interesting and exciting but Shougo didn't deliver in the end IMO. But more importantly, I think Akane is a really weak main character and I wasn't thrilled by the one-note Kogami either.]

I would comment on how a lot of stuff of the talking brains didn't make sense but like I said, it's been a long time since I watched the show and I moved on.

I will say though that it was a decent enough series to check out the 2nd season.

[EDIT: Spoiler tags added. -TK]
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:04 pm Reply with quote
So, is there both a second season and a re-edited version?
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Knight-Hart wrote:

Yep
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:

On the subject of the dub: at the very least, I think Ginoza is easily Josh Grelle's best role to date. Awkward script anomalies aside, I felt like he really nailed the character.

Agreed, guess I could have mentioned this. I wouldn't say it's his best because he's done a ton of good stuff, but he is the best in the dub, and I couldn't even tell it was his voice to begin with, ha ha. Really good dub Ginoza.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that he nailed Ginoza. From Ginoza's general condescending attitude to his occasional moments of levity and kindness, Josh Grelle freaking nailed it.

Despite some of the dubs issues, his role might be one of the best this year.
Xelorei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Redcrimson wrote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that he nailed Ginoza. From Ginoza's general condescending attitude to his occasional moments of levity and kindness, Josh Grelle freaking nailed it.

Despite some of the dubs issues, his role might be one of the best this year.

I also really liked Josh's performance here, though that's not too surprising since I love most of his work. It is really cool to hear get to use his lower range in an important role like this, I must say. Very Happy

I feel like I kinda had a different reaction to this dub than most other people, including Hope. I actually really enjoyed these performances a lot, and didn't think they were particularly wooden, with one exception: Kate Oxley's Akane was pretty bad, and totally guilty of being wooden and filled. with. awkward. pauses. >=P If anything drudged this dub down to being only passable, it was her. While I disagree with that the majority of the show's performances were lifeless, her's certainly was, and that really did hurt the dub overall. :/

Last edited by Xelorei on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Knight-Hart wrote:

Yep

Awesome. I thought it was just a re-edited version and was kind of disappointed.
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Blade Runner has aged spectacularly well in my opinion.To this day the aesthetics of that film look beautiful.And yes that movie was really influential on anime scene .I remember reading an interview with Oshii in which he said that he watched Blade Runner 30 times.

Wait, which version is the better one?

Not sure what you're asking; which version of Blade Runner is better? I'll go with that since it lets me go on a tangent.

The Theatrical cut is an abomination. Scott would likely prefer people watch the Ultimate Cut, but that just happens to cut out one of my all-time favorite lines in any movie. It annoyed me so much that I re-edited it using the Director's Cut to put the line back in and burned my own blu-ray of it.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:45 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
normajean19 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
I haven't seen Blade Runner before but I thought this review summed it up pretty well.

If you like Psycho-pass you have to see Blade Runner! Its an incredibly influential science fiction film.

Blade Runner pretty much started the PK Dick craze. If you see the movie today, the ending is different (more downbeat) from when it was released. I've got the super-deluxe incredibly-special-edition of the DVD, and it doesn't even include the original theatrical ending as a bonus feature or anything. Apparently that's just how much Ridley Scott hated it.

The 30th Anniversary and the previous anniversary BD set has every single cut of Blade Runner - even a crappy workprint version is included in the set. Though I don't see why anyone would want to watch the old versions, they're all available on BD.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
This is the anime equivalent of the modern hipster who, in a desperate bid to "sound smart", makes incredibly shallow and inappropriate references to works that "sound smart". The sheer mass of wannabe "pithy" quotes smacked of narcissism, as if the Urobutcher thought that by constantly quoting greatness he could become great himself. Delusions of grandeur, raging narcissism...should we be starting a fund to get Gen Urobuchi the psychological help that he needs?

With Psycho-pass, Gen Urobuchi has badly painted a "Paint-by-numbers" version of the Mona Lisa and has convinced himself that it, due to its crude resemblance, deserves to be hung next to the genuine article in the Louvre.

Perhaps the worst part about Psycho-pass was that the entire Talisman Arc, what the show essentially opened on, was not only weak but was completely superfluous.
Trypticon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:11 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
With Psycho-pass, Gen Urobuchi has badly painted a "Paint-by-numbers" version of the Mona Lisa and has convinced himself that it, due to its crude resemblance, deserves to be hung next to the genuine article in the Louvre.

Everything in some way, shape or form is copied from something else; the greatest works are the ones stolen from something else. As the saying goes that I was taught when I took music in college: “Good artists borrow; Great Artists Steal.”

Not only is does this series do a great job of “stealing” from other works, but what I find even more genius is how Gen Urobuchi is able to recycle his own concepts. For those who are Madoka and Psycho-Pass fans here’s a subtle hint with some words:

spoiler[Lifecycle-> Career, Magical Girl-> Detective, Witch->Enforcer, Sibyl->Kyubey.]

Of course, aside from the massive heaps of depth and allegory I got from this series, it was also quite fun and enjoyable just on the surface level as well.

Of course, you’re entitled to your opinion and your right to express it; but I can say with great confidence that I completely disagree with it. I got a lot of enjoyment on so many levels with Psycho-Pass, but then again, maybe that’s just me.

Of course some people who me know that I have a tendency to "read too much" into things as they like to say when I call it seeing what I see.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
A fair and thoughtful review, as usual. (Why no comment on the excellent Japanese acting, though? Hanazawa, Seki, and Sakurai did a great job, as did the supporting cast.)

As someone who owns the complete collection of Philip K. Dick's short stories (and calls Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep? one of her favorite novels of all time), this series was, of course, very much made for me. The movie adaptations of Dick's stories rarely do the source material justice, except for Blade Runner, for obvious reasons. Psycho-Pass did, in spirit and soul. What it lacked in subtlety, it made up for with awesome dialogue and challenging thought constructs. It might, indeed, have profited from being shortened, though, I agree. I'm glad the soundtrack got mentioned, as I also felt it was particularly well fitting, and very memorable.

Let's see what happens in autumn with season 2, I'm very much torn between excitement and skepticism.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4